Taormina Port Location?

harryw

Hi -

Will the Marina dock at Taormina, or would we need public transport to the town? We want to explore Taormina on our own next month.

Harry

I think we are on your cruise on October 11. Several years ago we tendered, then took a shuttle bus to the tram which takes you up to the town. There was also a public bus that went to the tram.

Yes - I'm on the October 11 cruise, trying to plan independent time in the ports as is feasible.

Harry

We are planning independent do-it-yourself sightseeing in almost every port including a ferry from Amalfi to Positano; the train from Livorno to Lucca; ferry, train and walking in Cinque Terre; and bus or train from Monte Carlo to Cap Ferrat and Beaulieu-Sur-Mer. We have downloaded talking tours to our iphone for Venice and may also do that for Dubrovnik and Corfu. Have gotten a lot of information from various Cruise Critic Port Boards and Fodors forums.

We recently did Manhattan on our own planned by using Fodors Forums, taking buses and subways to get to Fort Tryon Park (The Cloisters), Eataly, the Hiighline, etc.

David

It sounds very much like you're on the Accent in Italy tour. Our itinerary on the Riviera next September starts in Rome and ends in Venice. Could you post your "walking tour" sources?

We are planning independent do-it-yourself sightseeing in almost every port including a ferry from Amalfi to Positano; the train from Livorno to Lucca; ferry, train and walking in Cinque Terre; and bus or train from Monte Carlo to Cap Ferrat and Beaulieu-Sur-Mer. We have downloaded talking tours to our iphone for Venice and may also do that for Dubrovnik and Corfu. Have gotten a lot of information from various Cruise Critic Port Boards and Fodors forums.

We recently did Manhattan on our own planned by using Fodors Forums, taking buses and subways to get to Fort Tryon Park (The Cloisters), Eataly, the Hiighline, etc.

David

It sounds very much like you're on the Accent in Italy tour. Our itinerary on the Riviera next September starts in Rome and ends in Venice. Could you post your "walking tour" sources?

Rick Steves for Venice and Florence, as well as Rome. These can be downloaded directly to your iphone using the Rick Steves app.

Discoverywalk.com for Dubrovnik, Corfu, Amalfi, Monte Carlo and there are others as well. These can be downloaded to iTunes and then put on your iphone.

Hi -

Will the Marina dock at Taormina, or would we need public transport to the town? We want to explore Yaormina on our own next month.

Harry

We just came back from the Enchanted Riverias cruise on Marina and Taormina was one of our ports. Marina tendered at nearby Naxos. We did this port on our own and took the public bus up to Taormina. This was quite an interesting experience but we managed just fine. We had to walk for about 15 mins to reach the proper bus station. Than the first bus that arrived was full and we had to wait for another bus. I actually wish that we had done an excursion at this port as I think we would have enjoyed this pretty town more with more information. There is alot of high end shopping in this town so if you are looking for that it should fit your needs. Make sure you visit the Greek Ampitheatre as their is some amazing views from here. There was always a local expert with a table setup on Deck 5 to provide you with maps and information at every port.

Happy Travels,

Tropiclady

Thank You! Are there any details we should know about which bus, bus, its frequency, or how to pay the fare?

Harry and Carol

The local travel expert that Oceania provided gave us a map and the information we needed. We visited the local expert provided every time we were doing a port on our own. They always were a wealth of information and had local maps which they were happy to mark out for us. You will find that alot of people take advantage of this but we only stood in line a few minutes each time. I am sorry but I do not remember all of the bus info as after 12 ports in 12 days it is hard to remember everything. I can tell you that we paid the fare at a kiosk across the street from the bus stop on the way there and we just paid the driver on the way back.

Have fun,

Tropiclady

It appears that Oceania stops at two places for Taormino. We tendered in Naxos in April on a Sunday. The public bus does not run on a Sunday on the off season so be careful when you go. In restrospect, the best way up and back is to share a taxi.

Does anyone know the approximate cost of a taxi ride?

Harry

Hi,

Last month, from Giardina Naxos to Taormina, it was 25 Euros/taxi. The taxi held four people.

There weren't too many taxis at the port when we were there, but there were plenty in Taormina waiting to go back to the port. I assume the taxi drivers were waiting for fares to return to the port.

Karen

Taormina is one of the few ports where I highly recommend you simply share the taxi for 24 Euros for four. From the dock in Giardino Naxos, it is a long walk to any buses. Others from your ship will be looking to share a taxi back downhill from the square at the end of the pedestrianized areas when you are done with your sightseeing. Be sure to visit the Roman theater and the lovely gardens built by a British lady expat (supposedly a king's mistress) overlooking the lovely waters.

Archived