boxed wine - YES or NO

mittchelandsophie

Hi Everyone!!

Can you bring boxed wine or will it be taken on Embarkation? It does state "NO" to boxed wine in the rules and regs. I was just wondering if anyone has done it before.

Thanks so much...

I'm sure that people have done it before, but the rules and regs say "no" so why chance it?

Hi Everyone!!

Can you bring boxed wine or will it be taken on Embarkation? It does state "NO" to boxed wine in the rules and regs. I was just wondering if anyone has done it before.

Thanks so much...

We cruised with friends who packed a box in their luggage, well wrapped in plastic and bubble wrap. Worst case is they find it and call you to the 'bad cruiser' room to pick up your luggage.

I think I'll give it a go, after all what is the worst thing that can happen, the naughty room or corkage fee.

Di

Third alternative (and most likely)- they confiscate your wine until your cruise is over. Bring a one liter bottle instead and save the hassle.:)

I think I'll give it a go, after all what is the worst thing that can happen, the naughty room or corkage fee.

Di

Someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe you can pay a corkage fee on a box of wine if it is detected. They will just keep it and return it at the end of the cruise....if it is unopened. If it is opened they may just dispose of it.

You would be safer to bring a couple of bottles and pay the corkage up front. That way you can be assured of having the wine in your room. :D

BLEH! Boxed wine conjures up images for me of college parties gone horribly wrong. :eek:

I will say I am not above some smuggling myself <although not boxed wine> If it is just for you and you are bringing a small amount, I would probably play by the rules in that case and just pay the corkage fee.

if you pull the bag out of the "box" and just pack that, then you basically have a "rumrunner", and youre good to go. you cannot pay a corckage fee for 5L box wine, as far as i know. i have brought many a box wine onboard by packing it just like a rumrunner(no box) :p

BLEH! Boxed wine conjures up images for me of college parties gone horribly wrong. :eek:

I will say I am not above some smuggling myself <although not boxed wine> If it is just for you and you are bringing a small amount, I would probably play by the rules in that case and just pay the corkage fee.

:p You need to get with the times. Read and learn...

http://www.seattlepi.com/lifestyle/food/article/On-Wine-Premium-wines-from-a-box-Tasting-is-1165447.php

http://www.bestofneworleans.com/gambit/the-time-for-fine-box-wine-has-come/Content?oid=1278900

The box I was thinking of has no inside, just the box and at 99 cents from where I live, I don't think you can beat it.:D As you can tell, I'm no wine snob, I just enjoy a glass a day.

Di

When I stayed on the Costa Del Sol in October 2003 the box wine I was buying was only 40 cents and it was delicious.:D Spain had the best wine as far as I'm concerned. Just remember if your flying that can add to the luggage weight.:eek:

if you pull the bag out of the "box" and just pack that, then you basically have a "rumrunner", and youre good to go. you cannot pay a corckage fee for 5L box wine, as far as i know. i have brought many a box wine onboard by packing it just like a rumrunner(no box) :p

This is exactly what I do and have never been caught. I do spend alot of money on the ship buying liquor, so NCL does make money off of me. I just think it is nice to have a glass of wine in your room before dinner.

When I stayed on the Costa Del Sol in October 2003 the box wine I was buying was only 40 cents and it was delicious.:D Spain had the best wine as far as I'm concerned. Just remember if your flying that can add to the luggage weight.:eek:

There are some good cheap wines here. We have a joke that it's cheaper to fill swimming pools with wine rather than water. It wouldn't matter then if you swallowed any:D

Di

I am curious to all of you who think it's ok to sneak alcohol on board, do you also cheat on your taxes?

Some people are just plain "silly" I bet this Army/Police Vet never drove over the speed limit or parked on a double line....give me a break.:mad::mad::mad:

I am curious to all of you who think it's ok to sneak alcohol on board, do you also cheat on your taxes?

I actually was not trying to cheat and am more than willing to pay a corkage fee. Boxed wine is easier to travel with. I was really asking for my sister who is on a very limited income. So... I was wondering if even though they say no boxed wine, but they allow bottled do they treat it as a gray area. It was a simple question, asking if people had done it and does NCL take it from you if you do bring it.

Coming from CT, I'm not interested in putting bottles of wine in my luggage.

Now... Get over yourself and stop trying to fight crime on the cruise critic boards. It's very annoying.. If your still feeling hostile and are looking for a fight you should re-enlist in the military... There are plenty of men and women over there who could use some respite!

If the wine they had onboard was cheaper then I would buy it onboard. I don't drink a lot of wine and I don't want to pay those prices when I can get it a lot cheaper. It's only a litre of wine that I want to bring onboard that cost 99 cents. If you put the corkage fee on top of that it's not worth it.

Di

not only do i cheat on my taxes, by not reporting any gambling winnings.

when i get laid off for the winter, as im collecting unemployment, i work off the books, i also sneek alcohol on cruises :eek:

thanks for letting me share :p

Archived