Sun Princess vs HAL - recent comparison please?

smalldog

Hi all. I'm thinking about a cruise on the Sun Princess because it's now sailing out of Brisbane. I've been on the HAL Volendam twice before and liked it. Does anyone have recent experience of the comparison between these two ships (or similar ships from the lines).

I posted this over on the HAL board too, but I thought you guys might have all the latest on Princess!!

I read a really good HAL/Princess comparison on these boards from 2009 which said a couple of things about Princess that caught my eye:

- you don't get a top sheet on the bed, just a duvet - is this still true?

- Lido food options are mostly pre-prepared rather than prepared in front of you by staff behind the counter - is this still true? And if so, can you have some control over what goes on your plate? (I have some pesky dietary requirements, alas... :( )

Anything else you think might be relevant would be handy too.

many thanks :)

Hi, We have recently returned from some long cruises on the Sun Princess. Wish I was on her today when she sailed out.

The question on a top sheet has already been answered.

The buffet (Horizon Court) has prepared food. The only exceptions I can think of - a carvery section for lunch and dinner and someone to fry eggs etc. at breakfast.

We really enjoyed the Sun Princess, but it is several years since we sailed on HAL so I am hesitant to directly compare them.

The buffet (Horizon Court) has prepared food. The only exceptions I can think of - a carvery section for lunch and dinner and someone to fry eggs etc. at breakfast.

Thanks. Were the foods already plated, or did you select for yourself the individual things?

Glad you enjoyed the Sun Princess. :)

Fried, scrambled eggs and omelets are pre-made and you can take as much or as little as you want; or, you can have them made to order with whatever ingredients you want, including just egg whites. As for the rest of the buffet food, there's a salad bar and you can make your own salad with a couple of lettuce choices, a good selection of veggies and toppings, and dressings, including low-fat. There is bread and cold cuts along with condiments to make your own sandwich. I often add turkey, roast beef, cheese, etc. to a salad to make my own chef's salad for lunch.

I like the buffet style on Princess where you can serve yourself what you want and as much as you want without having to wait in line behind someone who asks the server to add a little of this, maybe a little of that, more of this, etc. On some cruiselines, it's like being in line at Subway while someone, when presented with a lot of options, can't make up their minds and keep on finding something else to add. When you control what's added and can just take it, it's a lot faster and easier.

Archived