Visa req

lolmerry

Hi,can i just ask anyone that is going on a cruise that involves a stop at sanya,china if you are getting a visa or not,I have read several items on the zaandam rollcall about this and the latest one i read said HAL had contacted them to say you DONT req a visa for sanya,china?? Im confused and need to start applying for one if needed ( travelling 4/1/12) Asia Discovery Zaandam, I dont want to pay out for one,if im not going to need it, I did contact my online t/a and they said i would need a double entry visa,, HELP any of you that know,

Many Thanks for any replies,,:confused:

Hi,can i just ask anyone that is going on a cruise that involves a stop at sanya,china if you are getting a visa or not,I have read several items on the zaandam rollcall about this and the latest one i read said HAL had contacted them to say you DONT req a visa for sanya,china?? Im confused and need to start applying for one if needed ( travelling 4/1/12) Asia Discovery Zaandam, I dont want to pay out for one,if im not going to need it, I did contact my online t/a and they said i would need a double entry visa,, HELP any of you that know,

Many Thanks for any replies,,:confused:

HAL says no...Your TA says yes...and you turn to a bunch of strangers for another answer when you have all this money tied up in your cruise. :confused: Without knowing where you are from, I would suggest that you contact the Chinese Embassy or Counsulate Office closest to your residence and ask them.

Do a google search to find your country's visa requirements for Sanya, China from a government source. Here is one website I found with a quick search (didn't look at it long enough to see if it is from a government source) http://www.sanyaweb.com/tip/visa/china_visa.html

Maybe OP could also do a CC search on Chinese visas and the downsides of not obtaining one and being denied entry. That senario happened to a new CCer much to their surprise.

My advice is not to be surprised and contact the approriate consulate or embassy to confirm what the documentation requirements are so that way you can have smooth sailing.

Depends on how many stops in China that you have. Our ports were Shanghai, Xiamen and Sanya. We were told we needed a multi-entry as each port constitutes a new entry. This info came from the Chinese Embassy - eventually. We thought it worth the extra cost rather than have a problem when we arrived.

Many, many, many others have asked this question here & of HAL & their T/A's.

HAL's itinerary originally said Visa Required, then NO Visa Required & now Visa Required.

I have an e-mail from them & a separate one from my T/A saying NO Visa Required.

Just recently they are saying a Visa is required only if you leave the ship there without buying a HAL shore excursion.

The Sanya Website says NO Visa Required.

Confused yet?

The problem is that Visas for 2 cost over $300 & we are in port for only a few hours & many say there is not a lot to see there.

The other problem is that some say you may be denied boarding of your cruise at the start if you do not have this Visa.

A large company lake HAL should be able to give customers accurate info about their product.

I understand that sometimes Visa requirements change.

All we are asking for is the most recent info they have, not a prediction of the future.

Hong Kong does not require a Visa & Sanya is our only other Chinese port.

The other problem is that some say you may be denied boarding of your cruise at the start if you do not have this Visa.

This pasenger found exactly that after being denied a Chinese visa:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1471135

and the follow-up

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1480315

MHO is to get the visa if you have time and not worry as much about the $300 as the potential downside of not having a visa as the other HAL passenger found out.

This thread is????? if you have a visa question contact the a consulate of that country or hire someone to do it for you--do not take anyone elses advice but follow what the consulate tells you--also HAL states specifically that you should contact the appropriate consulate for guidance--get over it and just do it.

This is not a cruise critic isue for advice or otherwise

BG

Spoke to HAL today,explained there was a lot of confusion about the china visas,They told me as a uk citizen that if you do a excursion from the ship they will provide your visa onboard, if you want to just get of the ship in sanya and do your own thing you will have to get your own visa before you board,This was confirmed by the T/A,When i explained about the confusion they told me,We are the HAL ADMINISTRATION so we should know, so i will do a trip onboard and let them get my visa to save doing it myself

Did you get that in writing? I read another thread on here where someone wanted to board the ship somewhere other than where the cruise started. They called HAL at least twice and got two different answers. I called HAL for the bag laundry price on my upcoming cruise and got one answer but those on here told me the price on board has been different than what HAL told me.

