Can you bring wine on board?

BIGDADDY1

All bottles pay corkage and no limit. If you pay corkage and don't drink it you can get a refund.

You are correct that there is no limit to the number of bottles you can bring, but there is no such thing as a refund on corkage fees.

Corkage fees ($15) are paid on every bottle of wine that you bring onboard, no matter where you plan on drinking the wine.

If you go to NCL.com, and then to the FAQ section of their website, you will find the information.

Wow, this question gets posted at least once a week, even though it's very easy to search for a previous topic or read the FAQs on NCL's site. Just, wow.

Actually, you usually do not need to search (though that is a cool tool). Just by scanning over postings from the past 24 hours this topic usually appears a few times.

Meanwhile, welcome aboard.

Actually, you usually do not need to search (though that is a cool tool). Just by scanning over postings from the past 24 hours this topic usually appears a few times.

Meanwhile, welcome aboard.

Agreed. I'm sorry if my response came across too harshly, I'm just surprised by the same questions coming up nearly daily. The search functionality could be vastly improved and highlighted on this site though.

On the other hand, the more often this questions pops up, the more likely (or not) NCL may finally have a change of heart and maybe.... NCL will allow passengers to bring one bottle of wine per passenger per cabin on board without paying a corkage fee. ( that'd be nice)

I'm still trying to figure out if it would be cheaper (love ;) that word 'cheaper') and buy a few bottles of wine on shore, pay the corkage fee, and have a glass of wine in my cabin or anywhere else on the ship, even taking my glass of wine into the dining room.

Just a guess, but 3 drinks a day on board ship at $7.00 per drink comes out to $ 21.00. Multiplied by 10 days is $210.00, and that's NOT including the 15% gratuities and the extra tip.

Now, two bottles of 'cheap' wine is about $80.00 plus $ 30.00 on corkage, that works out to about $110.00 or so. Hmmmmm.....back to figuring.

$ 210.00 -( $110.00) = $100.00 saved....(I like that):D

Wow, this question gets posted at least once a week, even though it's very easy to search for a previous topic or read the FAQs on NCL's site. Just, wow.

Agreed. I'm sorry if my response came across too harshly, I'm just surprised by the same questions coming up nearly daily. The search functionality could be vastly improved and highlighted on this site though.

Two problems with this and not necessarily with this topic because it comes up so often. But in order to search and get an exact answer sometimes takes some creative wording. And secondly because search results may be outdated. For example if you searched this and found an answer from a couple of months back you would find the rules are totally different. There used to be different charges for different sized bottles, now all sized bottles of wine come with a $15 corkage fee.

On the other hand, the more often this questions pops up, the more likely (or not) NCL may finally have a change of heart and maybe.... NCL will allow passengers to bring one bottle of wine per passenger per cabin on board without paying a corkage fee. ( that'd be nice)

I'm still trying to figure out if it would be cheaper (love ;) that word 'cheaper') and buy a few bottles of wine on shore, pay the corkage fee, and have a glass of wine in my cabin or anywhere else on the ship, even taking my glass of wine into the dining room.

Just a guess, but 3 drinks a day on board ship at $7.00 per drink comes out to $ 21.00. Multiplied by 10 days is $210.00, and that's NOT including the 15% gratuities and the extra tip.

Now, two bottles of 'cheap' wine is about $80.00 plus $ 30.00 on corkage, that works out to about $110.00 or so. Hmmmmm.....back to figuring.

If your "cheap" wine is $40 per bottle plus corkage, NCL has quite a few different bottles/types aboard for quite a bit less than that. Many choice that are less than $55 per bottle.

If your "cheap" wine is $40 per bottle plus corkage, NCL has quite a few different bottles/types aboard for quite a bit less than that. Many choice that are less than $55 per bottle.

I believe onboard their wine prices start at about $30 + the 15% gratuity and go up from there.

how exactly does this work??

This only works if you get away with it. Wine "boxes" aren't allowed to be brought on the ship. Taking the wine out of the box doesn't make it any less wrong.

Rum runneres are ways to smuggle liquor on the ship, and if found they will be confiscated.

Instead of looking for ways to break the rules, why not just follow them like everyone else?

You math is a bit off in that you figured your costs based on 3 glasses of wine per day X 7 days = 21 glasses of wine.. That's a lot of glasses to squeeze out of two bottles! But then again, a wine that costs approx $40 on shore would likely cost at least $12 per glass onboard, so the logic makes sense :D.

Robin

The cheapest bottle is $28 plus 15%= 32.20 for a bottle of wine I pat $8.00 for.

