Hills of Lucca and Wine Tasting

Dmgmd50

Has anyone taken Oceania's tour from Livorno called Hills of Lucca and Wine Tasting? If so, what did you think about it?

We were going to go to Florence but now it appears that the Uffizi is sold out that day so I need to find an alternative.

Lucca is a great excursion from Livorno. One time we rented a car - they had it waiting for us at the dock - and it was an easy drive to Lucca. 1 hr. Last May there were 6 of us so we got a driver for the day and did a nice lunch in Lucca and drove through the wine country with a few stops. I'm sure the ship tour is fine - but always expensive with lots of people.

Have Fun!!

We did this excursion in August and had a wonderful time. Lucca is a very charming town. We were there relatively early in the morning, as the shops were opening up. There was a pleasant walking tour followed by free time. The guide was very, very good. She had a great personality and entertained us with stories during our bus ride. The afternoon winery tour was very pleasant -- a family run business of relatively small scale. We enjoyed the food that was served during the tasting as well.

If you are adventurous, why not take the train from Livorno to Lucca. It's a nice train and you get off right in the town. It's a walled, university town and delightful to walk thru. You can stop and have lunch and wine. You can even get off at Pisa on the way back and then take the bus to the tower and then back to the ship. We did in 2003 when we first sailed on Oceania....we had a lovely time and would do it again!! Arlene;)

We also took the train to Lucca with a stop at Pisa along the way. Lucca is a lovely walled city, with wonderful small piazzas to wander through. The day we were there we were lucky enough to encounter a street market and I bought some wonderful antique lace for my quilting. We enjoyed a wonderful al fresco lunch on one of the piazzas and walked along the top of the wall for a ways. It was fall, and I remember leaves as big as dinner plates on the walkways and a beautiful blue sky. Definitely worth the trip!

Oh, if you decide to take the train, be aware of pickpockets! Our friend had her backpack opened and rifled by a young woman carrying a small baby as we got aboard the train. Luckily, and she had nothing of any value in there.

Has anyone taken Oceania's tour from Livorno called Hills of Lucca and Wine Tasting? If so, what did you think about it?

We were going to go to Florence but now it appears that the Uffizi is sold out that day so I need to find an alternative.

We took this tour 3 yrs ago. Fantastic.We did it with Oceania expenseve but worth the price.Lucca is a great town to walk around they gave us like 2 hours I think.

We took this tour last August. As others have said, we bussed to Lucca, had some free time to walk around and then drove to the winery. Had a lovely tour and very much enjoyed the lunch and the wine.

I can't remember exacty, but the tour was under $100 for 4 or 5 hours.

In fact we did 2 other wine tours with Oceania and they were all good.

We took a private tour with two other couples. We visited three fantastic Super Tuscan wineries and had lunch in Bolgheri. There are many tours available in that region.

This was the tour we took: Guido's Tours. http://www.guidos-tours.it <http://www.guidos-tours.it>

phone +39 055 828377 mobile +39 338 443 1840

I did the tour in May and honestly felt that we were being rushed through the Lucca. It is a fascinating city and should be taken at a slower pace. There are so many tours going through the city you can tag along and hear what the tour guides are saying and save yourself a bundle. We wished we had done it on our own instead of taking the ship's tour.

This was the tour we took: Guido's Tours. www.guidos-tours.it <http://www.guidos-tours.it>

phone +39 055 828377 mobile +39 338 443 1840

We just returned from our cruise two weeks ago and we also used Guido for our Livorno day and would highly recommend him. We did not visit Lucca as their just was not enough time that day to do it all but we did visit a winery. I told Guido what we wanted to do and he made it all happen. We managed to spend a few hours in Florence visit the Accademia, visit a small winery for wine tasting and lunch and still have 30 minutes at the Pisa square. I have written a review on Guido's tours on tripadvisor but it is still pending for some reason. However, I know that there is other reviews there for you to read. There was six of us on this tour and all of us agree that it was one of our favorite days. Guido was great and is a wine sommelier. He does specialize in wine tours but also does sightseeing tours. Good luck in your decision making!

Cheers,

Tropiclady

A few years ago we too took the train to Lucca and then on the way back to the ship got off at Pisa walked over to the tower and took our Kodak moment pictures. Went back to the train and bus back to the ship on our own. If you don't mind using public transportation, two buses and four trains round trip. It can be an exciting time. When in Lucca we walked around the town inside the walled city. We found that things there didn't start until around noon. I guess too many musicians live there;-) It was worth the effort to practice our feeble Italian along the way.

I did the tour in May and honestly felt that we were being rushed through the Lucca. It is a fascinating city and should be taken at a slower pace. There are so many tours going through the city you can tag along and hear what the tour guides are saying and save yourself a bundle. We wished we had done it on our own instead of taking the ship's tour.

Thank you NO FUSS TRAVEL...Vancouverites think alike. The question was - has anyone taken this OCEANIA tour and what did they think of it? We will take your advice and travel to Lucca for the day on our own.

Thank you NO FUSS TRAVEL...Vancouverites think alike. The question was - has anyone taken this OCEANIA tour and what did they think of it? We will take your advice and travel to Lucca for the day on our own.

Did you do it on your own taking the buses and trains? We were initially planning to take the trains. However, reading other boards, it sounds like the most complicated part is getting to the Livorno train station from the pier. Some say that it is hard to get a taxi at the pier because the drivers want to get fares to Florence. That is why we asked about taking the ship's tour which would add the visit to the winery.

Did you do it on your own taking the buses and trains? We were initially planning to take the trains. However, reading other boards, it sounds like the most complicated part is getting to the Livorno train station from the pier. Some say that it is hard to get a taxi at the pier because the drivers want to get fares to Florence. That is why we asked about taking the ship's tour which would add the visit to the winery.

We too are going to do Lucca on our own - if anyone remembers bus or train numbers or colors that we need to take the info would be appreciated.

I thought that I read that once we get off of the ship there is a bus to take us out of the port area, then do we catch another bus to the train? We over night in Livorno on the day we are going to Lucca (a Monday), so we are in no hurry - we really don't have to be back at any certain time.

Has anyone rented bikes and done the wall in Lucca?

Sorry about all of the questions, and I know that I am off of the topic about O's tour, but when everyone was posting about doing it on your own I just had to ask a few questions.

Thanks in advance for the help.

As we recall we took the shuttle into the city, walked to the bus station, on the way purchased tickets for the bus to the train station in a tobacco shop. Got on the bus, punched the tickets in the back of the bus as required. If you don't the fine is a big one. Got off at the train took the train to Pisa, got off and switched trains. Took the second train to Lucca. We spent most of the morning walking around Lucca. We got back to the train station bought tickets to Pisa/Livorno. We went to Pisa walked over to the tower. Took our pictures and walked back to the trains and repeated the procedure to get to Livorno in time to walk thru the market before boarding the shuttle bus back to the boat well before departure time. The distances on the bus and trains as you can see are not long. It is a good way to learn how to navigate through Italian public transportation and meet locals in a non-touristy way.

Archived