beliz city alone

micro yaya

It has been a number of years since I was in Belize. We took a bus tour to some ruins. From what I remember about the city is it did not look like a place I would wonder about in by myself or with my wife. I was glad I was on a bus. Now if you can muster up a large group - say 50 of your closest friends ... :D

Hopefully there are others who have ventured into the city and can tell use of their experience.

It has been a number of years since I was in Belize. We took a bus tour to some ruins. From what I remember about the city is it did not look like a place I would wonder about in by myself or with my wife. I was glad I was on a bus. Now if you can muster up a large group - say 50 of your closest friends ... :D

Hopefully there are others who have ventured into the city and can tell use of their experience.

:)very funny, thanks

we are in our 70's very active, and cruise several times a year. we are going to beliz AGAIN, and would like to see the city. would you venture out of the port area just to walk around and do some shopping?

Yes, go out of the tourist village (where the ship tenders bring you) and cross the street. Smile and say no thanks to th ehawkers for tours on your way. Across the stret is a flea/crafts market with all th enative type items you'll find in the toruist village but less expensive. You can turn right out of the cruise port and walk around the promenade and see the lighthouse and then make you way back down residental streets to your left (just a couple of blocks really) and come upon the flea /crafts market that way. If you turn left out of the tourist village or right after the flea/crafts market (facingt he toursit village wall) and walk about 3 blocks , you'll come to the "swing bridge" that crosses into downtown Belize City. From there honestly there isn't a lot to do. But if you can catch a taxi, get the driver to take you to the St John's Church and then visit the Cultural museum acros the street. It's in the old colonial Governor's mansion and houses a lot of colonial antiques and British history on the island. But then try to grab a taxi back to the tourist village. It's about a 1.5-2 mile walk.

I agree with crewsweeper, except walking down to the swing bridge. When you arrive around the swing bridge, you will probably experience a major cultural shock, and secondly, the area is not for cruise people. My first experience in this area was 20 years ago on a land trip, and was advised by the locals to avoid the area.

Archived