First time cruise on Queen Mary

Jody Ellis

Hi my parents have booked a christmas cruise on the Queen Mary around the Caribbean. We haven't cruised before and don't know what to expect. Neither my brother or I really want to go as we think its a holiday for older people. I am 18 and my brother is 15.

What can we expect on the cruise? Is it all bingo and snobby older people?

It's a 15 day cruise and I understand you have to dress up for dinner. What does everyone wear in the evening? I don't know what to pack for formal evenings etc. What are they. Also what do you wear on normal evenings.

Any help would be great seeing as I have to go on this holiday even though I would rather stay at home with my aunt and her family.

Thanks Jody

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

At Christmas you will find more families on ships doing shorter cruises than a 15 day cruise.

Being able to cruise at that time of the year -- 2 holidays will be very festive.

Cunard is more formal than other cruise lines. For you -- dressy dresses will do for formal nights. For your brother -- slacks, dress shirt, tie and a jacket will do for formal nights.

Otherwise on the other nights you both can wear slacks -- or you can wear skirts and blouses or dresses. No shorts or tank tops in the main dining room for dinner.

Enjoy your wonderful cruise.

If you are not a dress person, you can go a long way with dress pants (blak, or/and silk or velvet) with a dressy top for formal night.

There will probably be lots of kids your age on board. My boys met lots of others that they are still in Facebook contact with.

You will have a blast!

Archived