Seeing Hawaii without renting a car

Adventures ahead

We'll be on the Golden Princess in April 2012 and are researching shore excursions. The itinerary is: Hilo 8am-5pm; Kauai (Nawiliwili) 8am-5pm; Honolulu 7am-11pm; Maui (Lahaina) 7am-6pm.

Many people recommend renting a car. We prefer to let someone else do the driving, so we like private tours (or tours through the ship if a private tour isn't feasible). We're also open to getting a taxi or using public transportation but only if it's easy and quick.

This may be our first and only trip to Hawaii. In the time we have, we want to see the must-sees and do the must-dos: Pearl Harbour, maybe Volcanoes National Park in Hilo and Waimea Canyon in Kauai, a luau at night in Honolulu, and at least a couple of hours at one beach would be nice. We are travelling with another couple and may decide to do the same excursions or different things (none of us has health issues).

What are your recommendations that don't include renting a car?

If you read down the page, you will see Pearl Harbor is doable by bus or taxi. The Luau is also available by taxi, but due to time constraints a ship's excursion luau might be the better plan. Lahaina is very walkable.

Volcano National Park is a ways away, so some transport is unavoidable. Can't answer for Kauai.

For Hilo, you might check out Aina Big Island Tours. I had an awesome private tour thru them for just the 3 of us. We loved it. We rent cars typically on all the islands but Hilo was one that I had someone else drive me around and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

In Kauai, there is a beach nearby - easy walking distance. It is located at the Marriott and the beach is open to the public. I know there are tours available in Kauai but I have no recommendations. At the ABC store (you pass on the way to the beach in Kauai) there was a booth set up that did tours. Mostly helicopter or plane tours. We did an airplane tour and they picked us up at the ABC store so it was about a 10 minute walk to the ABC store from the ship. AirVentures plane tours. I also rented a car both visits though so I could tour more on land & see waterfalls.

In Maui, I think you tender in to Lahaina. If thats the case, you will have no trouble finding a beach to hang out. Lots of beaches near Lahaina and a taxi can take you to one if they aren't in walking distance. I've always done NCL so I"m not familiar with your itinerary.

Here is something really different. Bev and I enjoy talking with the locals and getting their ideas of what we should see and do. We do this at least once on every cruise. We get on and off as something gets our attention. On our upcoming cruise we are going to do Oahu on "The Bus". We have been to Hawaii many times, but never spent much time on Oahu. This will give us a chance to see much more then a big $$$ cattle car tour would offer. Check out.

http://www.thebus.org

We'll be on the Golden Princess in April 2012 and are researching shore excursions. The itinerary is: Hilo 8am-5pm; Kauai (Nawiliwili) 8am-5pm; Honolulu 7am-11pm; Maui (Lahaina) 7am-6pm.

Many people recommend renting a car. We prefer to let someone else do the driving, so we like private tours (or tours through the ship if a private tour isn't feasible). We're also open to getting a taxi or using public transportation but only if it's easy and quick.

This may be our first and only trip to Hawaii. In the time we have, we want to see the must-sees and do the must-dos: Pearl Harbour, maybe Volcanoes National Park in Hilo and Waimea Canyon in Kauai, a luau at night in Honolulu, and at least a couple of hours at one beach would be nice. We are travelling with another couple and may decide to do the same excursions or different things (none of us has health issues). I lived in hawaii for 3 yrs (island of Oahu). To cover the whole island driving it takes 4hrs. Waikiki beautiful, be sure to visit the flea market. Looking for great waves, visit Sandy beach. Polynesian cultural theatre must see learn the history of king kamehameha.

What are your recommendations that don't include renting a car?

answers in purple (PASS The poi, please) also they offer commuter planes for island hopping

I noticed you sail at 11pm out of Honolulu. You might fit in the luau at the Polynesian Cultural Centre, though I understand it's 90 mins away from the ship. Best to do the ship tour for this venue if it's offered.

The ship's tour to the PCC and luau is an all-day affair, that means we don't have time to also visit Pearl Harbor, which is a must-see. I can't find a tour, since we aren't renting a car, that would allow us to do both.

There are other luaus closer to the ship but their reviews are not so great.

Does anyone know how we can achieve both Pearl Harbor and a luau? If not at the PCC, which of the other luaus is best?

We have done this cruise twice (loved it) but we had already been to Hawaii on land visits twice before (but BC -- before child). For our first cruise, we did book three excursions through Princess -- Sea Life Park on Oahu (for our daughter), snorkeling off of Maui, and the waterfalls/windward tour on the Big Island. Caught the ABC freebie shuttle to a beach on Kauai.

