Panama Canal vs Caribbean

cruisinfromBC

Looking for suggestions for a 10 day +/- cruise. Can't decide between Panama Canal or the Caribbean (again). We have sailed twice with Celebrity, first cruise was out of Ft Lauderdale on the Solstice, which we loved. Second cruise was out of San Juan on the Summit..not so good. Looking to travel in mid October to early December. Would prefer a newer ship as we found the Summit a bit worn down after being on the Solstice. Wouldn't mind trying another cruise line?? :)

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

A full transit Panama cruise is a wonderful experience and one we hope to do again soon but with your time frame you will be going in what is referred to as the "rainy season". I think I would stick to a Caribbean cruise in the the time frame you have set out. We have done several cruises in the Caribbean with Princess, the Grand, the Ruby and the Crown, all with good results. We are doing one this January on the Constellation just for a change of venue...she has been fully redone and people speak very highly of her. I believe the Emerald Princess is doing some 10 itineraries in the Caribbean this year.

I would do the Panama Canal. There is something to be said for cruise through one of the wonders of the world. We did the 10 day round trip partial transit on Princess. Got both the Caribbean and the Canal all in one cruse. It can be the rainy season in the timeframes you specified, but there is never really a completely dry season there.

I would do the Panama Canal.

We've done this a few times and for the time frame you mentioned it was in early November. The temperature was more moderate. Since you've done the Caribbean twice, it would provide a nice opportunity to see other ports and also transit the canal.

Keith

Yes, I did see the Zuiderdam one and thought that looked pretty good. Just not sure what the ship it like?? We are in our late 40's and my husband still likes the night life. Would he find the HAL boring?

HAL ships are not as "lively" as Carnival's - but I believe there is enough going on -- the service and food are distinctly better than that on other lines, and the ships are less glitzy - with more traditional design and layout. If a very active nightlife is important, HAL might not be the best choice - but in all other respects: far superior. You are the best judge of the overall experience you want.

Archived