HAL vs Sun Princess - recent experience?

smalldog

Hi all. I'm thinking about a cruise on the Sun Princess because it's now sailing out of Brisbane. I've been on the HAL Volendam twice before and liked it. Does anyone have recent experience of the comparison between these two ships (or similar ships from the lines).

I read a really good HAL/Princess comparison on these boards from 2009 which said a couple of things about Princess that caught my eye:

- you don't get a top sheet on the bed, just a duvet - is this still true? (I am a true princess and wouldnt' sleep well with that - too hot too cold! ;) )

- Lido food options are mostly pre-prepared rather than prepared in front of you by staff behind the counter - is this still true? (I have certain dietary requirements so i need to be able to control what they put on my plate unfortunately...)

Anything else you think might be relevant would be handy too.

many thanks :)

I can't speak to the Princess experience, but I can talk about the Volendam.

I sailed for 32 days around New Zealand, Australia, Indonesia, and Singapore last February and March. The Volendam is every bit as good as you remember. Lunch and dinner in the Lido was generally prepared in advance; some breakfast foods were, too. But there was also opportunity to put a plate together that was to your specifications.

Coffee is good, too. ;)

The beds were divine. Yes, two sheets, blanket, pillowcases---everything a well-dressed bed needs. The cabins were comfortable.

My section hald a comfortable temperature; further aft on Lower Promenade was hot. However, since the ship was going for drydock when I disembarked it's quite possible that problem was addressed. I did not find the rest of the ship too hot.

Archived