Christmas on the 'Pride'

Miss Jet Set

Today we received our itinerary for this cruise and we see changes have been made. The brochure said we would be in Ko Kood over Christmas however it seems we are now spending Christmas Eve and Christmas

Day docked in a large Container Port. How thoughtful of Seabourn. Can anyone tell us how far away we are from civillization? Laem Chabang

I doubt Santa will find us there.:mad:

Today we received our itinerary for this cruise and we see changes have been made. The brochure said we would be in Ko Kood over Christmas however it seems we are now spending Christmas Eve and Christmas

Day docked in a large Container Port. How thoughtful of Seabourn. Can anyone tell us how far away we are from civillization? Laem Chabang

About 2 hours away from Bangkok and there are various trips in Chonburi province. All the big cruise ships dock there for Bankok.

They did a similar thing with the Legend a few weeks back (my post on this is down on p.2)- changed itinerary from a beautiful deserted tropical island to a large container port in Tamil Nadu. No explanation (no official notification either for that matter).

Hmmm..... do I detect a trend here?

I can't help feeling this is just a another example of the new cynical hard-edged management style. No chance to sell any excursions at Bangaram Island - send 'em to a container port instead and add an overpriced excursion. Neither of the alternatives - staying on board for the day, or wandering the port - have much to recommend themselves.

I can't tell you how distasteful and loathsome I find SB management. Which is why I will not invest any more of our holiday funds with them, even though the experience on board is exceptional....But for how much longer?

You might want to get the port checked as I remember last December there was some confusion on our documents regarding the port. I phoned Seabourn Australia as I needed to confirm for my tour guide and we actually were docked at Klong Toey which is in Bangkok itself. It might have changed with management going to Seattle but hopefully not. Good Luck.

Julie

It may be an error for the Christmas cruise on the Pride as she overnights there but last Spring when they were changing the web site Bangkok was changed to Laem Chabang and the time in port cut to around 8 hours on most of the Pride's other Far East cruises. With a 2 hour coach ride each way it doesn't leave a lot of time in Bangkok.

I have to agree it does seem as though it is a revenue raising exercise as well as saving fuel costs from not sailing up the delightful river. But hardly surprising when one of the new Seabourn's executives has the following job title:

Executive Vice President, Onboard Revenue, Planning, Port Operations and Tours

Onboard Revenue on an all inclusive ship - it says it all and perhaps explains the down grading of the wines to encourage buying of the premium offerings!!

According to the itinerary we arrive Christmas Eve at Laem Chabang at 08.0

and leave Christmas Day at 17.0. We have not been notified and it seems they

do not intend to do so.

The Ko Kood experience has always been a memorable one and we were looking forward to spending Christmas Day on the beach. Even if we stay on board the outlook from

the ship will be dismal.

We booked a private tour on the next sailing (Jan 4) because we didn't want to spend 4 hours on a bus coming and going into Bangkok from Laem Chabang. This was an itinerary change that showed up between out initial selection of the cruise and our payment. We assumed it was because of the other changes at SB Central these days, and we were disappointed but put some constructive alternatives in place.

We would be quite happy to do our own thing from Klong Toey. Is it the same "system mistake" for this cruise as well?:confused:

We received the 28 page brochure from Seabourn (not our T/A) about three days ago with the complete itinerary

of our Christmas Cruise with all the information i.e. how many formal nights, tours

to book etc. and that is where we have the day to day information of where we will be and Ko Kood is not going to happen and Laem Chabang has be sutstituted.

Only tours in Vietnam are mentioned none in Bankok. So who are to believe?

Archived