Summit Refurbishment supposed to be completed for its 1/28/2012 Voyage??

Liesel

I have been checking on the Summit’s January 28th seven nights trip to the Caribbean. I was told the refurbishing of the Summit will start the first of January 2012 and will be completed for its voyage on the 28th. I am a little worried about the new carpet gases and if everything will work properly on the first trip:) — getting the kinks out, etc.

Any suggestions? Has anybody ever taken the first trip after refurbishment?

Here's a link to CC's diary of the refurb process on the Connie:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/virtual/virtual.cfm?ID=37

And here's a page with reviews from several passengers on the Connie shakedown cruise:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=272&sort=date_newest&StartRow=101

My wife and I are going on this Summit shakedown, so we hope Celebrity has learned from the Connie experience!

Any project the size of the refurb of the Summit is going to present issues that may or may not be corrected by the first sailing. As for concerns like carpet gases, etc, there is no way to avoid certainties like odors from glues, adhesives, paints, new furnishings, carpeting etc. I'm amazed all this can be accompished in such a short time period. If your concerns are that great, I would postpone my trip for another time because thinking the first trip out is going to be seamless is wishful thinking. On the other hand, some of us wouldn't be bothered a great deal by having a few things incomplete or a few construction odors that may be experienced, I'm sure it will still be a wonderful cruise.

If it were just a question of learning from previous projects, that would be too easy, no projects are alike. Thats why after hundreds of years of experts planning and working that issues still arise. Luckily, we have learned a great deal and because of that experience, knowledge and expertise, projects like these are done as well as they are.

Here's a link to CC's diary of the refurb process on the Connie:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/virtual/virtual.cfm?ID=37

And here's a page with reviews from several passengers on the Connie shakedown cruise:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=272&sort=date_newest&StartRow=101

My wife and I are going on this Summit shakedown, so we hope Celebrity has learned from the Connie experience!

Oh, how fun that will be! I'll give you a quarter if you'll take pictures of the Celebrity Suite on deck six for me! I can hardly wait to see the new balcony! What type of cabin are you sailing in?

Oh, how fun that will be! I'll give you a quarter if you'll take pictures of the Celebrity Suite on deck six for me! I can hardly wait to see the new balcony! What type of cabin are you sailing in?

Inside on deck 9, so I don't think I'll be getting any Suite pix (but hopefully I will get lots of sweet pix...)

Hi,

A consistent rule of thumb is that the 1st ( and sometimes 2nd....) post-drydock cruise is not for everybody....there will always be work of some sort not fully completed in time and still underway while at sea; most of the time, there will be an appearance of ''construction zones'' scattered throughout ( but not to the point of totally negative impact on the guests );of a more palpable nature: the water / air / vaccum systems, having been shut down for 15 + / - days, need more than a short ride back from the yard to be fully back into 100% efficient status....thus the very oft-reported problems with irregular flushings, problems with air conditionning //heating ducks, water-related problems, etc....

Also, you can't possibly peform that many tasks as the lines aim at wrapping up, without having dirt, dusks and residues floating about, besides less than sparkling clean windows and railings.

Ideally, lines ought to allow xxx number of days in the yard if the work wish list is predicted to take xxx number of days !!! none ever does and they try to get, say, 15 days work of work squeezed into 12....

Also, ideally, a ''shake down'' sailing to reset all systems and perform ''on the go'' thourough cleaning should be done, say, a 3-4 day deadhead cruise....but they never do; fundamentally, it's simply too costly in terms of loss of revenue sailings days....We have to understand that; it's business.

With all that said, one thing for sure, the safety of the guests on the initial cruise after drydock would never be compromised.

If one's tolerance is flexible enough, it still will be a good cruise.

With that in mind, take your chance...or not...

Cheers

p.s; SUMMIT's scope of work this time is massive.....heavy structural modifications...

Archived