Puerto Vallarta tips needed!

IBCAR18

I am heading to Puerto Vallarta this weekend for the first time on a land based vacation. No cruise unfortunetly. Since this will be my first time there can anyone tell me the "not to miss" places to see or restaurants we should go to???? We will be staying in Nuevo Vallarta. ANy help will be appreciated!!!!

First of all, let me be the first to say that Nuevo Vallarta is NOT Puerto Vallarta. Don't get me wrong...it is a beautiful planned community with wonderful amenities and fantastic hotels and grounds, but you are in a separate state (Najarit) than Puerto Vallarta (Jalisco). That said, it's pretty easy to take a taxi or bus into Puerto Vallarta.

Some "must sees", based on my travels to PV include:

1. Strolling the Malecon on the ocean side and admiring the sculptures and the bay. It can also be fun walking on the shop side, but I guarantee that you will be constantly accosted by timeshare vendors. Usually a simpl, but firm, "No thank you!" will stop them.

2. Take a stroll on the Rio Cuale and check out the various stalls and shops. It's usually a lot cooler down there because of the river breeze. Stop at the River Cafe and have a margarita and chips, and listen to soft jazz and the calming sounds of the river.

3. Spend some time at Los Muertos beach. This is the main beach area in PV, and is loaded with good restaurants and beach vendors. There is parasailing available, as well. Alas, pretty poor snorkeling though. Have a drink at Cuates y Cuetes, located by the pier.

4. Take a longer drive down to Mismaloya Beach, site of filming for Night of the Iguana. Very nice area.

5. If you want a romantic excursion, book the Las Caletas dinner cruise. You are boated out to Las Caletas for a torchlight dinner, and get to see a wonderful show depicting the local culture. The food is wonderful, and the atmosphere is sublime. Las Caletas is the former home of John Huston, who directed Night of the Iguana.

I highly advise the following website for further information.

www.allvallarta.com

Have fun...we love PV!

Thanks so much for the info!!!! I really do appreciate it. I knew we were a little north of PV but I did not realize that Nuevo Vallarta was in a different state. Interesting. Anyway, thanks for the advise and info. Do you know anything about the Bahia Del Sol in NV???

does anyone know where the ships dock and how far is it from the hotels and resorts

The ships dock in the Marina district, which is quite close to the northern Hotel Zone. The Marina has a lot of nice restaurants and shops, but not the traditional Mexico feel. Some hotels in the Hotel Zone offer day passes and have very nice amenities. Downtown is where the shops, stalls, and vendors are located. One could walk about 1-2 miles to get there, but it's much easier to take a bus or taxi, and then just wander around for a few hours.

Thats near the Malecon, the boulevard in Old Town.

I would say abt. 2 miles, take a cab or citybus, it is easy to find.

Archived