Veuve Clicquet Brut champagne is $82+15%= 94.30 for something I pay $47.99 for.

Add all the savings up for us over 8 days/7 nights. 9 bottles (7 wine and 2 champagne) I saved about $200, but we drove to the port.

You are correct that there is no limit to the number of bottles you can bring, but there is no such thing as a refund on corkage fees.

Corkage fees ($15) are paid on every bottle of wine that you bring onboard, no matter where you plan on drinking the wine.

If you go to NCL.com, and then to the FAQ section of their website, you will find the information.

Yes, you most definitely can get a refund of the corkage fee provided you bring your receipt showing you paid the corkage AND you bring the unopened bottle to guest services on disembarkation morning.

If the PP's "cheap" wine at home is $40 a bottle, I really don't see them enjoying the under $55 wine onboard. It will probably cost them double. There is a thread on this board where someone compared the cost of the bottles of wine onboard to the cost on land, and came to the conclusion that, if possible, it's cheaper to bring your own bottles, and pay corkage.

There is a thread on this board where someone compared the cost of the bottles of wine onboard to the cost on land, and came to the conclusion that, if possible, it's cheaper to bring your own bottles, and pay corkage.

That would completely depend on where it was purchased. I priced my wine of choice in 2 different locations in LA before we went on our last cruise and it would only cost me $2 more to buy it onboard including the 15%. Certainly not worth dragging a couple of bottles with me. The convenience to me was worth a couple of bucks.

So this may very well hold true for some and $2 is "cheaper" but I guess it's all in the worth, and it was worth it to me to just buy it onboard. As well if you are leaving from your home city, then you probably already know where your cheapest spots are to buy it. But flying in like we were, we would have had to make sure it was safe not to break in our shipped luggage and getting to a city we didn't know and try to buy it there.

Yes, you most definitely can get a refund of the corkage fee provided you bring your receipt showing you paid the corkage AND you bring the unopened bottle to guest services on disembarkation morning.

You are correct. In May we got a refund of the corkage fee for two bottles we brought on board but did not drink by bringing them to guest services on the morning of disembarkation. They walked us over to the java cafe bar and a bar manager issued a refund for $15 each.

That would completely depend on where it was purchased. I priced my wine of choice in 2 different locations in LA before we went on our last cruise and it would only cost me $2 more to buy it onboard including the 15%. Certainly not worth dragging a couple of bottles with me. The convenience to me was worth a couple bucks

It always works out better if you can bring it from home. I priced champagne in new York and in Nassau. I buy cases at home because I get a discount and it makes it a great deal to bring it with me because I drove last cruise. If I had to find it somewhere in a port city after flying in I would also figure in taxi rides to get some two buck chuck!

It always works out better if you can bring it from home. I priced champagne in new York and in Nassau. I buy cases at home because I get a discount and it makes it a great deal to bring it with me because I drove last cruise. If I had to find it somewhere in a port city after flying in I would also figure in taxi rides to get some two buck chuck!

LOL not necessarily since it is waaaayyy more expensive in Canada than the U.S. for any liquor. But yes if you already live in the U.S., I can imagine it is cheaper at "home" and that was my point.

Thank you all for your input; very much appreciated.

We have decided it's worth the extra effort going the BYOW route. Pay the $15.00 corkage per bottle, get us a few wine-glasses from the cabin steward, and we are set.

We'll be off to the Liquor Downtown Store, at 207 E. Flagler in Miami; we'll have plenty of time because we are flying in the the day before the cruise anyway. Besides, there's a Marshalls across the street for some last minute shopping.... just in case we should buy us some wine glasses.... ;)

We have decided it's worth the extra effort going the BYOW route. Pay the $15.00 corkage per bottle, get us a few wine-glasses from the cabin steward, and we are set.

We'll be off to the Liquor Downtown Store, at 207 E. Flagler in Miami; we'll have plenty of time because we are flying in the the day before the cruise anyway. Besides, there's a Marshalls across the street for some last minute shopping.... just in case we should buy us some wine glasses.... ;)

We are off to the Liquor Downtown Store, at 207 E. Flagler in Miami; we'll have plenty of time because we are flying in the the day before the cruise anyway. Besides, there's a Marshalls across the street for some last minute shopping.... just in case we should buy us some wine glasses.... ;)

We are off to the Liquor Downtown Store, at 207 E. Flagler in Miami; we'll have plenty of time because we are flying in the the day before the cruise anyway. Besides, there's a Marshalls across the street for some last minute shopping.... just in case we should buy us some wine glasses.... ;)

Archived