My cruise doesn't go to PEI

arpie05

Has anyone taken a day trip from their cruise to PEI from Halifax or Sydney? I'm looking at do this. I have always wanted to go to PEI and I can't believe I am going to be less than 3 hours away and not go. I could book a cruise that goes there for twice as much but obviously can't do that. And then most cruises that go there are in September-October and that is during the school year.

Anyway - I just want to see the Green Gables house - drive by and drive back would be fine with me.

Actually, it can be done, as maryanne has indicated, just maybe not in the time you have in port. I've done day trips between Halifax and PEI a few times, it's a lot driving but if you have someone to share the driving with it's not too bad. Realistically, I don't think it would be worth it for the little amount of time you'd be able to spend there. By the time you pay for a rental vehicle, gas, mileage, and bridge/ferry toll, you just might be better off booking the cruise with PEI in the itinerary.

To drive from Charlottetown to Halifax is 3.5 hours and as a previous poster indicated, there is a $43.00 bridge fee and a $4.00 toll which must be paid coming and going to the Island.

We travel often to Halifax from Charlottetown but we spend a lot of time in the car driving. You would not get to see anything of PEI. You are better off taking a cruise that has a stop on the Island. It is worth it!:)

I have not taken a cruise to PEI but I have been there. My ancesters arrived there from Scotland and Ireland in the 1700's. This island is gorgeous and is well worth the visit. Charlottetown is a great little city, very walkable..

The OP noted that she wanted to see the Green Gables house. In my opinion, this should not be the highlight of a trip to PEI, although it does draw thousands of visitors..is it worth it to go for the sole purpose of seeing Green Gables? Not really, but it IS worth it to spend time exploring the island. A cruise stop will only make you want to return to see the entire island ..which I would make a 2 week visit with a car rental.

http://www.tourismpei.com/index.php3

PEI is such a fabulous place that it is well worth a two week visit. Renting a car and driving there from Nova Scotia is just not worth the time, effort and money for the littlle time you would spend there. I would suggest planning a trip to PEI that would allow you to really enjoy all that the Island has to offer.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I will just enjoy the cheaper cruise I believe and then take severals advice and go to PEI on another trip. Even with booking the more expensive cruise, I'd just have one day and if I want to truly enjoy, I need more time.

Archived