HAL $20 Laundry Bags - how big

Wayfairers

I am going to take a 45 day cruise late this fall to Europe and I'm working on the number of clothes to take. I called HAL and got the laundry costs today and I would have to send out the $20 bag 14 times to pay the equivalent of unlimited laundry.

The question becomes.... how much can you stuff into those $20 bags? Gotta remember this won't be shorts and flimsy tops since we aren't in the Caribbean - this will be sweatshirts/sweaters, short sleeve shirts, pants, jeans, undies, socks. I know I could check it out on board before making a final decision but I would pack differently if I have unlimited laundry. Anyone with experience with the bags care to guess at how much will fit in a bag?

We used the bag special at least twice on our Alaska cruise. It was my husband and I and we had no trouble fitting in a week's worth of undies each (that's 7 vneck tshirts and 7briefs for him,7 cotton panties for me and a couple bra's), 7 pair sox for each of us, a couple long-sleeved shirts, and at least two pair of slacks. If you roll the clothes tight, you can fit a lot in those bags.

Just got off the Noordam and it was $30 a bag. I thought it was great and got so much in my bag by rolling tightly! Exact count: DH's 1 pants,1 shorts, 3 polos, 3 underhirts, 5 socks, 5 underwear. Me: 2 pants, 3 blouses, 1 set pj's, 5 underwear. I also did handwashing and it would dry overnight. Since it was so hot I wore a couple of my linen blouses and skirt a few times and they were easy to wash and dry myself.

We saved the laundry bag for items that need pressing, and just washed underwear ourselves in the cabin. It dried quickly on the line. Ladies, I wouldn't put underwired bras in the bag. The wires could snap in a very full bag, and I think delicates like that are better hand washed.

I am going to take a 45 day cruise late this fall to Europe and I'm working on the number of clothes to take. I called HAL and got the laundry costs today and I would have to send out the $20 bag 14 times to pay the equivalent of unlimited laundry.

The question becomes.... how much can you stuff into those $20 bags? Gotta remember this won't be shorts and flimsy tops since we aren't in the Caribbean - this will be sweatshirts/sweaters, short sleeve shirts, pants, jeans, undies, socks. I know I could check it out on board before making a final decision but I would pack differently if I have unlimited laundry. Anyone with experience with the bags care to guess at how much will fit in a bag?

Firstly, the bags are not really all that big! :( The trick for putting clothes into these bags is too ROLL each item up as TIGHTLY as you can before placing them into the bag, so that as many items as possible will be able to be placed into them! ;)

Archived