Seattle Q&A/FAQ (Part 2)

CC Help Jenn

waf125,

traffic gets bad by 7am so you'll be way ahead of rush hour Plan on a 30 minute ride, but it will probably be 20. You need to be getting into a taxi at 4:30- 4:45am. Yikes! At least there are lots of breakfast choices at the airport.

Which airline? some of the concourses are distant and require a tram ride.

It is Continental.

Thanks for the info. I guess it would be better then to just get a hotel at the airport and use light rail to go to the downtown area. We would get a little more sleep that way!:D

It is Continental.

Thanks for the info. I guess it would be better then to just get a hotel at the airport and use light rail to go to the downtown area. We would get a little more sleep that way!:D

Is it any less painful to leave a downtown hotel at 5am than an airport hotel at 5:20am ??

Is it any less painful to leave a downtown hotel at 5am than an airport hotel at 5:20am ??

:D:D 20 minutes less painful!! :p

Actually, we just won the Hilton at SEATAC for $50 night on priceline for our stay so the decision was made. I was bidding up to $80 for downtown and not getting anything. The light rail is directly across the street from the Hilton so I am happy with it...

Next question is towncars.... I have been reading and researching and think getting a towncar from Amtrak station downtown to the Hilton Airport is the best for us.

Any recommendations? I will need to reserve ahead correct?

Thanks everyone for all your help and suggestions!!:D

Congrats on the hotel price!

There will be taxis waiting at Antrak. There's a flat rate of $32 for all taxis from the downtown area to SeaTac. I assume an airport hotel location would be the same but maybe not.

Already There limo service always get positive comments on this board. I think a towncar would be $45.

Call the taxi and limo for a price comparison.

http://yellowtaxi.net/rates.htm

http://alreadytheretowncar.com/

Edited by mapleleaves

Thanks!

We just booked Already There Towncar! Charlotte was very helpful and nice!

Can't believe it but I think I finally have everything booked for our trip!

I want to thank everyone who has helped me in the planning and booking stages of my trip. I hope to be able to pay if forward!:D

• 2 weeks later...
Looks like an interesting place to me, but are there things of interest to kids or would it be as my youngest one says, "Just a bunch of shopping"? :)

There's something for everyone at the Market. You certainly don't have to be a shopper. I hate shopping but I enjoy the sights and sounds at the Market. My only shopping is at the various bakeries. The Market is very large; covers a few blocks and has several levels. You can stay for as little or long as you like. When you've had enough, walk down to the waterfront. The fish throwing is great fun, and it's interesting to see the different types of fish, geoducks and other assorted 'creatures'. The colors at the produce and flower stalls are so vibrant. Nice views of the waterfront and ferry traffic too. Look thru their web site to see the pictures and the

a listing of stores:

http://www.pikeplacemarket.org/

There's a free bus. Stop by the Klondike Museum, free, if you're heading to Alaska.

http://metro.kingcounty.gov/cftemplates/show_map.cfm?BUS_ROUTE=099&DAY_NAV=WSU

Edited by mapleleaves

Thanks, especially for the link! I don't know how I missed that. :o

After reading your review and seeing the photos, we're definitely going to make time to see it during our trip! We have a day before and after our cruise, so I'll be sure to hit the market during lunch-time. :D

There's something for everyone at the Market. You certainly don't have to be a shopper. I hate shopping but I enjoy the sights and sounds at the Market. My only shopping is at the various bakeries. The Market is very large; covers a few blocks and has several levels. You can stay for as little or long as you like. When you've had enough, walk down to the waterfront. The fish throwing is great fun, and it's interesting to see the different types of fish, geoducks and other assorted 'creatures'. The colors at the produce and flower stalls are so vibrant. Nice views of the waterfront and ferry traffic too. Look thru their web site to see the pictures and the

a listing of stores:

http://www.pikeplacemarket.org/

There's a free bus. Stop by the Klondike Museum, free, if you're heading to Alaska.

http://metro.kingcounty.gov/cftemplates/show_map.cfm?BUS_ROUTE=099&DAY_NAV=WSU

• 2 weeks later...

We (3 adults and 1 baby) are travelling mid May. We will be arriving on Saturday morning around 9:30am at SEATAC and will need transportation to Pier 91. What would be the most economical way to get 3 adults, probably 4-5 suitcases, a baby, a stroller and a carseat to the pier? We would also need a transfer back to the airport the following Saturday with the same amount of gear for a 1pm flight. I think last time we cruised out of Seattle it was out of Pier 30, and we found a HAL bus. Not sure how much that transfer would be. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

• 1 year later...
Whoops! Didn't mean to resurrect such an old thread. My apologies!

It's okay--I've wondered what became of this all-purpose Seattle thread. It was kind of useful!

In answer to your questions...yes, Safeway does deliver here, but they require a $49 minimum purchase. If you need that much stuff, you can order at https://shop.safeway.com/ecom/home?brandid=1

You could also try Amazon Fresh https://fresh.amazon.com/ . They deliver a variety of food items in Seattle. They don't have a minimum order but they charge a bit for delivering.

