Can't Get OV Cabins for Group Cruise

Mskala

So, I contacted a TA today about setting up a group cruise for the Pride Exotic Caribbean for next September and she could only give group rates for Inside and Balcony cabins stating that OVs were limited on this ship. Guests could book and be included in the group but would have to pay published Carnival rate. Anyone ever come across this? I mean, not that TA rates were much different but that means we can't even list the price of an OV on our flyer.

I think doing a "group" is a waste of time and can cause a lot of headaches.

With prices for cruises as low as they are, I would suggest everyone have

their own booking number. That way their will be less restrictions on cabins

and such. And if someone bails it will not affect the rest of your "group".

I put together a group way back in the early 90's and it was a whole year

of pain for me. Lots of people wanted to go and then backed out, but the

cruise line would not simply refund the deposit, because any money that was

paid in was part of the "group" and not the individual. I had to pay a lot of my

own money out to people who cancelled that would not understand the cruise

lines policy on the groups. Trust me, don't do it. You will thank me :D

Simply book each cabin as an individual booking and have Carnival link all

the reservations together so you can sit together at dinner. I shiver at

the though of ever doing a "group" again :eek: Even though it was almost

20 years ago.

We love doing a group every year and have never had any big problems. We have it set up with a cancellation penalty of $50 per person and that eliminates the tire kickers. As for no OV cabins, they are probably in a limited availability due to a large group. Check with another TA to make sure you getting the right info from your present TA.

On the Spirit class usually the iv aren't available for a group rate. If one wants an iv he or she will have to book at the going rate when deposit is paid. The iv are as much as the 7a cabins due to the limited amt. This happened to our group for December Miracle. We are going on the Breeze Dec 2012. We are only able to get prices for inside and balcony cabins. Iv does not count. We have been doing groups for over 30 years and never had a problem. What your TA told you is correct.

It is Carnival that sets the cabin allowances for the groups. Changing TA won't change that.

You can have your TA price out the going rate for an ocean view and put that on your flyer with a notation of "subject to availability" or "limited availability" or put "ocean view cabins available, call TA for current rates"

Definately need to have a cancellation fee to keep your group from being wishy washy. Some groups have been known to set book by date, people think that they can book into a group any time up to last minute, they do not realize that group space that is not sold can be called back by the cruise line.

Good luck on your group.

So, I contacted a TA today about setting up a group cruise for the Pride Exotic Caribbean for next September and she could only give group rates for Inside and Balcony cabins stating that OVs were limited on this ship. Guests could book and be included in the group but would have to pay published Carnival rate. Anyone ever come across this? I mean, not that TA rates were much different but that means we can't even list the price of an OV on our flyer.

Yep... sure has. Carnival can select the cabin categories that are/are not included in group rates.

I've seen that on the last 3 group cruises I've done...

:)

I think doing a "group" is a waste of time and can cause a lot of headaches.

With prices for cruises as low as they are, I would suggest everyone have

their own booking number. That way their will be less restrictions on cabins

and such. And if someone bails it will not affect the rest of your "group".

I put together a group way back in the early 90's and it was a whole year

of pain for me. Lots of people wanted to go and then backed out, but the

cruise line would not simply refund the deposit, because any money that was

paid in was part of the "group" and not the individual. I had to pay a lot of my

own money out to people who cancelled that would not understand the cruise

lines policy on the groups. Trust me, don't do it. You will thank me :D

Simply book each cabin as an individual booking and have Carnival link all

the reservations together so you can sit together at dinner. I shiver at

the though of ever doing a "group" again :eek: Even though it was almost

20 years ago.

Trust me...A LOT has CHANGED Since the 90's. ;)

I book Groups All the Time & Never had a problem giving refunds to those that Cancel.

Your TA is correct. I have only tried to book one group on a Spirit class ship, and that was the Spirit to Alaska in May 2012. They WOULD NOT let me block space for OV cabins, as they are in such short supply on this class of ship. As your TA stated, you can get OV cabins for your group, they will just pay whatever the going rate is (sometimes past guest, military and ES rates can be used for groups), plus the additional charge for the amenity points.

As a result, we ended up going with the NCL Pearl. There were MANY people who wanted the OV cabins (they wanted daylight, but didn't was the HUGE expense of a balcony).

Carnival will usually allow for reduced deposits for the first 60 days that a group is put out there, however, the TA may not (trying to avoid the proverbial tire kickers). If this is an issue for you, find a TA who will allow reduced deposits. If you do not want to deal with the day to day headaches of organizing this group/payments, etc. find a TA that has extensive experience in groups. That way, all you do is pick the ship, sailing and amenities; promote the group and have everyone contact the TA.

Good luck!!

We have a group cruise on the Pride as well and were given the same info. As it turns out the balcony rooms were $10.00/pp cheaper then the OV's were. Maybe this is the case for you as well. Good luck.

Edited to add: We also have the reduced deposit of $25.00/pp but room assignments are not given until full deposit is made. So....if you have triples, they will not hold the cabin space until full deposit is made. That's why we made full deposits up front. We needed 2 triples. I have also found that going through Carnival, they will not do the reduced deposits, they will only allow this through a TA. I guess Carnival doesn't want to go through the extra work involved. We also could not use ES, Past Guest, or Pack & go to be considered part of the "group". The amenity points will only be good for 8 cabins minimum. This info came directly from Carnival.

I also looked at the Sept 2012 sailings and the OV is $10.00/pp less so really, a balcony would be an awesome deal.

I just looked at our flyer for our December cruise and we were given a price for the ov rooms. On the flyer we put on request for the ov. When we gave out the flyers we let the people know that the ov price may change according to when they pay their deposit. People who travel with us pay when they have the extra money; however we set a deadline date as to when the deposit has to be paid in full.

For our cruise next year - Breeze we weren't give a price for ov. We are selling the insides and balconies. We were told if people purchase ov and cove balcony cabins it will not count towards group and cannot pay 11.44/12.00 to attend the shared cocktail party. I was going to get a cove balcony and pay the money for the cocktail party.

Archived