This last time, hubby didn't want to really do anything planned (and definitely didn't want to rent a car and drive around), but our teen put her foot down and said she wanted a say. So I gave her brochures that I ordered from tourism sites and let her "post it" up.

We ended up walking, taking shuttles, taking city buses, taxis, and one limo/shuttle. I wrote up what we did in the ports on a blog which you can access from a link below. We tend to avoid physical type activities (no ziplining for this Valley Girl).

You can take a cab to Pearl Harbor, it opens at 7 with the first tour at 8. What time does the cruise ship tour to PCC leave? Maybe you can be back for the ship tour to PCC. Otherwise, you can hire private transportation via shuttle for just the PCC or to take you to PH and the PCC. http://www.hawaii23.com is one such company.

I did a web search and several companies come up offering PH and PCC tours so I think it will be doable. Here are a few: http://www.enoa.com/default.asp and http://adventureinhawaii.com

Jen

The ship's tour to the PCC and luau is an all-day affair, that means we don't have time to also visit Pearl Harbor, which is a must-see. I can't find a tour, since we aren't renting a car, that would allow us to do both.

There are other luaus closer to the ship but their reviews are not so great.

Does anyone know how we can achieve both Pearl Harbor and a luau? If not at the PCC, which of the other luaus is best?

The PCC is about 30 or 35 minutes away. 90 minutes on Oahu? Wow, that is a long way!

Sorry, but no. The PCC is not 30-35 minutes away from Honolulu. It's more than 40 miles if you go the "short" way (cross island on the Pali, Likelike, or H3). If you go up to the north shore first, it's longer than that. It's at least 60 minutes, if conditions are perfect, there's no other traffic, and you don't mind risking traffic citations. So yes, 90 minutes is a reasonable time.

beachchick

Sorry, but no. The PCC is not 30-35 minutes away from Honolulu. It's more than 40 miles if you go the "short" way (cross island on the Pali, Likelike, or H3). If you go up to the north shore first, it's longer than that. It's at least 60 minutes, if conditions are perfect, there's no other traffic, and you don't mind risking traffic citations. So yes, 90 minutes is a reasonable time.

beachchick

I disagree. On the around the island bus route, starting at Ala Moana Shopping Center, and making stops, it was a little over an hour. Maybe 80 minutes that way, making stops.

I disagree. On the around the island bus route, starting at Ala Moana Shopping Center, and making stops, it was a little over an hour. Maybe 80 minutes that way, making stops.

I got to thinking maybe I was misremembering our drives, so I checked The Bus schedules. They show the regular circle island route with stops taking nearly 2-1/2 hours from Ala Moana to the PCC. So I decided to just check a few other sites. Every one listed the drive time as at least 70 minutes and typically 90 minutes. But aside from any of that, it is a physical impossibility to drive that 40+ mile stretch on Oahu in 30-35 minutes. I'm going to stick with my original time based on our own drive time experiences, as well as The Bus schedule and confirmation from other websites.

beachchick

It will take at least 90 minutes to return after the PCC luau....not because of the distance but because of the number of buses and private cars all leaving at the same time and traveling on an unlit 2 lane road. We live on Oahu and that is where we take our friends who visit. I have heard good things about the luau at the Hilton Hawaiian Village and that is easy to get to via bus or taxi as it is really close to the dock. Aloha, and have a great time in Hawaii.

• 2 months later...

Patti,

I notice you were in E421. When we were in another cabin on the Emerald Deck, we had a problem with hearing the music from the nightclub below keeping DD up. We are booked in E421 for Hawaii- did you hear any noise in that cabin? (or from elevator traffic)? Thanks SO much for any info!

What day of the week will you be in Honolulu? Hale Koa has luau on Monday and Thursday, and Royal Hawaiian has a luau on Monday. Both are located in Waikiki, so travel time back to ship would be very short. Hilton Hawaiian Village also has a luau (on roof of hotel) but not sure of day.

Otherwise, Germaine's and Paradise Cove are options for luaus, without going all the way over to the Polynesian Cultural Center.

Both Germaine's and Paradise Cove are decent,commercial luaus.

My preference is Paradise Cove; primarily because you have to drive right past an oil refinery and other industrial areas to get to it. :-) Paradise Cove is located in the Ko Olina resort and has very pretty grounds.

In both the food is OK, and the shows are Great!

Aloha,

John

Archived