I thought I remembered reading that Safeway will deliver groceries to some hotels in Seattle. Is this true? Which hotels? I'd like to have juice and snacks for my kids delivered.

Alternatively, if you stayed at the Warwick Hotel (or the Andra, at the other end of the block) you'd be across the street from Ralph's, a decent mini-market.

Or, higher end hotel and higher end shopping, the Pan Pacific is directly above a Whole Foods.

It's okay--I've wondered what became of this all-purpose Seattle thread. It was kind of useful!

In answer to your questions...yes, Safeway does deliver here, but they require a $49 minimum purchase. If you need that much stuff, you can order at https://shop.safeway.com/ecom/home?brandid=1

You could also try Amazon Fresh https://fresh.amazon.com/ . They deliver a variety of food items in Seattle. They don't have a minimum order but they charge a bit for delivering.

Wow! Thank you. So, they will deliver to any Seattle hotel? I'm going to look into the three hotels you mentioned.

We'll be cruising for 2 weeks, so I'm sure I will have more than $49 in order (unless the cost of food is far less than we spend here).

Thank you so much!

Alternatively, if you stayed at the Warwick Hotel (or the Andra, at the other end of the block) you'd be across the street from Ralph's, a decent mini-market.

Or, higher end hotel and higher end shopping, the Pan Pacific is directly above a Whole Foods.

Which of those is closest to Pier 91 (is that the correct number for Holland America?)

Which of those is closest to Pier 91 (is that the correct number for Holland America?)

There aren't any hotels near Pier 91; it's an industrial type area about 5 miles north of the downtown core. A cab from anywhere downtown to the pier will cost about $20. So don't use proximity to the pier as a factor in finding a hotel. There are hundreds of hotels, including all the major chains in Seattle so just find something that meets your budget and families needs. Also, keep in mind that downtown Seattle is really quite so it doesn't cost a fortune to get around. ie if you stay downtown you can get a cab to the seattle center/space needle for $15 or you can catch the monorail. Or VV, if you want to stay nr the Space needle. Or stay on Lake Union and catch the streetcar to downtown. In other words you can stay anywhere,

Perhaps look at the Seattle forum of tripadvisor. Under Top Questions there's info on hotels and areas.

I am arriving on 7/26 at 10am but my cruise doesn't leave until the 29th. Was thinking about doing AirBnB but have no clue what area I should be looking at for a rental. I will be there solo for 2 days with friends arriving on the 28th. Not planning on renting a car so public transit would be a necessity.

I did look at hotels in the Marriott chain but they didn't have anything available for the nights I need. Is something going on during that period that would book all the hotels?

I did look at hotels in the Marriott chain but they didn't have anything available for the nights I need. Is something going on during that period that would book all the hotels?

I was wondering the same thing. We need a hotel on the 22-23 and can't find anything either. Weird!

It's Seafair (big local festival). There are some events the weekend of July 26-27 (the Torchlight Parade is Saturday night) but the biggest ones (the Blue Angels air show, the hydroplane races, thousands of people consuming thousands of gallons of beer out on Lake Washington) happen the weekend after that. Still, that might be having an impact.

But mostly, I think you're just running into Seattle in the summer. Summer truly begins here, traditionally and according to the weather records, the week after the Fourth of July. The last weekend of July, statistically, is the most likely one of the year to have good weather. This is when Seattle is putting on her best face, and a lot of people want to come and enjoy it--so hotels can charge a premium, and still fill up!

Anyone here stay at the Warwick Hotel while in Seattle?

Thoughts/Pros/Cons

We stayed there for two nights post-cruise last July. The room was small but nicely furnished. We were behind the elevator but never heard any noise or elevator dings. We also overlooked the parking lot. We got the rooms from Travelocity secret hotel, it was either 3* or 3 1/2 * in the theater district for $125 per night. The Ralphs mini-market was just across the street and very convienent--we were in and out of there once or twice a day. For the price, we would stay there again.

We stayed there for two nights post-cruise last July. The room was small but nicely furnished. We were behind the elevator but never heard any noise or elevator dings. We also overlooked the parking lot. We got the rooms from Travelocity secret hotel, it was either 3* or 3 1/2 * in the theater district for $125 per night. The Ralphs mini-market was just across the street and very convienent--we were in and out of there once or twice a day. For the price, we would stay there again.

Thanks for your reply...much appreciated.

We are just trying to find a somewhat decent priced hotel for one night close to pier 66.

We're going to be arriving back at Pier 91 in the morning, but don't fly out of SEATAC until close to 6pm. Our plan is to rent a car for the day, the. Drive to Bremerton and tour the USS Turner Joy, and whatever else is nearby. We'll then return our car at SEATAC and head on home. My question is which car rental facility do I request the car pick up from? I understand we will have to shuttle from the port to the car. From what I can tell we have a choice between Alamo and National.