Restaurants on Azamara are going up 2012

dfishner

I am surprised that Azamara does not factor in and include the price of dining once or twice in a specialty restaurant into the basic price for a non-suite stateroom. The increase would be only $50-100 per person.

They used to as it was included for all. I was surprised when I found out that in general the cruise fares on Azamara were increasing in the last year by over 50%, but that suddenly the specialty restaurants are extra pay.

Azamara has great food. The MDR is excellent. When the cost for Prime C/Aquilina was $5, it was crowded. When it went to $15, it wasn't crowded. Often it had lots of empty tables. Not sure how the new increase will affect the number of tables. My guess is that fewer people will opt for dining multiple times and pay for it.

Having just experienced all of the venues and recognizing that tastes are TOTALLY subjective - I will try to relate what I experienced with my friends on the last sailing of the Journey.

The MDR had some excellent choices and was quite varied but somethimes it appeared that the menu was a bit disjointed.....many of the apps and salads just didn't "fit" with the entrees. It happened on the 2 occasions that I dined there.

The new menu in both specialty restaurants are excellent. Aqualina really has great seafood choices - the lobster is excellent and can be combined with the steak for "surf & turf". The appetizers are fantastic....try the goat cheese souffle - it is truly delicious.

All the fish onboard is frozen as is all the meat. It tastes fine but I do love a fresh fish!!! The seafood is succlent and sweet and although frozen, does not taste it.

The staff are eager to "showcase" the menu. When we asked to "sample all the appetizers between the table, our request was completely accomodated.

Double entrees and desserts from the other dining room were never a problem.

Soups are to die for in Aqualina.....the bouillaibase, lobster bisque and sweet pea are all consistantly wonderful.

The dining experience overall is noticably superior in the specialty restaurants. That is not to say the MDR is lacking, it isn't - however, although I could always eat in them free of charge, many of my friends who couldn't had absolutely NO problem taking as many reservations as they could in each venue. Both Maire'd's were wonderful and in 10 days, there was no bad meal to be had.

I am a TOTAL foodie......I love EVERYTHING about the food experience - I love to cook and many a path is beaten to my door for a good meal. I had no complaints and felt that the consistant excellence of the food was the absolute highlight of my trip.

Spend your onboard credit on the dining rooms!!!

Archived