specialty coffee MDR breakfast diamond

gmadvm

Can DH go down to the MDR diamond breakfast section and get a specialty coffee or are we going to have to sit down at a table? Do you think he could get it to go? He wasn't allowed to leave the nightly diamond event with his glass of wine although I was allowed to leave with my 25% off mixed drink. The waiter said it was because I had paid for mine but DH had not paid for his. I can understand that they don't want you to be running free drinks out the door to offload to people who did not have access to the lounge, but it was only about 1/3 full and we were heading to dinner.

Second, is the cappuccino or espresso even worth going to the MDR? I don't drink coffee, so wouldn't know what is good or not, but I've read that the regular coffee is pretty bad, so maybe the specialty coffees are too?

thanks, gerri

Can DH go down to the MDR diamond breakfast section and get a specialty coffee or are we going to have to sit down at a table? Do you think he could get it to go? He wasn't allowed to leave the nightly diamond event with his glass of wine although I was allowed to leave with my 25% off mixed drink. The waiter said it was because I had paid for mine but DH had not paid for his. I can understand that they don't want you to be running free drinks out the door to offload to people who did not have access to the lounge, but it was only about 1/3 full and we were heading to dinner.

Second, is the cappuccino or espresso even worth going to the MDR? I don't drink coffee, so wouldn't know what is good or not, but I've read that the regular coffee is pretty bad, so maybe the specialty coffees are too?

thanks, gerri

If you are on a ship that has both a concierge lounge and a diamond lounge, you should have access to the appropriate lounge which has a coffee machine that dispenses Cappuccino and Espresso as well as coffee. I find the cappuccino to be very good. Your husband should be able to get what he wants and can bring it back to your stateroom or wherever you decide. There are also coffee bars on most, if not all, the ships that offer specialty coffees for a price.

I was surprised how good the regular coffee was in the mdr and room service on Explorer (I sailed it on 9/10/11). I did enjoy the cappuccino at the Diamond Breakfast. My waiter always had it prepared the way I like it. In fact let me say here that the Diamond Breakfast and Diamond Lounge servers were all terrific. Plus I was able to get the cappuccino in a mug.

Just off the Explorer 3 weeks ago. Diamond members were not allowed in the CL at any time (only D+ and Suites). We went to the Diamond breakfast once. It was a small dining room off the main dining room and you could get a specialty coffee there.

The tables were very large and you were grouped together. Same menu as the regular dining room. There service was not so good and we never went back.

The nightly Diamond event was held in the 19th hole up on deck 14 off the crown lounge (Dizzy's). Great view and plenty of wine and champagne. Trial mix was the only food served but mixed drinks were 25% off and plenty strong. Service there was excellent.

I was also on the 9/10/11 sailing of Explorer. I found the service in the Diamond breakfast area to be excellent. Unfortunately, I cannot answer your question about specialty coffees. I did not see anyone just pop in to get a coffee to go. I also do not know what the quality of those coffees is, as I do not drink them, but the regular coffee is excellent. Even though neither DH nor I partook of the specialty coffees, we ate there every morning to enjoy thew superior service. There is one waiter and two assistant waiters to handle the area, and it was never full, so there was always someone readily available to get you what you need. It was also nice having the same waitstaff every morning, and we had the same table companions every day too. There are a few small tables available if you want to have breakfast alone.

My general experience with specialty coffee in the dining area is that it wouldn't be worth the wait if you just want to show up to get it to go. On numerous ships I've had a long wait or the machine has been "broken" and unavailable. While enjoying breakfast as well ... not a biggie. While waiting ... might get irritating.

Our last experience on the Explorer was similar regarding the removing of wine glasses from the Diamond Lounge. Our problem was solved, however, by the servers giving us paper cups (the one's from the Promenade Cafe) to take with us to dinner.

I must admit though we only had one glass of wine each evening. Everytime we turned our heads the glass was topped off by the staff, ergo only one glass.

The servers were well taken care of by cruise end.

Archived