virgin voyage

jjjk444

Hi, I am new here and am looking to book my first cruise for this coming June. A few questions-is a 5 day enough for a first cruise?? Is it best to book now or will the rates come down?? Best to call or book on-line?? We are thinking of doing the destiny cruise to grand Turk, Half moon cay and Nassua-any thoughts of this cruise??

Thank you, I look forward to getting a lot of good info from you all!!!;)

Five days is plenty for a first cruise. I've never been on the Destiny nor have I been to Grand Turk but there is a lot to do in Nassau and Half Moon Cay is fantastic!! It really is a crap shoot whether or not prices will go up or down, June is a summer sailing and it's always going to cost more to cruise when kids are out of school.

Spend some time on these boards and you'll find a lot of answers to your questions. There are different places to research ports of call, snorkeling advice, cruise attire, etc. Just about anything you can think of.

As for online or over the phone, I would call since it's your first time. Hopefully you'll get a wonderful person on the phone who will take their time and walk you through everything and answer all your questions. If not, hang up and call back! I have an excellent PVP but to be honest, I don't remember how I got him. :)

Have fun!

First of all, welcome to the world of cruising! You'll be addicted after the first one, so prepare yourself. LOL

My first cruise last year was 8 days and I loved every minute of it. My second cruise and my mom's first was 5 days. I agreed to the 5 days because my mom was a little skeptical about cruising. On day 2 she says, "we should have booked a 7 day!" LOL

For me a 5 day doesn't work just because the first full day of the cruise I'm wiped out. With travelling and boarding and exploring the ship and gobbling up all the food on the first day, I'm good for nothing on the second day. So sadly, that leaves only 3 days to enjoy on a 5 day cruise. But it might be good for you.

I would definitely call Carnival to book the first one. The PVPs are friendly when you call and are more than happy to answer any questions you may have. I called several times with questions before I finally pulled the trigger.

June will be expensive. Just be prepared for that. It doesn't really matter when you book if you book Early Saver. Carnival has a price protection on this so if the price drops anytime before the cruise, you get the difference taken off your balance or onboard credit if it's after final payment. The PVP can explain this more when you book.

I've never been to any of those locations or on that ship, but I've seen pictures of Half Moon Cay and I would pitch a tent on the beach for life if they had free wi-fi. LOL

Enjoy your cruise and ask any/all the question you'd like. :)

If you think you have a good rate, book now. If the price goes down BEFORE you make your final payment you can get a price reduction. Once you pay you can't get money back or an on board credit (Am I right fellow posters?) Enjoy your cruise

We always book Early Saver to be guaranteed the lowest rate. You're correct in that you can get a price reduction before final payment no matter which rate you booked. But, to get OBC after final payment you need to have booked Early Saver. That way you can get price decreases until 2 days prior to sailing. Enjoy!

If you think you have a good rate, book now. If the price goes down BEFORE you make your final payment you can get a price reduction. Once you pay you can't get money back or an on board credit (Am I right fellow posters?) Enjoy your cruise

You are 99% correct. If you book the Early Saver rate, then you still get price reductions in the form of OBC after final payment and all the way up to 2 days before sailing.:)

Hi, I am new here and am looking to book my first cruise for this coming June. A few questions-is a 5 day enough for a first cruise?? Is it best to book now or will the rates come down?? Best to call or book on-line?? We are thinking of doing the destiny cruise to grand Turk, Half moon cay and Nassua-any thoughts of this cruise??

Thank you, I look forward to getting a lot of good info from you all!!!;)

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

You certainly picked an excellent itinerary for your first voyage! I'm not a fan of Nassau but your other two ports are amazing. Just a quick point... the ports of call are not guaranteed. Weather, rough seas or a number of other reasons might prevent you from making port. It doesn't happen that terribly often but it does happen.

No one can predict if the rates will drop. We always book early and watch for any changes in the prices.

If I were you I'd likely call to book. At least you'll have some point of contact if problems arise. Make sure you get all of your questions answered to your satisfaction before you hang up, however!!!

:)

I agree I think that a 5 day is a good way to go for your first cruise. That was what I did anyway! It's long enough to get away and relax yet you're not stuck on a boat for what could seem like an eternity if you don't like it. For me, I loved cruising and it proved too short and my last 2 cruises have been 7 days. I booked a balcony for the first time and now I'm afraid to try anything else.

I booked online the first time and did Early Saver. No recommendation on whether to call or not. I booked my last cruise by calling because the room I wanted wasn't listed on the website (they only show 10 at a time, doesn't mean the ones not show aren't available btw). While the lady did get me the room I requested other than that I got no benefit from calling. In fact she didn't even give me her extention to reach her again if I needed or to book with her again which I found odd.

Good luck I'm sure you'll have a good time though!

Archived