Oceania Regatta Barcelona to Miami Nov. 2012

TwoOliveMartini

I am a first-time poster.

My husband and I love cruising, and have been on Costa, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Celebrity. Caribbean, Panama, Mediterranean/Transatlantic. We have been planning and saving to go on a special 25th anniversary cruise in 2012. We booked as soon as the itinerary became available, and booked the Owner's Suite on the Regatta transatlantic from Barcelona to Miami in November 2012.

Oceania recently cancelled this cruise.

(We were also booked on Oceania back in 2004, and that cruise was cancelled too!)

We were transferred to the Riviera on their transatlantic, but in an Oceania Suite. (2 categories down from the Owner's Suite). Yes, these suites are beautiful and the ship is newer, but the majority of these suites are on the side of the ship, with only a few on the back, which they will not guarantee to us. Only the class of cabin. We are also not as crazy about the Riviera's itinerary.

We waited until the west-to-east itineraries came out today, to see if the spring of 2013 would be more appealing, but found out from our agent that they would be almost $2000 more per person. And they also would NOT transfer the shipboard credit that they were offering for the November 2012 sailing.

It's been extremely frustrating. It seems as if Oceania doesn't really care if we cancel the whole thing, which is what we are considering at this point. It's a lot of money to spend, and then have to "settle".

I'm asking for some opinions on what you think we should do! Any alternative suggestions?

Is anyone else booked on this cancelled cruise and are experiencing frustrations?

Thanks!

TwoOlive

I've sailed transatlantic on the Regatta and the Insignia, and can't wait

to try the Riviera. I can be as cranky as the next person and more, but

if it wuz me I'd stick with the Riviera... (Remember, the Regatta doesn't

have pods--in a suite at the rear you would have shaken like a cocktail

all across the ocean)

I am a first-time poster.

My husband and I love cruising, and have been on Costa, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Celebrity. Caribbean, Panama, Mediterranean/Transatlantic. We have been planning and saving to go on a special 25th anniversary cruise in 2012. We booked as soon as the itinerary became available, and booked the Owner's Suite on the Regatta transatlantic from Barcelona to Miami in November 2012.

Oceania recently cancelled this cruise.

(We were also booked on Oceania back in 2004, and that cruise was cancelled too!)

We were transferred to the Riviera on their transatlantic, but in an Oceania Suite. (2 categories down from the Owner's Suite). Yes, these suites are beautiful and the ship is newer, but the majority of these suites are on the side of the ship, with only a few on the back, which they will not guarantee to us. Only the class of cabin. We are also not as crazy about the Riviera's itinerary.

We waited until the west-to-east itineraries came out today, to see if the spring of 2013 would be more appealing, but found out from our agent that they would be almost $2000 more per person. And they also would NOT transfer the shipboard credit that they were offering for the November 2012 sailing.

It's been extremely frustrating. It seems as if Oceania doesn't really care if we cancel the whole thing, which is what we are considering at this point. It's a lot of money to spend, and then have to "settle".

I'm asking for some opinions on what you think we should do! Any alternative suggestions?

Is anyone else booked on this cancelled cruise and are experiencing frustrations?

Thanks!

TwoOlive

Speaking as a passenger who typically books on the first day that an itinerary is offered, AND as a person whose upcoming Oceania cruise was cancelled and rescheduled, I completely sympathize with your angst.

Remembering my own frustration with what seemed like bureaucratic insensitivity, I can only suggest that you have your TA determine what "the offer" is if you decline the Riviera Transatlantic, and then be prepared to walk if you're unwilling to accept either alternative.

Just between you and me and the lamppost, if you give your TA a free hand with the negotiations, Oceania may come up with some very clever alternatives. There are always some cruises with soft sales, and if you can be flexible enough to sail when they have the availability, they may blow you away. Oceania definitely values its' super suite patrons.

In the meantime, just keep the lines of communication open, and imagine fabulous far away places. :)

• 3 weeks later...

It is our 25th wedding anniversary trip, but we are not tied to that date. What we WERE really excited about was the Regatta's OS, so I decided to look at other itineraries on the Regatta, to suggest possible substitutions. Oceania was not offering or addressing anything since the cancellation and original transfer to the Riviera.

