Port Help/Talk/Information?

corvette2007cruiser

I thought I read something on a tread/forum that Oceania has the tourism department for each port come onboard to help passenger with questions. Is this true? If it is when (how early are they on board to help passengers with questions)?

Or did someone misrepresent the tourism people and really mean that they are right outside when the passengers get of the ship as they usually are in ports?

My recollection is that local tourism staff are invited on board at more major ports. They are usually available early and we have found them helpful. In addition, Oceania destination services frequently has local maps available. This is besides the informative TV broadcasts in advance and port information in the printed daily cruise bulletin which is distributed each evening.

It's one of the things we love about Oceania! Although I do research befre we sail, there's usually a question I like to ask or a better map I can grab.

.....or up to date timetables if you are taking the local public transport :)

.....or up to date timetables if you are taking the local public transport :)

This is our 1st time with Oceania so am not sure how accurate posts/forums are ....

Thank you all so much.

We are on a cruise that we have gone to many of the ports but want to do things on our own this time around and I have done a lot of homework regarding each port already.

• The only thing with the internet is finding specific timetables for Buses, Ferry Services. i.e. There is a Ferry that goes between Sorrento and Positano only can not find the sch. Another one is between Portofino and Santa Margaretta.
  • The Other transportation items I am not possitive about is taking a local bus or finding a taxi to some of the towns close to the ports.

It is fairly easy to get a bus from Sorrento to Amalfi. The bus departs from Sorrento train station and it is a SITA bus. I am sure 'googling' this or buses from Sorrento would give you the times etc. We took a SITA bus from Amalfi to Positano and it was amazing travelling at speed around the twisty roads - the Amalfi drive. The bus driver was very competent as he presumably does the same journey all day every day. It was incredibly cheap but very crowded. If we were to go again we would take the ferry one way and the bus the other.

We generally do some research before we go but leave the finer details about the actual timetable until we meet the local representatives on board. It is so easy to get it wrong on the internet by looking at out of date timetables etc. I have always found the local reps very knowledgeable, up to date and eager to please and they also seem to have a good command of English.

We took a bus from Sorrento to Poisitano and took a ferry back. The ferry ride was REALLY LONG. Or it might have just seemed that way since my bathing suit was underneath my clothes was drying but still wet with saltwater and I was really itchy and uncomfortable and there was no shade on the ferry boat on the way back and I had already spent an afternoon in the sun. It was pretty uncomfortable. If I had to do it all again, I would take a ferry there and an air conditioned bus back!

I don't think you need to plan this in advance. Just go down to the harbor in Sorrento or the bus station and there will be one along soon enough.

I have taken two cruises with Oceania, and I had no idea they had local tourism officials on board the ship to help the passengers. I will definately try to find out about this on our next cruise.

On the R-ships they are located on deck 4 near Destination Services

On our Marina cruise they were near the gangway on deck 5

There is usually a notation in the Currents the night before as to the times they are there sometimes they are only there until NOON

LHT28: thanks! I was wondering where to look for these folks. I think that is a great resource and can't believe I didn't know about these local tourism officials before. How could I have missed it? I always read that little newspaper they put on your bed.

Anyway, I will definately probably have some questions to ask them on our next cruise (Black Sea in July 2012) as I am having some difficulties finding information about our ports of call online.

Does anyone know how many months in advance Oceania posts shore exursion information? I need some ideas.

LHT28: thanks! I was wondering where to look for these folks. I think that is a great resource and can't believe I didn't know about these local tourism officials before. How could I have missed it? I always read that little newspaper they put on your bed.

Anyway, I will definately probably have some questions to ask them on our next cruise (Black Sea in July 2012) as I am having some difficulties finding information about our ports of call online.

Does anyone know how many months in advance Oceania posts shore exursion information? I need some ideas.

We are on the Marina the end of February, and the shore excursions are listed already. In fact we have reserved one. So this is almost six months in advance.

By the way, we did Black Sea cruise in 2010, it was great. That influenced us to do the Baltic this summer and the Caribbean in February

SWY123 "By the way, we did Black Sea cruise in 2010, it was great. That influenced us to do the Baltic this summer and the Caribbean in February".

Exactly the same with us. We did the Black Sea cruise in the fall and then the Baltic this June. The Adriatic is our next stop in November. Can't wait.

Not sure, but I believe the tours become visible when you make final payment.

You can view excursions @

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/findcruise/shoreexcursions.aspx

if they have been put online

They may not be for your specific cruise date & no prices until you go to your cruise

You may also see them in the already booked section for your cruise

They usually came online 3-4 mths but recently have been on as early as 6 months out

There is no set time it seems

Lyn

Archived