Question for Host Mach Crew contracts

golfb4cruzing

I am sure this is tracked by someone. Do the number of complaints increase with the time in the crews contract? After working like crazies, does service go down after 3 months? Is there a standard contract..ie Jan thru August? Should we book in Jan or Feb when crew is fresh?

Just with what is being said about extra workload and service levels dropping, in some opinions. I don't have high expectations, so waiting 20 minutes for a menu or getting my own drink on Lido is not an issue.

TIA

But my assumptioon was that the contracts were rolling.

Person A started on Jan 1, Person B started on Jan 8, etc. So that the turn-over would be gradual & regular...

You are correct.

They don't change half or the entire crew every 9 months.

Bill

It seems there is a rash of negative comments now. Maybe it's due to coming out of summer, hurricane itin changes or crew weariness. I guess there is never a simple answer. We usually cruise Jan thru April to avoid after school letout and the max heat levels.

Or could be negative people in general with high expectations who let every little thing bother them? :D

Jan - April is a good time to cruise!

It's not unusual for 10 to 15 crew members to end or begin a contract almost every week. As I'm getting to know them I'll usually inquire about how far along in their contract they are.

What really surprises me is how soon they are put to work. I'm usually one of the 1st people on the ship and I've encountered several crew members over the years that joined the ship that morning and they are already on the job by the time I get on the ship.

I am sure this is tracked by someone. Do the number of complaints increase with the time in the crews contract? After working like crazies, does service go down after 3 months? Is there a standard contract..ie Jan thru August? Should we book in Jan or Feb when crew is fresh?

Just with what is being said about extra workload and service levels dropping, in some opinions. I don't have high expectations, so waiting 20 minutes for a menu or getting my own drink on Lido is not an issue.

TIA

First, there is no 'standard contract.' If that were the case the ship would have no crew at some point! Contracts are six months on, six weeks off the ship.

Personally, I've never seen it effect performance of the staff or crew. For the staff anytime that they get a pat on the back, as in a letter to Guest Relations; a note dropped off at Guest Services on board or even a comment on John Heald's Face Book page, it is noted and becomes a factor in their next raise, bonus or promotion. Because of that it's unlikely that they would let the duration on the ship color their performance.

I know they get tired and I know they miss home... many have told me that exact thing... but at the same time they're still providing the high level of service we always see.

Book when it's convenient for you with the confidence that the service will be wonderful, the smiles will be there and you'll have a great time...

:)

I have a business theory=Poop doesn't trickle up. If employees are unhappy and unproductive in their jobs, then look to who the boss is. The boss is the person who should be taking care of their employees, unfortunately it is usually the person who thinks everyone works for them and they just get the bigger check. If you think like that heads up-Ants run the world.

It also only takes one person to change the moral of all employees. Ever notice when you hang with a negative person, you get negative too? Sometimes complaining to some one's boss is like talking to the fountain of the negative, and nothing improves. Step back one pace, and find out who their boss is, and complain to them.

Thanks Mr. Mach for your prompt answer as usual.:) I would assume then that a crewmember might just have a bad day like the rest of us.

Sure they do! Who doesn't have a bad day? Regardless, they press on and do their jobs with a smile, a nod and a hello as they pass.

I've only met one unpleasant, not impolite just unpleasant, Carnival crew member. He was a little security guy who rounded us up after a welcome aboard show and marched us back to our cabin. He thought that he had caught us with weapons and ammunition, of all things! It turned out to be a lonely little cigar cutter on the desk in our cabin. He seemed a bit disappointed that we weren't criminals!!

We have never had a problem with crew on any of our cruises. We have remarked about the fact that everyone had a smile and a polite manner! Even in places where we didn't see the same people every day like the Lido buffet there was the same general sense of well being and friendliness!

It is true that attitude trickles down from above!

The hotel director on the Spirit is just a terrific person!

Jan thru April also breaks up those pesky Winters that hang on with piles of snow. I didn't want to use the 4 letter word but couldn't think of anything catchy.:p

In my family we call snow "white ****" or the "S word"...lol We own a landscaping and snow plowing company and we always dread more than 1in of snow on Christmas.

Sure they do! Who doesn't have a bad day? Regardless, they press on and do their jobs with a smile, a nod and a hello as they pass.

I've only met one unpleasant, not impolite just unpleasant, Carnival crew member. He was a little security guy who rounded us up after a welcome aboard show and marched us back to our cabin. He thought that he had caught us with weapons and ammunition, of all things! It turned out to be a lonely little cigar cutter on the desk in our cabin. He seemed a bit disappointed that we weren't criminals!!

I was on that cruise with Mach.

Just want to relate an experience about crew members having a bad day. Last Sept I was on a the Conquest along with Mach and a rather large group of Carnival Committed Crazies. We ran into weather that was not pleasant. We were around a tropical depression which caused us to miss 2 ports Montego Bay and Grand Cayman. Well a number of passengers got real upset blaming Carnival for everything including knowing ahead of time that we would have this event. Well many passengers took their frustrations on the crew and tried to make their lives more difficult. Many passengers removed their tips in protest. There were petitions galore to have full refunds. Well a large group of folks started to cheer and clap everytime a crew member went buy. We wanted to let the crew know that we loved them inspite of others. The crew members had to take allot of guff but maintained ther diginty.

Archived