snorkeling in Cozumel

jofrank

We've been there twice. Go to the website and print out discount coupon before you leave on your cruise. It's a little pricey (entrance fee) but IMO it's worth it. No vendors bugging you to buy their silver, bar service right to your beach chair, lots of shade, clean restrooms / changing rooms, and great snorkeling. Plus, we've never seen it crowded.

Chakanaab Park is a wonderful place to snorkel. You don't need a tour, just grab a taxi at the port for about $10.

Also, go to the Caribbean boards and you'll find lots of info on Cozumel! One of my favorite places ever!

We were there last year and I was actually disappointed with the snorkelling. There just wasn't that much to see. The Sea Lion show was very good though and swimming with the Dolphins looked better than the site that exists on Tortola.

We enjoyed a day at the Pal Mar Beach Club on Cozumel. They offer food on the premises for purchase, showers, snorkel equipment rental and a fresh water pool. It is nice to have a spot to relax away from the sand and salt water. The grounds of this estate are beautiful. The owner Sherri is very hospitable.

Cozumelinsider dot com offers information and discounts.

http://www.moneybarbeachclub.com/

This place is great, good food, drink and the snorkeling was wonderful. The tours anchor in the same location. There is no charge to snorkel here and the cab was $8 for four.

That's what DW and I do every time we're in Cozumel... Go to "Dzul Ha (prounouced "Shell Ha") beach" which is where the "MoneyBar" is located. They charge for a locker ($2 or $5... I forget), so you can put all your clothes/valuables in and lock it up, and I think they rent snorkel gear, although you'd better check first... we always bring our own. But this beach is one, if not the best place to snorkel in Cozumel for ease of access (use their ladder and pier to go in and out... don't go in to the right of the lockers where it's rocky and wavy!) There are plenty of fish just a few yards (50?) out where they've sunk a bunch of concrete "fish attractors," and when we swim out there from the beach we're actually swimming right along beside the catamarans that bring snorkelers out for $50 each!

Last time we were there we even swam along with a large sea turtle.

This is the place to go!

Actually, Cozumel is one of the best places in the Caribbean for a drift snorkel. (Sufficient predictable currents along the reef) Consider doing this rather than just going to a beach. You will be amazed by the difference.

We have used Rosie with Mystic Snorkeling several times. If you google rosie, mystic snorkeling, I am sure you can find out about it.

Bill

We did a Palancar Reef Snorkel excursion with the cruise line a couple years back and it was excellent. We're avid snorkelers and usually avoid cruise line tours but this one fit our schedule nicely for a last minute booking and it really went well.

Archived