Differences in French Polynesia Islands and New Caledonia/Vanuatu Islands?

I have posted this in several places, to try to get a variety of responses. Hope this is ok.

Looking for some help with similarities and differences. I have been to French Polynesia Islands of Tahiti, Moorea, Raitaia, Bora Bora and Nuka Hiva. I would love to do the South Pacific off of Australia, New Caledonia, Vanuatu and The Loyalty Islands. How are these islands similar/or different from the Islands of the French Polynesia? Anyone been to both places and tell me some of the similarities and differences? Since I was able to get to The French Polynesia Islands, now I have added some of the other islands to my "bucket list"!

This question is hard to respond to. I could make a glib answer and say the islands all have white sand, blue water and palm trees, but they are all different and the people are very different.

In my opinion the French Polynesian islands are more beautiful, but they all have their charms.

The people of the western Pacific are Melanesians, not Polynesians who live in French Polynesia, Samoa, Tonga etc. Their history, culture and appearance all differ from French Polynesia.

Short answer, but otherwise I will have to write a book!!!

You may be interested to add to your 'ports of call' list Luganville. Now it's not a pretty town but it does have some lovely surrounding areas. If you're into Scuba diving or Snorkling the Vanuatu Islands just off Espiritu Santo is a great dive.

The US troops were based there in WWll and when the war was over they had a lot of millitary equipment on the islands which they were given orders to dispose of. There is a bay called Million Dollar bay where you can snorkle or scuba dive to ships, tanks, planes and all that goes with them.

We saw cutlery, crockery and coca-cola bottles from the 1940s.

Also you can dive the SS President Coolidge. You'll find lots of information on GOOGLE.

There are thousands of beautiful islands in the South Pacific, so the choice is yours....:)

I must say these islands don't have the price tag that go with Moorea, Bora Bora and Tahiti.;)

Jilly:)

I have to agree with Kinkacruiser with regard to the Isle of Pines. It is the most idyllic island that I have been on in the South Pacific. Absolutely beautiful. Herewith some of my photographs.
But then we have to look at places like mystery island in the Vanuatu Islands very nice place and if we go to the north we have Penticost island very different agin to the south.

Thank you all so much. We are looking at flying to Sydney, sightseeing a few days, then cruising Australia. Would love to then cruise to New Calendonia and her sister islands before we go back home. Just trying to decide what time of year works best for us. Either November or february/March is what works best. Also, we prefer the warmer weather, as opposed to the cooler time of year. All your info on Down Under is most appreciated! Keep it coming. I can't wait to come over to see your beautiful country. love the South Pacific too!

I have posted this in several places, to try to get a variety of responses. Hope this is ok.

Looking for some help with similarities and differences. I have been to French Polynesia Islands of Tahiti, Moorea, Raitaia, Bora Bora and Nuka Hiva. I would love to do the South Pacific off of Australia, New Caledonia, Vanuatu and The Loyalty Islands. How are these islands similar/or different from the Islands of the French Polynesia? Anyone been to both places and tell me some of the similarities and differences? Since I was able to get to The French Polynesia Islands, now I have added some of the other islands to my "bucket list"!

If you can wait a few months we can provide feedback. We were in French Polynesia last year (Tahiti, Moorea, Raiatea, Huahine, Rangiroa and Tikehau) and will be visiting the South Pacific Islands off of Australia you mentioned this Nov/Dec.

On our French Polynesia trip, we were on the Royal Princess and then did a post-cruise stay in an overwater suite in Tikehau. For our Australia adventure, we are spending a week up at the Great Barrier Reef and then sailing on the Rhapsody of the Seas.

One difference I can tell you already is with the planning - there were a lot of independent tour operators for each island we visited while cruising in French Polynesia. This year we are having a hard time with the planning as we only found one independent option. Royal Caribbean is only showing tours for one of the four stops (Noumea, New Caledonia) even though we are about two and half months out.

Thank you all so much. We are looking at flying to Sydney, sightseeing a few days, then cruising Australia. Would love to then cruise to New Calendonia and her sister islands before we go back home. Just trying to decide what time of year works best for us. Either November or february/March is what works best. Also, we prefer the warmer weather, as opposed to the cooler time of year. All your info on Down Under is most appreciated! Keep it coming. I can't wait to come over to see your beautiful country. love the South Pacific too!

Look more closely at November for a S.Pacific cruise. You could encounter a cyclone in Feb/March.

Vista beauty wise, FP wins hands down in my opinion. Enjoy your cruise and time in Aus.

Archived