Rick Steves - Audio Tours/Podcasts - Help Please

zennor

Hi, I've downloaded some of Rick Steves audio tours for Rome & Venice (to my PC so far) - both as MP3s direct from http://www.ricksteves.com/news/audio-tours.htm & also as podcasts via iTunes. Is there any difference? For all of them all I seem to get is one large file about 25 mins long with no separate tracks or 'chapters' as he describes. I've only played them so far in iTunes. If I upload them to my Ipod (Nano), will they divide into tracks? I thought they would already show as separate tracks in iTunes similar to one that I purchased on Dubrovnik from Discovery Walks.

Help Please!

I downloaded all of them from itunes directly to my iphone and they are all individually titled and separate. I've listened to a couple for fun and they're great!

Hi, I've downloaded some of Rick Steves audio tours for Rome & Venice (to my PC so far) - both as MP3s direct from http://www.ricksteves.com/news/audio-tours.htm & also as podcasts via iTunes. Is there any difference? For all of them all I seem to get is one large file about 25 mins long with no separate tracks or 'chapters' as he describes. I've only played them so far in iTunes. If I upload them to my Ipod (Nano), will they divide into tracks? I thought they would already show as separate tracks in iTunes similar to one that I purchased on Dubrovnik from Discovery Walks.

Help Please!

I think I might have been unclear. I get each tour separately e.g. Venice - Sistine Chapel - but I don't get tracks within the tour so that I can choose which bit of the tour to jump to? Do you?

Also isn't different if you have an Iphone or Android App? I will be using an Ipod.

I just took a look at Rick Steves audio tour website, because I want to use a couple of these too. It says on the website,"Mp3 audio tours do not have chapter breaks or subheadings."

Hmmm. Well, I'll have to re-download and test what I used then. Whatever I had in Venice allowed me to select a chapter as needed. There were several of them along the route of the Grand Canal audio guide. Perhaps the difference is that I think I downloaded them as Podcasts. This must not be the same as downloading .mp3 format as I assumed it was. Actually, as I type this, that makes sense. .mp3 format is just sound and wouldn't really have a way to represent chapter info, I would guess.

Thanks for that. I've now tried both mp3s & podcasts via itunes. Initially they both appear as one large file but when you view them on your ipod, you can go forwards & backwards to the next chapter within the file & get a different photo/title if it is a podcast but not if it is an mp3. I was expecting it to be more like an album with individual songs that you can select but that isn't what I get.

Anyway, I now have the Venice Ones plus Pdfs of the maps to print out. I fancy trying the Grand Canal at night! At least I'll be able to listen & not have to try & read.

The Grand Canal one worked great for me this summer. If your time permits, do the Grand Canal both at day and night. Both directions, if you can. It's well worth it. The only challenge I had was starting/stopping the iPod recording and handling my camera at the same time. I take a LOT of pictures. But you get into the groove with the iPod pretty quickly.

Archived