Celebrity has a golden opportunity to poach Princess cruisers

Dena

When Princess announced its new smoking policy, it took away one of Celebrity's selling points.

However, another new Princess policy may be an opportunity for Celebrity. Princess just announced that it will close its MDR on port days. Since Princess advises those with dietary restrictions not to eat at the buffet and only in the dining rooms, those with special dietary needs have been left to fast. Emails to Princess about this problem go unanswered and Facebook questions get deleted. Princess has clearly decided to shed these cruisers.

Now while Celebrity also closes its MDR on port days, I understand that Bistro on 5 provides table service and gluten free crepes. Princess offers no table service options for lunch on port days. Given how chaotic Horizon Court buffet is, perhaps they also hope to shed those with mobility problems. Celebrity also offers a more extensive room service menu, although I do not know if special diets are accommodated. We have not sailed with Celebrity yet, but I hope to soon.

I just got off a Princess cruise. The lunch in the MDR was not very good. It was a VERY limited menu - on the day we went, it was pub lunch - Do you want battered fish or battered shrimp? For a side, do you want fries or fries? Not surprisingly, there were few people taking advantage of the lunch. I will not miss lunch in the MDR on Princess.

Dena, I know that you are dissatisfied with the dining policies on Princess, and the decrease in lunch options. But really, this seems a little much. Why should Celebrity want to "poach" Princess cruisers, or those of any other cruise line? From reading these boards, all the lines seem to have their devoted fans, which is exactly how it should be. If everyone wants to go on Celebrity, think of how the prices will go up and good cabins will be hard to find ! Anyway, if the recent changes make you more likely to choose Celebrity, you'll definitely be welcomed here. But there really is no need to go on a campaign against Princess meanwhile. Sorry, just my opinion.

I just got off a Princess cruise. The lunch in the MDR was not very good. It was a VERY limited menu - on the day we went, it was pub lunch - Do you want battered fish or battered shrimp? For a side, do you want fries or fries? Not surprisingly, there were few people taking advantage of the lunch. I will not miss lunch in the MDR on Princess.

The pub lunch is not lunch in the MDR. They may have been holding in the MDR, but on all of my Princess cruises it has been in the Wheelhouse. Yes, it is a limited menu, but is just what it says "a pub lunch." It was only offered 2 or 3 times on each of my cruises.

Lunch in the MDR on Princess has the same sort of menu as other cruiselines I have been on. Personally, I am not a fan, so I am glad there are options.

I enjoy sailing on both Celebrity and Princess. Food is not a deal breaker for me. If it is edible, I am happy. I am not sure I would miss the MDR not being open on port days. Then again, I am fortunate not to have any or the problems or issues discussed on prior posts.

Happy Sailing!!:D:D

When Princess announced its new smoking policy, it took away one of Celebrity's selling points.

However, another new Princess policy may be an opportunity for Celebrity. Princess just announced that it will close its MDR on port days. Since Princess advises those with dietary restrictions not to eat at the buffet and only in the dining rooms, those with special dietary needs have been left to fast. Emails to Princess about this problem go unanswered and Facebook questions get deleted. Princess has clearly decided to shed these cruisers.

Now while Celebrity also closes its MDR on port days, I understand that Bistro on 5 provides table service and gluten free crepes. Princess offers no table service options for lunch on port days. Given how chaotic Horizon Court buffet is, perhaps they also hope to shed those with mobility problems. Celebrity also offers a more extensive room service menu, although I do not know if special diets are accommodated. We have not sailed with Celebrity yet, but I hope to soon.

I have an extreme allergy to gluten and Celebrity is wonderful in working with passengers with allergies. As for the buffet; the head chef or one of them will come out and point out each and every dish that is gluten free. On Equinox they even had GF french fries, which is like a treat for me since most places fry everything in the same fryer. We haven't sailed Princess since learning of my allergy but when we did sail Princess one of the things we did like was the dining room being open for lunch. But having the dining room open for lunch on port days isn't a factor when deciding what cruise line to sail at least for us.

I also can't imagine that that Princess wouldn't have some options open for passengers with other types of restrictions that just seems cruel.

The question is, what is the proper way to poach Princess cruisers. Water? Olive Oil? A little white wine?

Water of course but it must be sea water :o

This doesn't sound like the MDR lunch but the pub lunch that is offered on Princess.

Never eat lunch on board during a port day. Usually get something on a tour or try something local. It wouldn't be a deal breaker. I am sure it is because of lack of interest plus a way to remain competitive.

Archived