Any tips for a BEER drinker to save some $$

DeanHensler

How does the waiter get screwed? If you feel they still deserve a tip, give them a tip.

You can take them to the bar by yourself and get your drink, that way you don't have to wait for the waiter to walk your drink around the ship, loosing the carbonation or letting the ice melt.

Then that defeats the whole purpose of saving money lol! The savings was the tip;) Tipping a dollar would bring the price higher then if you just ordered a drink with the auto tip;)

I got the same thought, at first, but after reading more of her posts I think she feels the coupons are beneath her, after all she is a "Diva"

We buy drink coupons and soda coupons 2 sheets or each in advance, that way we control the spending, and the consumption a little, we still buy drinks without them at times, but it helps (in our opinion)

I know, I just hate when someone tries to give advise then has not even tried what you are talking about.

The coupons are great, they work, they help spread out the costs, and best of all, THEY WORK!

If you have read this whole thread you would have found out if I have ever used the coupons;)

Then that defeats the whole purpose of saving money lol! The savings was the tip;) Tipping a dollar would bring the price higher then if you just ordered a drink with the auto tip;)

If you have read this whole thread you would have found out if I have ever used the coupons;)

Well if you used coupons on a bucket of beer, then you spent more anyway, or at least lost the $2 savings.

The crew gets a tip from the total dollar amount.

Well, if you want to save some money, best thing to do is, do buy fosters, through Bon Voyage.

AS, you only pay $6.75 each, no tips, etc

And, you can order as many as you like.

Than, do what I did, keep thin in your cabin, and, take then to pool, go to bar, and swap them for cold ones....

But, like they say, a picture speaks a 1000 words

DSC04309.jpg

I'm on Carnival now and can't seem to find the liquor, although I did find the wine cellar.

Well, if you want to save some money, best thing to do is, do buy fosters, through Bon Voyage.

AS, you only pay $6.75 each, no tips, etc

And, you can order as many as you like.

Than, do what I did, keep thin in your cabin, and, take then to pool, go to bar, and swap them for cold ones....

But, like they say, a picture speaks a 1000 words

DSC04309.jpg

The Caveman's suggestion is right on. I checked with Bon Voyage since I will be on the same cruise as he in a few days. There is, however, a caveat. In some ports, there will be sales tax, which is not the case in Barcelona for alcohol purchased through Bon Voyage. That tax may affect the 15% advantage of purchasing from BV.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to comment on smuggling. We spread out a case of beer over 3 suitcases as well as a box of wine on the Triumph out of New Orleans in August and they went through the suitcases and took all of it out before they delivered our suitcases. They didn't call us to a room, they just went through the suitcases and took it out and then delivered the suitcases with a note stating how many beers they took and the location to pick it up the morning of departure. This was the first time they found everything and also the first time they didn't give it back to you the last night. So, if we wanted to get it back the morning of departure, which I think you could begin getting at 6 or 7 am, can't remember the exact time, you had to carry at least one suitcase of some sort off. I know that's the chance you take, just wanted to put my experience out there.

In september I bought the soda card and this question came up for me...what about the waiters?? I usually go to the bars to get my sodas but in the comedy club I have the waiter get it...so one night I ant to the comedy club after the bartender got there and before the crowd did and asked him. He stated that when a waiter is given a drink coupon he writes his number or name on it and at the end of the night he is to turn them all in and gets tip credit for each. He said with the soda program he is also tipped for each one. It is not 15% but 10%. I did have issues with service when using the soda card, but it may have just been the waiter as others also had service issues with him and I don't believe they ALL used tickets or soda cards. I will however ask this question directly to a higher up and see.

It sounds like Carnival is very thorough searching for beer in luggage. I've been on two Princess cruises recently and we managed to get beer onboard by taking a case of soda and replacing all but the viewable cans with beer and then sealing the case back up with hot glue. Has any one tried this on Carnival? We carried it on with us (not checked) on Princess with no problems.

Is fosters a light or heavy beer? What would you compare the taste too?

Not sure what to compare it to, but we usually drink Coors Light or Bud Light and didn't really like Fosters - had an almost skunky taste to it, especially when it got warm which it did by the time I was halfway through.

10 beers a day will run you about $75.00 a day. The price of beer on board keeps inching up each year. It is a down economy, people are scrimping to take vacations you would think Carnival could at least set price of a beer under $5.00 and stilll make a decent profit. Beer retails for about $10.00 a twelve pack, that is less than $2.00 a bottle, so come on Carnival even at $5.00 with tip that is $50.00 profit.

loved this thread...my suggestions..... :p

drink less beer

or smuggle your own beer on

switch to liquor and smuggle it on

pre purchase from the BV department-i've heard it's cheaper and no gratuity added on in advance.

purchase drink coupons

make friends with the wealthy people who drink beer onboard or find the cool college kids who figured out how to smuggle on 2 cases of beer in their suitcases.

Visit friends of Bill lol

Almost all of these suggestions DH & I have done. Enjoy your cruise.

Archived