Car hire advice please.....

themaxydog

Can someone please advise me about car hire in the US.

We are flying to Miami early before the cruise and plan on driving down to Key West and back over a few days. Would I be better off pre booking a car a month or two ahead of our arrival or is it just as good to turn up at the desk in the airport and book a car.

We will be looking for a good size SUV as there will be four adults involved. Of cause two Mustangs may be a good idea too for the mid life crisis tour. We would like to pick up at the airport and drop off in Downtown Miami.

Advice on car/SUV type would be appreciated for four adults and luggage.

Absolutely Pre-Book, especially if picking up from the airport. It is the 'walk-ups' who the car rental companies make money on. For instance, my parents did a walk-up at the Vancouver airport and paid over $300 more then my DH and I for the same time period on a pre-book.

I would definitely pre book because if you walk up, they might not have what you want on hand. Pre booking alerts the rental agency to make sure they have the right car for your arrival.

For 4 adults with luggage you will want a full size car or SUV. I wouldn't get a mid sized because you might not fit everyone and everything in. Although I like your idea of two Mustangs. If you go that route, see if you can get convertibles!

For peace of mind, I would deal with one of the national brands such as Hertz or Avis. Those are the only two I use and have not had any problems. Maybe others can recommend a company they are happy with as well.

Besides prebooking the car, pay attention to the insurance requirements. I alway decline the insurance offered when renting in the US as my auto insurance policy covers me; when renting overseas I check with both my insurance carrier and credit card company to see if they offer any coverage for that country - you need to check with your insurance carrier and credit card company to avoid paying the rental agency for expensive coverage you don't need. :(

In Key West try to eat at el Siboney - great family run Cuban restaurant. :cool: Good luck! :)

Archived