RCC exchange or let the credit card do it?

Marisawrite

I see on the checkin papers that we have the option to use RCC's currency exchange program and have our credit card charged in our own currency (Australian dollars), instead of paying in US dollars and letting our credit card provider do the conversion in the usual way.

Any idea what's the best option?

It depends on how much your credit card provider charges to do the conversion but generally it is less expensive than letting the cruise line do it. We have a card where no charges are made for use overseas which we only use for travel expenses. If you do choose to have your bank do the conversion you need to visit Guest Services during the cruise to ensure that they are following your instructions. The cruise line will want to do it as they make commission on the deal.

I always let our credit card company do the conversion. They used to do it for free, but now in the tightening economy they are charging, still think it works out better than RCI doing it.

You can prepay for alternate dining/drinks etc before you go in your own currency and depending on the conversion rate at the time that may work to your advantage...

I always check off the option for my credit card issuer to do the conversion (to CAN$) - that has always been at a better rate than RCCL's conversion rate (I would imagine this would be similar for Australian $?).

However, if you decide to do this, be warned that RCCL is very inconsistent on paying attention to this option - pretty well every cruise I mark this off, and then when I check mid-cruise for my statement, it is always marked as converted by RCCL to CAN$. I then ask them to convert it back to US$ - when I get my final statement the final morning, it is often converted back to the CAN$ option.

This used to drive me crazy - spending precious vacation time in line at Guest Services to correct it, particularly debark day. Now I have decided I will mark it at the beginning, and will not worry about it if it gets changed - the difference in exchange is not worth my time trying to correct it.

I hope that helps...........

Archived