Independent excursion and NCL's departure time

rich40245

We are looking at an excursion for Grand Cayman. We are a family, three generations, of nine: five adults, and four children: 13,10, 6, and 4. We want to do a trip to Stingray City. This would be the one excursion for the whole group of nine to take together. We prefer a sailing ship. NCL will not take a four year old on their sailing trip. Dexter's Fantasea Tours will. However, they show a return to the dock time of 5:30 PM. The NCL Sun's itinerary shows a depart time of 7:00 PM with this general message:

Due to security reasons, all guests must be on board 2 hours before sailing.

My memory says the two hour rule is for the initial departure for the sailing, in this case from Cape Canaveral.

Am I wrong? Any suggestions?

We are looking at an excursion for Grand Cayman. We are a family, three generations, of nine: five adults, and four children: 13,10, 6, and 4. We want to do a trip to Stingray City. This would be the one excursion for the whole group of nine to take together. We prefer a sailing ship. NCL will not take a four year old on their sailing trip. Dexter's Fantasea Tours will. However, they show a return to the dock time of 5:30 PM. The NCL Sun's itinerary shows a depart time of 7:00 PM with this general message:

Due to security reasons, all guests must be on board 2 hours before sailing.

My memory says the two hour rule is for the initial departure for the sailing, in this case from Cape Canaveral.

Am I wrong? Any suggestions?

You are correct you should be back on board 1/2 hour prior.

Be sure to check for reviews on your tour provider.

The normal re-boarding appears to be 1/2 hr before sail from ports. However, the bottom decision on this is through the individual cruise itself and is noted in the dailies and at the gangway when leaving, which really isn't much help when you are booking ahead. NCL's FAQ states no later than one hour so you are still within that time if you return at 5:30 (provided there are not any delays in you returning)

From NCL

"Boarding Time in Ports of Call:

In all ports of call, it is also the guest's responsibility to be back onboard the ship no later than one (1) hour prior to the ship's scheduled departure time. Please be aware that shipboard time may differ from the port of call and it is the guest's responsibility to follow the shipboard time. In the event a guest misses the ship, it will be the guest's responsibility to pay all expenses incurred to rejoin the ship."

Lets see...go by the printed warning, or go by my memory? Decisions, decisions...sheeze...what's the worst that could happen? :eek:

Not sure where the OP's quote came from but NCL FAQ says one hour. LOL and thats printed.;)

remember that you will be tendering...allow for that time too.

A sailing trip just means that you spend more time going to and back...we did stingray city by power boat and it took at least 30 minutes.

Check out where the planned boat actually leaves from (most don't leave from the ship's pier area)...you may also have a 20 car ride back and forth.

Unless the wind conditions are right, you won't be sailing anyway...I would look for a tour that has a time schedule that fits better.

remember that you will be tendering...allow for that time too.

A sailing trip just means that you spend more time going to and back...we did stingray city by power boat and it took at least 30 minutes.

Check out where the planned boat actually leaves from (most don't leave from the ship's pier area)...you may also have a 20 car ride back and forth.

Unless the wind conditions are right, you could have trouble getting back by the stated time.

If all this is correct, then OP I'm glad it's you with these variables and not me. :D OK I'd be paranoid about doing this :eek:

I didn't realize it was a tendered port.

Archived