We went to see our agent, and talked about our flexibility, and suggested 4 optional itineraries on the Regatta for 10 or 12 days (the original, transatlantic cruise was 14 days).

The next day, we received an email from the agent, listing these options, and their prices. It appears that Oceania is not even considering these options; only their original offer.

We are extremely disappointed and disenchanted with Oceania, especially after planning this trip for five years! We are also wondering if our agent is doing the most for us at going to bat with this situation.

We'll likely be requesting a refund this week. That's our latest.:(

TwoOliveMartini

I am not sure if you are not happy with the Riveria cruise itself or the fact that they are offering you an Oceania suite instead of an OS :confused:

You could always take the offer for the Riveria & if something better comes along before final payment then cancel

You are not having much luck in getting an Oceania cruise by the sounds of it

Wish you luck in whatever you decide

Losing the OBC through no fault of yours, it's their cancellation after all, is pretty bad.

I think that the only deal that would work for me would be to get the Rivera aft suite and the OBC. Less is a good reason to shop around.

Seems to be some great transatlantic cruises out there.

• 1 month later...

LHT...the biggest reason we didn't like the Riviera option was that we had our hearts set on an aft balcony cabin, and they only guaranteed us the class of cabin, the majority of which were cabins with balconies on the side of the ship.

So we have officially requested a refund. Yes, we could wait and see what came up, but we need to make alternate plans and deposits at this point, as the 25th anniversary is now less than a year away.

Needless to say, we are extremely disappointed with Oceania.

Thanks to the posters for your replies and advice.

LHT...the biggest reason we didn't like the Riviera option was that we had our hearts set on an aft balcony cabin, and they only guaranteed us the class of cabin, the majority of which were cabins with balconies on the side of the ship.

You can always ask your TA to waitlist you for a specific cabin especially a year away

People change plans all the time

Hope you find another cruise that works for you

Happy Anniversary!!

Lyn

• 2 weeks later...

I understand the desire for an aft cabin, but obviously the problem is that on the Marina class, there are only two OC cabins at the stern, the rest are, as the OP said, on the sides. While you had a OS on the Regatta, that is a far different animal than the OS on the Marina class. You are getting a cabin with similar space on the Riviera. The surprising thing is that they won't give you more flexibility in selecting another cruise so that you could get an aft OC which would more accurately reflect what you had. If the OCs at the stern on the cruise they are offering you are full, then the suggestion that you wait and see if one opens up is a reasonable choice. Then you can determine if you want to move locations or cancel altogether.

If I booked an aft suite because that's what I wanted, I wouldn't like to gamble on whether or not I would get one of the aft Oceania Suites, either. It's not only that most of the Oceania suites have side balconies which might be noticeably windier on a transatlantic (because you are rarely to never in port to dine wind-free on your balcony), but that the majority of Oceania suites on Riviera and Marina are on Deck 12, and the two aft Oceania suites are on Deck 11, all quite a bit higher up than the Deck 6 to Deck 8 of the R-ships. I would rather be on a lower deck for a trans-ocean itinerary.

Furthermore, the majority of the Oceania suites on the larger ships are all forward of midship, and that would not be my first choice for a trans-ocean cruise.

Having said all of the above, we were in the aft Owner's Suite on Regatta and were very much shaken awake every night in that location for most nights of a 14-night cruise, so I'm not sure where the best location is, though we generally would prefer aft suites for most itineraries.

I would very much like to know if whatever problem Regatta was having in August and September has been repaired.

• 2 months later...
Just an update...further to our frustrations, we officially cancelled on November 15, and have yet to see our deposit refunded. (Feb. 9, 2012).

WOW we usually get the refund within the week

What does your TA say (if you used one) ?

Riviera is going to be a beautiful ship as is Marina which we made the transatlantic crossing this last November. :) We enjoyed it so much that we are now booked on Riveria for its November 2012 crossing. Oceania lives up to its 5 star rating as far as I am concerned with top quality dining from before breakfast coffee to the last sip of an after dinner drink. As an added feature on the "O" ships the Bon Appetit Culinary Center is a fun filled 6 star learning event. Not to be missed. If you are not into top quality service, excellent food, and wonderful learning experiences a Riveria Transatlantic crossing may not be for you. It is a lot of days at sea. :eek: What don't you like about the ports of call?:confused:

Hbr_Master

Archived