Pride and Gem in port same time--Ferry?

Hamitchell

We'll be on the Pride, and I noticed the discussion on the Board about this scheduling, with both large ships at Dockyards.

With such large boats in together, how is a soul supposed to find some transportation in the morning? We want to go on the ferry to St. George Day 1, and bus to HSB Day 2.

How is it at the 10am Ferry to St. G. with two large boats just in? And bus to HSB?

Any thought would be appreciated, even if it's delivering bad news!

If you're in line for ferry by 9:30 you should be okay but when we were there, the local "ferry monitor" was thankfully keepin' the line in order so be sure all of your party is there when you get in line.. no saving space for the other 8 people.. seemed like the only ones upset about this were the guys who "cheated" and were nicely moved to the back of the line!;) Ferry left and tender Bermudian within a few minutes after.

Not sure what time you dock on "Day 1" but you might want to reverse your schedule if you have to get off the ship and buy ferry passes .. unless you dock early enough that clearing the ship won't be an issue.

Didn't use buses so can't speak to them!

Thanks, Caroline. We get in at 7am, the gem at 8am. How long after docking do ships seem to let passengers disembark?

Good idea to reverse our schedule if necessary.

We have two little ones--3 and 5--and want to get them around the island while still leaving time for breaks, snakes, nap, if we can. The DD iis excited about pink sand. DS is just up for any "action.". Which would rule out museums and similar!

Thanks, Caroline. We get in at 7am, the gem at 8am. How long after docking do ships seem to let passengers disembark?

Good idea to reverse our schedule if necessary.

We have two little ones--3 and 5--and want to get them around the island while still leaving time for breaks, snakes, nap, if we can. The DD iis excited about pink sand. DS is just up for any "action.". Which would rule out museums and similar!

:eek:

Snakes!!!??!:eek: ROFL... I hate snakes... didn't think to ask if there are any in Bermuda.. don't forget to allow time for a snack as well;);)

see I do to read all of these....

What sides did the Gem and Pride dock on....port or starboard if you remember?

The ships do not have a set side they have to dock on as they have the ability to dock on both. Some of the ships dock differently each week depending on many different reasons (weather, ship repair, crew lifeboat drills,etc).

Last week on the Dawn, she was docked on the port side while the Explorer of the Seas was on her starboard side.

RE Ferries and Buses

We got in line at 9:30am and had no issues getting on the St George ferry. The lines fills up fast, but the dock workers keep the line organized and make announcements that there is no line saving.

We never had an issue with a Hamilton ferry as they are frequent.

We did not have an issue with the buses as they came very frequently and never had to wait long. Also most bus stops have a covered shelter to protect you from the elements.

ktpc2005--were you in port with another big ship? If so, that gives me great comfort, along with what Caroline told me.

Caroline, my 3 y.o. son would be fascinated with "snakes," but you are correct, I had in mine "snacks" as his 5 year old sister and squeamish mother would be happier without snakes.

I have to take you to task, though; you said, "see I do to read all of these.... "

What or who did you do to? Hee, hee.

I'm a lawyer, what can I say. . .you know how we are.

ktpc2005--were you in port with another big ship? If so, that gives me great comfort, along with what Caroline told me.

Caroline, my 3 y.o. son would be fascinated with "snakes," but you are correct, I had in mine "snacks" as his 5 year old sister and squeamish mother would be happier without snakes.

I have to take you to task, though; you said, "see I do to read all of these.... "

What or who did you do to? Hee, hee.

I'm a lawyer, what can I say. . .you know how we are.

Day 1 was to have Carnival Fantasy with us but they went to Mexico due to Irene instead so we had the Dockyards to ourselves

Day 2 and 3 had the RCCL Explorer of the Seas in port with us. They got there around 8am and people were getting off the ship around 9am.

Are you referring to unscheduled ferries? I've attached a copy of the Orange Route schedule, and I'm having a problem finding the 9:15am, 10:45am and 11:30am ferries you referred to in your post. I know that there is an unscheduled ferry soon after the 10:00am ferry should there be an overflow crowd; are there more after that?

Schedule.jpg

SBtS

Thanks, Attilla and STBS. It's good to ponder plans B-D if A doesn't work, which may not if one of my kids springs a leak, literally.

Caroline, I think IP law work ranks right up there with ERISA and tax. It's too complicated for dim bulbs like me, but due to this fact, probably has saved me a life time of boredom. However, real estate title work and estate docs are pretty dang dry, too.

I used to be a litigator on def. side--car wrecks, doctors, lawyers, engineers and architects. I could never understand why anyone would want that lifestyle at $90/hr! Gotta love them insurance companies.

Are you referring to unscheduled ferries? I've attached a copy of the Orange Route schedule, and I'm having a problem finding the 9:15am, 10:45am and 11:30am ferries you referred to in your post. I know that there is an unscheduled ferry soon after the 10:00am ferry should there be an overflow crowd; are there more after that?

Schedule.jpg

SBtS

Oops, just checked my route map and found it's only effective through November 20, 2010 - the earlier ferries must have been eliminated.

Do you have a link to the current ferry schedule?

SBTS--I've only been once to Bermuda, I'll-fated honeymoon with first wife, but I met Ross Perot while in a small rental boat from grotto bay. I didn't know who it was at first. He had an old man's fishing hat on, in a small boat. Very charming, had us follow him out to a little island near the mouth of castle harbor. Said, "I'm from Texas, name's Ross Perot.". I about fell out of the boat. He had a kid at UNC at the time; we're from Raleigh.

He returned a little while later in his yacht to check on us. No invite to come aboard, though! Pretty cool. I have a bunch of pix somewhere of that.

Archived