Smartphones/iPhones

Lulubelle45

What is the best way to turn off these phones from roaming and still use them for the alarm clock, calculator features? Is airplane mode enough? As a Canadian I understand these charges are insane even in US much less the ship itself (Pearl)

Anyone know of nearby internet cafes in Astoria OR and San Fransico?

Go to the Settings>Go to General>Go to Network. Disable 3G, Disable Data Sharing. Disable anything and everything.

Then, enable Airplane Mode. Your iPhone will still make a fine camera, iPod, Alarm Clock and it will play all of your non-Internet based games/apps.:)

MeHeartCruising is correct, at least for the iphone. Airplane mode turns all the wireless off- cellular, data, wifi, GPS and bluetooth. So you don't need to do anything else. You will know you are in airplane mode anytime you look at your phone, because you will see the orange airplane symbol at the top left corner, and it can only be changed back manually.

Heyas,

Airplane mode turns all wireless connections off on the phone .... so you can't send/receive SMS or make or receive calls either. To turn off Data on the phone do this:

iPhone : Settings > General > Network > slide DATA ROAMING to OFF

Android: Settings > Wireless & Network > Mobile Networks and untick Data Roaming.

I work in iPhone and Smartphone support for Vodafone so I do this everyday.

Cheers,

Rob

Since we like to use our phone as a phone for both phone calls and texting, we do turn off data roaming.

If you want to do some basic email or check a website quick, most carriers will sell a small amount of data roaming for a reasonable amount. Just be careful, as the overages will kill you

I kept my iphone in Airplane mode unless my iPad picked up the ATT network - then we would flip on our phones and make a quick call, etc, then put it back into Airplane mode.

The nice thing with the iPad is it won't connect to anything that can land you with a suprise charge!

We found ATT all over Alaska - and until we pulled into Victoria - a fair amount of Canada (when we were close enough to a town/city for any reception).

Our friends on Verizon - not so lucky............

What is the best way to turn off these phones from roaming and still use them for the alarm clock, calculator features? Is airplane mode enough? As a Canadian I understand these charges are insane even in US much less the ship itself (Pearl)

Put the iPhone in Airplane Mode. But, remember that you can then turn WiFi back on to take advantage of free or low-cost WiFi hotspots.

You won't be able to text or make phone calls in Airplane Mode though, it turns off all five radios. (EDGE, 3G, Bluetooth, GPS and WiFi.)

it turns off all five radios. (EDGE, 3G, Bluetooth, GPS and WiFi.)

I never quite understood why Airplane Mode shuts down the GPS functionality... GPS is a receiver only, so there's no chance of signals interfering with an airplane to begin with.

I have an HTC evo, I shut off the data...everything else works...I can make a call if I choose to...(I know what the price is) and I can text and keep in touch with my family....50cents and 5 cents for the answer...

I don;t put the phone in airplane mode in case someone in my family wants to get in touch with me if there is an emergency.....

I never quite understood why Airplane Mode shuts down the GPS functionality... GPS is a receiver only, so there's no chance of signals interfering with an airplane to begin with.

Well, that's an ongoing discussion of another issue: Why the airlines make you shut the phones down to begin with - other than the fact that I'd hate to have everyone jabbering away on their phones in the air!

There's very little evidence one way or another that cell phones interrupt the equipment in airplanes. I don't mind shutting it off to be on the safe side, but it really infuriates me that certain airlines will not accept "Airplane Mode" as enough. They require you to turn the phone all the way off for take off and landing. Airplane mode shuts off ALL wireless, RF (radio frequency) transmission and reception, including (as mentioned) GPS reception. That should be enough.

Well, that's an ongoing discussion of another issue: Why the airlines make you shut the phones down to begin with - other than the fact that I'd hate to have everyone jabbering away on their phones in the air!

There's very little evidence one way or another that cell phones interrupt the equipment in airplanes. I don't mind shutting it off to be on the safe side, but it really infuriates me that certain airlines will not accept "Airplane Mode" as enough. They require you to turn the phone all the way off for take off and landing. Airplane mode shuts off ALL wireless, RF (radio frequency) transmission and reception, including (as mentioned) GPS reception. That should be enough.

It's the same reason they make you turn off your kid's DVD player... that EMF wave from the battery affects the pilots' brains. ;)

VideoTech: Article for you to laugh at!

/sarcasm

Heyas,

Airplane mode turns all wireless connections off on the phone .... so you can't send/receive SMS or make or receive calls either. To turn off Data on the phone do this:

iPhone : Settings > General > Network > slide DATA ROAMING to OFF

Android: Settings > Wireless & Network > Mobile Networks and untick Data Roaming.

I work in iPhone and Smartphone support for Vodafone so I do this everyday.

Cheers,

Rob

Thanks Rob, as I don't plan on making calls either, I think I'll use the airplane mode.

How do you turn back on wi-fi only on the iphone? I don't want the 3G to be working but would like to hit the wi-fi hot spots.

1 - if you have data roaming turned off, it stays off until you turn it on

2 - If you turn OFF the airplane mode, but then do wifi, you are just fine.

It's the same reason they make you turn off your kid's DVD player... that EMF wave from the battery affects the pilots' brains. ;)

VideoTech: Article for you to laugh at!

/sarcasm

LadyShiva: Thanks for the link - pretty funny!

As for the kids DVD players...given the way some kids act on airplanes, I think maybe we should let the DVD players stay on ALL through the flight! :)

How do you turn back on wi-fi only on the iphone? I don't want the 3G to be working but would like to hit the wi-fi hot spots.

All in the Settings section. Put Airplane Mode on, then visit the WiFi section and turn it on. Then connect to a WiFi hotspot.

And this is easily tested at home (assuming you have WiFi) before you leave for your trip. That way you'll be familiar with the procedure when you need it.

Archived