Baltimore Summer Cruise

CocoKai

We are from CA and planning on taking our 2 teens on an East Coast trip next summer to see the sites. Probably flying into Boston, renting a car and heading down the coast to DC or Virginia. We plan on spending about 1 1/2 weeks on this leg of the trip.

Tempting to then fly to Florida and hop a cruise ship to the Caribbean for a week of relaxation. We've never been on Carnival and see they are dominate in this market during the summer months.

Departing out of Baltimore sure looks easy, but do you think it would be better (money vs time and convenience and ports) to leave from Florida. The Carnival ship leaving Baltimore is the Pride.

Not familiar at all with these seas and wondering if it would be warm and calm leaving Baltimore in June/July? Without a doubt the ports of call are better out of Florida or Puerto Rico, but lack of hassle is worth something too.

Thanks! Any input from those that have taken this cruise would be highly welcomed or is flying South to FL the best way to go.

We are from CA and planning on taking our 2 teens on an East Coast trip next summer to see the sites. Probably flying into Boston, renting a car and heading down the coast to DC or Virginia. We plan on spending about 1 1/2 weeks on this leg of the trip.

Tempting to then fly to Florida and hop a cruise ship to the Caribbean for a week of relaxation. We've never been on Carnival and see they are dominate in this market during the summer months.

Departing out of Baltimore sure looks easy, but do you think it would be better (money vs time and convenience and ports) to leave from Florida. The Carnival ship leaving Baltimore is the Pride.

Not familiar at all with these seas and wondering if it would be warm and calm leaving Baltimore in June/July? Without a doubt the ports of call are better out of Florida or Puerto Rico, but lack of hassle is worth something too.

Thanks! Any input from those that have taken this cruise would be highly welcomed or is flying South to FL the best way to go.

I think sailing from Baltimore sounds like a great idea...since there is a port right there I wouldn't fly to Florida. I do think the Carnival cruise out of NY is better as it hits the private island and it is a day longer but if you do take the cruise from Baltimore I would do the one that stops in Grand Turk...unfortunately they all stop in Freeport from there...

Sailing from Baltimore and NY are fairly painless and for that much you could head a bit further south and leave from Charleston...you have many options as far as I can see. You could also cruise from Boston and go to Bermuda or New England, probably not some place west coasters see too much...sailing from FL will give you a lot more options but the hassle of flying again may or may not be worth it...

Whatever you decide have a wonderful and sage vacation...

Balto-DC area is so rich with stuff to do! You can get lost in DC with all the monuments and museums. You could write your Congressperson and get tickets to White House or Congress building tours. Baltimore has everything from the inner harbor national aquarium to Edger Allen Poe house. Maryland's nick name is America in Miniature cause it has everything!

We have taken the Pride and it is one of the easiest ports to use. The weather will be Hot! The water will be warm in July-Aug and the crabs will be running.

OK I was born and raised in Pasadena MD--And the greatest MD crab cakes are from G & M in Hammond Ferry Rd.

The Pride is an easy ship to get around.

Checking in was amazing and the best I had in 15 cruises.

It will also save you time and expense getting to Florida.

Since there is 4 of you might I suggest looking to see if you can get a balcony 6232 which will look like this:

http://www.travelingnuts.com/2011cruise/images/DSCN0188.JPG

sailings from NY usually cost more then the Baltimore cruises.

we sailed with 3 of us in the balcony cabin above for 1477 total

We have done the Pride in both May and June with lovely weather both times. Love the easy embarkation in Baltimore and the ship is stellar in her class.

There are several reviews of the Pride on cruise critic if you search.

We are scheduled to sail her again in Aug. 2012.

If you have a choice, the Half Moon Key itinerary is better with great beaches.

The Pride, out of Baltimore, is an easy cruise to take. You can get a better rate by going to Ft. Lauderdale or Miami, but you will spend more than you might save in air fare or gasoline and lodging.

The trip down Chesapeake Bay is very interesting to me. Of course, I was born in Norfolk, so I have a special affinity for that area.

Be well aware that the Pride spends its summers hauling gobs of kids and a few parents too. The kids are usually well behaved, so that should not be an issue.

We had 850+ school age kids onboard when we cruised the Pride its first summer in Baltimore.

Doc

Archived