Anyone else overwhelmed at all the choices?

Tggrtoes

Okay, so I recognize that this is a GREAT problem to have, but all these choices are causing my A.D.D. to kick in. :D I keep bouncing from one to another... just when I say "this is what we're going to do", I change my mind.

Any one bored and can provide input into the choices? (did I post this already - see, I'm already losing my mind! :eek:) We live on the west coast, so there's some benefit to not paying for airfare, but I prefer the Caribbean itineraries, although price and appropriateness for a 4 year old boy is what we care most about (but we do like our adult amenities too. lol). We've done Princess, RCI, and Carnival but not yet tried Disney or NCL (DH went on them years ago but not since freestyle). Oh - and we're going in February (I hope... still waiting for conf on a business trip)

1. NCL Sun out of Orlando (7 day) - would enable us to also go to WDW. We could probably upgrade to a penthouse and get the butler/concierge. is it worth it with kids? (as opposed to MS we'd normally get)

2. Disney Magic from Orlando (7 day) - balcony about same cost as penthouse on NCL.... I think this is worth it?

3. NCL Gem from NY (not thrilled about leaving NY in February), but it's 10 days and a little cheaper than options above - but we wouldn't get to go to WDW (and it's not Nick themed anymore, right?)

4. Carnival Freedom (8 day) from Ft Lauderdale (nice b/c it's 8 days and the cheapest east coast option, but guessing there's a reason for that!?)

OR... we can do one of the West Coast options: Disney Wonder or Carnival Splendor. Anyone done the MR Disney (wonder)? Do you get the full Disney experience?

Okay, so I recognize that this is a GREAT problem to have, but all these choices are causing my A.D.D. to kick in. :D I keep bouncing from one to another... just when I say "this is what we're going to do", I change my mind.

Any one bored and can provide input into the choices? (did I post this already - see, I'm already losing my mind! :eek:) We live on the west coast, so there's some benefit to not paying for airfare, but I prefer the Caribbean itineraries, although price and appropriateness for a 4 year old boy is what we care most about (but we do like our adult amenities too. lol). We've done Princess, RCI, and Carnival but not yet tried Disney or NCL (DH went on them years ago but not since freestyle). Oh - and we're going in February (I hope... still waiting for conf on a business trip)

1. NCL Sun out of Orlando (7 day) - would enable us to also go to WDW. We could probably upgrade to a penthouse and get the butler/concierge. is it worth it with kids? (as opposed to MS we'd normally get)

2. Disney Magic from Orlando (7 day) - balcony about same cost as penthouse on NCL.... I think this is worth it?

3. NCL Gem from NY (not thrilled about leaving NY in February), but it's 10 days and a little cheaper than options above - but we wouldn't get to go to WDW (and it's not Nick themed anymore, right?)

4. Carnival Freedom (8 day) from Ft Lauderdale (nice b/c it's 8 days and the cheapest east coast option, but guessing there's a reason for that!?)

OR... we can do one of the West Coast options: Disney Wonder or Carnival Splendor. Anyone done the MR Disney (wonder)? Do you get the full Disney experience?

I have been on the Disney Wonder, Disney Magic, Carnival Freedom and NCL Gem's sister ship the Jewel. With a 4 year old child my choice would be the Disney Magic. To me the Disney ships are wonderful for kids between 4 and 7 and I'm glad I was able to give my kids that experience at that age. Our Disney Wonder cruise was a 3 day cruise/4 day WDW. Much to short of a time on the ship. The other ships were great when they were older and the Disney "magic" no longer awed them. I wouldn't pay for Disney at the age they are now (14 and 17)...but I would love to do it again someday when I have Grandkids to enjoy it with.

Thanks Warm Breezes! :) I know DS (and us) will love whatever we decide, but there's nothing quite like Disney. Now if I can just get DH to open up the pocketbook. :p

Especially at that age. We did Disneyland, WDW, Disney Magic and Disney Wonder while our kids were between the ages of 2 and 10. My kids loved all things Disney. Seeing it through their eyes made it well worth the cost IMHO. I will never forget DD, who was 4 at the time, watching the video of Tinkerbell flying over the Disney Wonder while the ceiling twinkled over the audience in the production theater. She had just seen Tinkerbell at WDW flying down from Cinderella's Castle so she just "knew" she was real. She looked up with wonder her eyes and asked "Does this mean we can fly?" IMHO that alone made it worth the cost...

My kids are huge Disney fans, but not so much fans of DCL. They (and us) preferred the more personalized treatment they received on RCI, on Disney they were just another kid. We also didn't feel the extra cost was worth it, especially considering you could be in a suite on another line at similar cost.

And, just an FYI...the websites will say the ships sail from Orlando, as that's the most common airport, but the cruise terminal is actually Port Canaveral, about an hour away from WDW. That confuses some people as it's not an inexpensive taxi ride away like FLL to Port Everglades.

• 2 weeks later...

we just came back from our first DCL cruise (previously sailed 6 times w/RCCL, once with Holland America) and also live on the West Coast, had many similar questions.

Disney is/was offering Kids Sail Free on certain Mexico trips so if you're up for Mexico this would be most convenient for you - short or no flight to LA plus a discount!

After our trip DH stated that now we have a child we will be sailing on DCL every year. DCL does plan to sail to Western Caribbean out of Galveston Texas in 2012 so you may want to look into that, we're thinking of booking one of those.

I was looking at Allure and Oasis on Royal Caribbean as they seem to come close to offering the nursery, splash pool, etc services for very young kids that DCL offers but unfortunately those ships seem to only sail out of Florida and we're just tired of the long flight east to board a ship

Archived