To book direct or not?

Need-A-Vacay

I booked my first cruise through a TA...while he was a very nice man, he was not very responsive in answering my questions.

This time, I booked directly with Carnival so that if I have a question, I can ask the source.

Would I book through a TA again? Sure...but only after researching them thoroughly and having some testimonials regarding their response time (ie- returning phone messages or emails).:)

If you book direct you have 24/7 support. If you book thru a TA, they may have fees and you have to now deal thru them if the price drops.

Also, if you book direct you have access to the billing tab, can see the details and can make final payment just a click away. this is not available to you thru a TA. The tab is not there.

If you book direct you have 24/7 support. If you book thru a TA, they may have fees and you have to now deal thru them if the price drops.

I'm currently experiencing this with a TA. not having 24/7 availability is causing me some stress in not getting an immediate answer to a rate drop and/or upgrade that I'm eligible for as I booked ES rate. Told the wife last night never again, I'll book directly w/ Carnival!

The comments above allude to a fact, but don't actually explain it. If you book through a travel agent, Carnival will only deal with the party that makes the booking, which is the travel agent. If you call Carnival with a question or want to make some sort of change, they will not deal with you and will refer you to your travel agent.

The benefit of the travel agent is their experience. They work for you, so they are more motivated to book you something that will make you happy. Carnival likes to have returning customers, but I'm sure they'll take a sale to an ultimately unhappy customer rather than missing out on a sale any time.

In some jurisdictions, booking through a travel agent also gives you access to compensation funds, in case carriers or other vacation providers don't meet their obligations (e.g., airline goes bankrupt).

I haven't booked anything through a travel agent in years, but I know some do.

Good to know about the "only talking to the person who booked" thing. I didn't know that. Will probably do online with Carnival. I called the other day with some general questions and it took me forever (probably just a few minutes) to get off the phone with the sales man.

You can also call Carnival and ask for a PVP (Personal Vacation Planner). They are employed by Carnival and it gives you one person to talk to every single time. Some people here at CC use them; others don't. I like having one because I can call him with questions and get the same answer every time...and he always tells me to call ANY TIME I have questions. He now knows my preferences, what I like and don't like about ships and cabin locations, etc.

I booked through a now defunct cruise website. It was a very reputable (at one time) agency that I'd booked through previously. I had booked 9 months in advance and the company had applied the initial amount towards the cruise. It then auto billed my Credit Card for the remainder 3 months prior to the sailing as per usual. However, the agency did not apply it towards my cruise. Turns out the agency had apparently applied it to one of their other clients accts and went belly up. I received NO notification from the now defunct agency. However, I had an obscure message that I needed to call Carnival on my ans. machine. I then had to fill out paperwork to declare myself my own agent. I also had to pay the remainder of the balance AGAIN. I was not notified until 14 days before we cruised. Needless to say, this was the source of great consternation and worry. I had booked for 14 people (all family). We were all able to cruise and I successfully disputed the charge on my Visa. But this was a lesson learned the hard way. I will always book through CCL directly.

A good TA could always do better.

By the time I'm ready to book, I have chosen the ship, the dates, the itinerary, my dining time, my cabin and my excursions. Why at this point would I need to explain all these things to a commissioned TA so he or she can point and click on a web site? Anyone can do that. If I need something done, I can do it immediately...Even a good TA must be tracked down - could be on vacation, at lunch, home with a sick child or just really really busy. I am the only person who can devote all my attention to me and what I need - Good TA's have dozens or even hundreds of clients. At best, a TA can give you a $25 OBC as a reward for booking with them. Definitely not worth losing control of my vacation.

I book direct unless the TA is offering a nice OBC.

TA's are restricted to small OBC's - I believe it's like 5% or up to $25 max. For $25 I'll keep control of my own booking. If there's a price drop I'm not willing to track the TA down and hope he or she will get around to sending in the form.

By the time I'm ready to book, I have chosen the ship, the dates, the itinerary, my dining time, my cabin and my excursions. Why at this point would I need to explain all these things to a commissioned TA so he or she can point and click on a web site? Anyone can do that. If I need something done, I can do it immediately...Even a good TA must be tracked down - could be on vacation, at lunch, home with a sick child or just really really busy. I am the only person who can devote all my attention to me and what I need - Good TA's have dozens or even hundreds of clients. At best, a TA can give you a $25 OBC as a reward for booking with them. Definitely not worth losing control of my vacation.

There are some online travel agencies where you can get more than $25 OBC. I am booked on the Legend in November where I received $175 credit, of which after was priced, was taken directly off the top of my cruise bill. What a $2,300 cruise for anyone who booked directly with Carnival ended up being a $2,125 for my booking. Do your research and you can find the discounts. This is not a special for this TA, but their ongoing pricing policy.

Are there any advantages to booking your cruise directly with Carnival? NO (unless you are one of those people that have to have control of your booking)

Is it better to go through an agent or online company? YES (but only after ample research to ensure you are getting the best deal possible at that time)

Any advice? Do your research. Don't be too eager to book and wait for that special sale (OBC) that's worth all the work you've invested.

We've done both but never really got any perks one way or the other.

We always book with a TA. Carnival never gives OBC for the cruises we're interested in but my TA always does. I could go online to any travel website, point, click, and be done but I like my TA and we have a great rapport. In addition, we never get less than $125 OBC or prepaid gratuities (at times a bottle of wine and other perks come with the OBC). Add shareholder and FCC credits to that and I'm a happy camper .

Nothing like starting off a cruise with over $300 in OBC. IMO, that is worth the work.

Some people don't have time or don't want to spend time researching thier vacation. There is also the knowledge a TA can offer about a particular cruise or destination. A good TA will always return calls promptly and treat you like you are thier only client. They are also there for advocacy on your behalf in the event something goes wrong.

I've booked both ways - with a TA and through Carnival. I must admit I got irritated this week, though, with Carnival. I had been looking around on their website, and the next thing I know, I got an email from a PVP I had used in the past saying that she was leaving for vacation that day, but if I wanted to book, here are two other people to call and say that I was her client. So...I called one to see what she had to say. I had already done all the research and knew the prices, but she quoted me prices above that. When I told her I had already looked at the prices for this cruise and they was lower than she was quoting, she just blew me off...amazing. I went back on the Internet after I hung up and found the same prices I had found the day before. Guess I won't be booking with her! I fired off an email to the original PVP letting her know of that situation. Since we have 23 cruises already with Carnival, it's not like I didn't know what I was doing...perfect example of "customer no-service":)

I haven't used a TA since 1997, when I booked a condo in Hawaii via the internet. Yay world wide web!

I guess I am one of those who would rather have complete control over my booking! I don't like having to wait for a third party to get back to me if I have questions or issues.

As far as OBC's go, it seems to me like you don't get something for nothing and I'd rather just get the best possible rate. I do tons of research via the various travel websites and the cruiseline's website to compare.

To each their own! If you feel you get "extra" or don't have the time or inclination to do the research, use a TA while they still exist!

Archived