Safe to walk to Sandals La Toc?

vpoopsy

We will be on the Carnival Victory in February and was wanting to go to Sandals La Toc for the day. I noticed it is around 2.5 km which we can walk, no problem, just didn't know if it was safe to do so.

Any suggestions or advice?:confused:

while yes, it is in walking distance and would take you about a half hour or so, I would not recommend it. You have to pass some less than desirable areas and while I am sure you would be safe, I still would not recommend it. Every city in the world has areas you shouldn't frequent unless you are familiar with the areas and getting to La Toc from the port takes you through one of these areas. Also note, it is not all flat ground, there are some hills invoved. It would be a short cab ride, maybe $10 one way or $20 r/t. Would be faster, safer and much more comfy.

I've read that it's rough and there are a lot of drug dealers. Looking into Sandals Grande St Lucian to see if it's better. Thanks for the information.

Seriously - rough and a lot of drug dealers? Wherever did you hear that? The sea at La Toc can get a bit rough at times if there is a storm coming or something like that, but most times is calm and very swimmable. As for drug dealers - really? If that were the case, I am sure the Sandals would not be in business there. Whether someone was approached to buy some weed - who knows? This is the caribbean and that is known to happen occasionally, but the whole beach is not over-run by drug dealers!!! The beach vendors may look - to some unaware persons - like "drug dealers" with dredlocks, etc. but they pretty much are not - just regular beach vendors selling regular beach stuff - jewelry, etc. :D

As for the Grande - it is a 20-25 minute cab ride and will cost you about $25US or so one way. There are beach vendors there also - as there are on pretty much any beach in St. Lucia. All beaches are public in St. Lucia, so you will run into locals on pretty much any of them.

We've stayed at all the Sandals several times. Personally, we like the beach best at the Grande - it is the longest stretch of beach at any of the 3 Sandals here. We like the ambiance better at La Toc - just seems more intimate than the Grande. You would enjoy either one.

For a day pass, also consider Rendezvous - which is a short walk from the port also and is an adults only result. A half day pass there is as little at $50 and you can arrange with the hotel for the times, say 10-4 or something similar. Then you could go 2 for the price of one at Sandals and they are the same type of thing - AI, great drinks, beachfront, lovely pools, watersports, lazy river, etc. Just a thought! And - you can easily walk there in about 15 minutes or so - through perfectly safe parts of town!

Either way, enjoy your visit!

Archived