safety rails on upper berths

lilyfrog73

YMMV but on Princess it was a short rail, I'd not put a 4 year old uptop if they were a rough and tumble sleeper, it would be me :D

Here is a picture of our tight space on Princess.

This is our first cruise with the kids. Do the safety rails on the upper berths cover a decent percentage of the bed? This will be a first for our 4yr old. Anyone have any pics?

53696687_0490_Chillinginourcabin.jpg.14b3eb84110d79e612e8b62c214b2b1f.jpg

I agree with Chip. No, I would not put a 4 year old in an upper berth. I am looking at your signature (Carnival, right?). My youngest is 7 and this may be the first sailing that I will actually allow her to sleep "up top".

Up until this point, her older sister (who sleeps like a rock) has always had the top berth. We are leaving in 2 weeks. I have read too many stories here about kids who have fallen out of them (broken leg, or worse, on a cruise ship, not good).

Here is a picture from one of our Carnival sailings...

003.jpg

Here is a picture from cabin 5199 on the Carnival Pride. I would not put my 4 year old up there to sleep...my 7 year old (7 at the time) slept up there but I would assist him with climbing in and out of the bed. He could do it himself but it was more for my own sanity :o

IMG_1046-1.jpg

Instead- my 4 year old slept on the sofa bed underneath (with Freddy and Sock monkey) and I used the cushion from the sofa to make a little bumper so she wouldn't roll out

IMG_1045-1.jpg

Thanks for all the feedback and pics. Our son will be almost 5 by the time we sail and our cabin is a quad with 2 upper berths. We were trying to get a visual before sailing because he will ask to be like his big sister (she's 10) who will be sleeping in one of the uppers. We will have the sofa available and he'll more than likely sleep with us.

Thanks for all the feedback and pics. Our son will be almost 5 by the time we sail and our cabin is a quad with 2 upper berths. We were trying to get a visual before sailing because he will ask to be like his big sister (she's 10) who will be sleeping in one of the uppers. We will have the sofa available and he'll more than likely sleep with us.

Our five year old daughter (who is tiny) could have slept in the upper birth on the Splendor. BUT, I would have asked for extra pillows and crammed them all around that edge of the opening of the rail. Our berth with rail looked like the Princess one above, open and metal. As it was our then 9 year old slept up there with no problems, and the kids both played up there during the day.

Do any of you ladies know if there is such a thing as a travel safety rail? Hmmmm, if not one of us should invent it and strike it rich:)

I used these at home and never thought about packing it with me for a cruise...I guess it would work ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Regalo-Hide-Away-Bed-Rail/dp/B000CSEE48/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1316618631&sr=1-1

003.jpg

On carnival elation last week it looked just like this. Which was a lot lower than I thought it was going to be. My 5 yr old did sleep up there successfully but I was nervous about it. I tried making the covers be tucked under the mattress on the outside and having the covers open on the wall side, so if he did try to roll off, hopefully the covers would have held him in.

• 1 month later...

DD, who is now six, slept in the upper bunk on Carnival Fantasy at four and on HAL Ryndam at five. She slept in a bunk bed at home, however, at that time. We're also going to put her back in the upper berth on the Eurodam in a couple of months, and it may be a little strange for her to be cleeping "up top" again -- we're probably going to have to use the couch rollout if she resists being close to the ceiling.

Do any of you ladies know if there is such a thing as a travel safety rail? Hmmmm, if not one of us should invent it and strike it rich:)

I've broken down our Safety 1st safety rail and packed it into a standard sized suitcase. Packed the clothes right around it and it barely took up any room. Basically I deconstructed it back down to how it was shipped...worked well and I didn't have to buy another new gadget!

• 2 weeks later...
Depending on floor space, you might also be able to pull the mattress off the upper bunk and put it on the floor.

This is what we did when we had our 4yr and 2yr-old with us. DS4 slept on the sofa, and DD2 on the mattress on the floor. During the day, we picked up the mattress and put it on the sofa (like a second layer). Worked fine for us! :)

My son was nearly four and slept in the upper berth most nights (sometimes ended up falling asleep with us instead). It was the configuration seen above where if he had fallen out he would have landed on us, so it didn't seem too scary. He never came close to falling other than the one time he tried to climb the ladder wearing socks but he didn't try that again and all was fine!

I think you've been beaten to the punch!

One Step Ahead has an inflatable bed rail that is designed for travel:

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=537078&parentCategoryId=85184&categoryId=85218

We use Go BedBug bumpers at home for DD. She is a restless sleeper and when we moved her into a bed at age 3, she would roll all over the bed. We still use one of the bumpers, though I have a travel set of 4 short ones.

http://www.gobedbug.com/

My son had just turned 4 on our last cruise this past january and he slept in what he called his "bunkie bed". He loved it. I was a bit worried as well about him falling out but he did not; also the bunk bed was above us, so if he fell out, he would have fell on our bed. If I find a picture of it, I will upload. We were on Radiance of the Seas.

Archived