It is your decision if you pursue this further, but I personally would check with the UK government. Since it appears that you have an unusual situation, a call to the proper government office would give you the best answer.

Did you get that in writing? I read another thread on here where someone wanted to board the ship somewhere other than where the cruise started. They called HAL at least twice and got two different answers. I called HAL for the bag laundry price on my upcoming cruise and got one answer but those on here told me the price on board has been different than what HAL told me.

It is your decision if you pursue this further, but I personally would check with the UK government. Since it appears that you have an unusual situation, a call to the proper government office would give you the best answer.

HAL told me 2 months before sailing they would send out written details stating that if you do a excursion with the ship they would provide the sanya,china visa,so i will wait and see,there will still be time to get one myself if need be,surely you have got to go on what information they send you,its a big company they shouldnt give out false information,also my online travel agent as confirmed what they told me,would love to hear from someone that as sailed recently to sanya on HAL,they would know,/

This thread is????? if you have a visa question contact the a consulate of that country or hire someone to do it for you--do not take anyone elses advice but follow what the consulate tells you--also HAL states specifically that you should contact the appropriate consulate for guidance--get over it and just do it.

BG

Sorry OP but I agree with big green. Go to the source for the only valid information, not what others here have experienced as they may hold different passports or different citizenship papers and therefore require different visas if any. Running the risk of ruining a longer HAL cruise for $300 just doesn't equate IMHO.

I have had a letter from H.A .about my up and coming cruise,

U.K. Citizens and 25 other Countries.Do not need A Visa for

Sanya China as long as we stay on the ship.Still wonder and

will ask questions 90 days before It only takes a week to get.Visa

:confused::confused::confused:

BG

I have sent e-mails to consulates with either confusing answers or none at all.

Agencies always say you DO require a Visa (that gets them cash!).

Would you buy just to "get it over with" if you had one stop in each country & visited 10 countires?

At $300/country that would be an extra $3000.00 for Visa's only!

Would you buy just to "get it over with" if you had one stop in each country & visited 10 countires?

That assumes all 10 countries actually required a visa which is rarely if ever the case.

The better question should be would you potentially jeopardize a $X,000 cruise for $300?

I have sent e-mails to consulates with either confusing answers or none at all.

Agencies always say you DO require a Visa (that gets them cash!).

Call the consulate or have a visa service ( that you pat do it)--this board can not solve this issue for you--

contact the consulate for the country you wish to visit--the cost is the cost.

BG

I have had a letter from H.A .about my up and coming cruise,

U.K. Citizens and 25 other Countries.Do not need A Visa for

Sanya China as long as we stay on the ship.Still wonder and

will ask questions 90 days before It only takes a week to get.Visa

:confused::confused::confused:

i agree going to do the same,I have got it in writting that you do not need a visa if you do a excursion onboard they will provide and if you dont get of ship you dont need one,

Good luck and hope you don't run into anywhere near the same kinds of issues as the HAL guest in the threads I linked previously. Waiting until past final payment to revisit the visa issue seems risky to me but that's only MHO.

Why would they have a problem? HAL has told them in writing that they don't need the visa for Sanya if they are staying on the ship or taking a HAL excursion. Are you suggesting that HAL is going to deny boarding to numerous passengers who have this in writing from HAL? I don't think so.

Hong Kong though it's part of China falls under the "One Country , Two Systems" Policy. Hong Kong operates under a seperate government system and is not considered part of Mainland China. Mainland China on the other hand requires visas for US Citizens to enter. Sanya China is considered part of Mainland China and is under Mainland China Goverment regulations. Therefore it's highly likely that the OP needs a visa for entry.

I would never make my final decision based on what CC Boards. When in doubt I always go for the Visa. The money is insignificant in relation to what's already invested in this cruise, considering that you could be denied board from the start of the cruise if you fail to have the proper document.

Archived