Travel Agent vs. NCL Booking

ikajus

How do you book your NCL Cruise and why?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. How do you book your NCL Cruise and why?

• Travel Agent (better price/upgrades)
    • Travel Agent (better service)
    • NCL (better price/upgrades)
    • NCL (better service)

None of the above :confused: Most of the time.

Next cruise - NCL same price and only way I could book sold out cat.

Cruise after - NCL higher price ($25), cabin selection, contol of booking

Last Cruise - NCL lower price because of upgrade

Prior Cruise - TA lower price

Prior Cruise - Both Lower price - one cabin was cheaper with TA, one with NCL go figure

How do you book your NCL cruise? Just wondering which would be better if I decide to book another NCL cruise after I get back from my trip on the Star.

For the most part, the pricing is close. You should also look into booking while you're onboard to get the obc. You can always release the res to a t/a if you choose, & NCL will protect the rates if the go down (of course before penalty)

The last cruise I went through a TA, but the next one I went through an online Travel Agency. NCL price was at least $200 pp higher for a mini-suite. I think you can find some pretty good deals online. Just make sure all the fees are accounted for before you turn over your credit card.

but I think in the future we'll book directly with NCL -- better control over our booking, like Shoreguy says. And really, the prices aren't much different! Might be worth the few extra dollars to deal directly with the cruise line!

Keep in mind when you or anyone does that you take on the job a good TA will do for you. When things don't go as planned the burden is on me to fix it. I enjoy it but it might not be the right thing for everyone.

A ggod TA can solve problems because they have built up relationships and contacts with the cruiseline. For most leveraging that might be the best route. I have built my own contacts and when my reservation for the Jewel was cancelled for some unknow reason I was able to restore even though all the cabins were sold out.

If you booking with a no/low service online service not sure what value they add except price. They are not going to check the fare regularly to see if it has dropped, they are not going to make your upgrade a priority, but they will send you edocs so you can stand at the pier and fill out your luggage tags.

There are three options for me.

Book direct - as long as I still enjoy taking the time to work my own booking

Book online - where I can save major $ - great group rate etc. The savings will have to enough to offset the hassle of working thru a nonreponsive middle man.

Book with a quality TA - when I get tired of dealing with the mess myself.

I've never seen an NCL direct price that came close to the more aggressive internet agencies. For our upcoming 11-day Alaska cruise, we paid $2080 for an outside cabin for two that would have been $2500 from NCL. That's a 20% higher price.

On my 4 previous cruiss I used a local TA & received excellent service. I'm one of those people who frequently think of questions long after I have booked the cruise. Although now that I have discovered CC I may not need to bother him as much. The Ta I have used has been very patient with me & very accomodating. That said, my current booking hs been a nightmare. I booked cruise on line with a price that was way too good to be true & of course it was not. I have been able to get NCL to cancel that booking, get the amount lost to the on line TA refunded by my credit card & am now rebooked through NCL for about $2000 more than my origonl purchase. The lessons I have learned are: 1) if the price looks way to good something is wrong even if the TA checks out with the BBB & he belongs to every travel society/organization in existence. 2) if you are requested to pay in full at the time of booking even though it is a year in advance an alarm should go off in your head. 3) If you do pay in full & your credit card statement shows that only the deposit is charged by the cruise line & the rest is applied to the TA's buisness account something is fishy.

From now on I will go back to my origonal TA & purchase through him. I will check out the on line TA's & NCL to be as informed as I can & see how close he can get to other advertised prices. Unless his prices are way out of line & I doubt that they will be, I will go with him & get the service (& honesty) that I have come to expect.

On my first cruise, my then-fiance's parents booked it for us through a local TA for our honeymoon. It was extremely generous of them, but they didn't do any research on prices or anything, so just took what the TA offered...I think they paid way too much, but we had a wonderful time.

On my 2nd cruise, I used a huge online cruise-only TA...very good price, very poor service. We upgraded from a regular balcony to a suite (paid, of course), and added a 3rd passenger onto our booking. We made these changes all at one time and way before final payment was due. So, we just made the agency quite a bit more commission. Even with that, they still charged us $50 to add the 3rd person and $35 to upgrade the cabin. What a rip!

Now, with my 3rd cruise just booked, I used another cruise-only online TA, but this one came with high recommendations from another CCer. The price was the lowest anywere, and so far, so good. I had a ton of questions after I placed my online order, and they responded back immediately. Then, the next day after talking with my travel-mate, we decided to go for a suite - so I used their 1-800 number and got wonderful, friendly service. Can't complain yet! Plus, they don't charge for changes unless it's a name-change after the final payment...which is understandable.

So, hopefully this one will be a continued good experience, and I will keep using them for future bookings.

--Jimmie

Someone on another post had said that now you can't get upgraded unless you book through NCL directly. Is this true, does anyone know??

Not true - The difference is if there is an upgrade offer made available NCL will call your TA. Your TA may or may not call you or call them back in a timely manor. The good ones will.

I went thru this with a large discount broker. I would call and ask to check on upgrades on Monday. If I was lucky they would check on Thu of Fri. I am not sure they ever really checked. After my third call it would always be - "nothing available". They just did not want to be bothered with changes in my booking. Had to get that next new booking.

Book direct they will call you direct. If you miss the call it is on you :(

Nothing is always the case, so please don't hold me to this, but usually a TA will get a better or certainly as good a price as booking through the cruise line and the service is better. Again, this isn't always the case, you may get a lazy agent or one that doesn't produce enough business to get the better rates: This doesn't mean the larger TAs always have better rates, but they have more flexibility and can offer benies that generally you will not get from the company directly. Again, nothing is Always and many can give examples to off set my statement. NMNita

I can drive by my local TA and get a brochure. Plus when I get ready for assistance doing a non-cruise vacation she's there to help. She handles mailing my points certificates making copies for me etc.

Question for those that say a TA gives better service than NCL - do you have some examples?

Peter

Lots of TAs can give better service then NCL if that is what you need. NCL is not going to help you decide on a ship, cabin selection, search for the cheapest week to book, spend time explaining all the details of your docs, make sure you are pre- registered, book private air or hotels, answer a lot of the same questions posted here.

Don't forget most cruise passengers don't even know about this and other good online resources. They count on a professional TA.

If you want or need service find a TA you trust.

TAs often spend hours trying to get the best for a client. We research, pick out a few possibilities and then back to our clients with our suggestions. If this isn't what they want we start over. I have clients that call me, know exactly what cruise they want and I book it. I love these people, they love me. They still would rather have me take care of the details. Also if there is a rate adjustment I am more inclined to find it and get back to them than the cruise line. I have other clients that I will spend hours working up plans for them, some cruises, sometimes land vacations. I love them also as I know they depend on my expertiese (not my spelling) to help them have a successful week or two vacation. It's like buying or selling your home by owner, it works many times, but more times than not it is better to depend on a professional. NMNita

Archived