Motor Coach from Denali to Seward, or Motor Coach to Anchorage train to Seward

TracyL

We will be taking the train to Denali and staying there for a couple of nights with possibly a night in Talkeetna. My question is, should we take the motor coach the entire trip to Seward, or take the motor coach to Anchorage, overnight in Anchorage and then take the train to Seward? Is the route on the motor coach much different from the train route to Seward?

If your motor coach from Denali NP to Seward is on one coach without having to make a change and spend time waiting, I would do that. The route to Seward from Anchorage to Seward by coach and train are very similar.

You also need to compare prices for the 2 options.

If your motor coach from Denali NP to Seward is on one coach without having to make a change and spend time waiting, I would do that. The route to Seward from Anchorage to Seward by coach and train are very similar.

You also need to compare prices for the 2 options.

Thanks, the motor coach would be dirent from Denail, which would eliminate a need for an extra night in Anchorage. I'm leaning that way, I just don't want to miss out on some spectacular scenery along the way.

You will see plenty if you are on the left hand side of the coach as you board (right hand side as you are seated.)

You can do a GOOGLE search and follow the route on GOOGLE street view for plenty of the way. You will even see the coaches as they go down the road. I would suggest starting at Potter Marsh on Alaska route 1 south bound.

I've made that drive plenty and have walked a good part of it including the Bird to Gird Trail.

The water on the right as you head south is Turnagain Arm.

If you really want to stop along the way and see the views, rent a car in Anchorage and drive yourself. It is impossible to get lost. I promise.

You will see plenty if you are on the left hand side of the coach as you board (right hand side as you are seated.)

You can do a GOOGLE search and follow the route on GOOGLE street view for plenty of the way. You will even see the coaches as they go down the road. I would suggest starting at Potter Marsh on Alaska route 1 south bound.

I've made that drive plenty and have walked a good part of it including the Bird to Gird Trail.

The water on the right as you head south is Turnagain Arm.

If you really want to stop along the way and see the views, rent a car in Anchorage and drive yourself. It is impossible to get lost. I promise.

Thanks, I'll check out google. It is good to know which side of the coach we should sit on also. Is one side better that the other on the train ride to Denali?

I have a different opinion. First, I never recommend Denali /Seward in a single day. IF you are that short on time, maybe readjusting would offer you better options.

The train vs the Seward Highway, Anchorage /Seward is VERY different, with the train superior.

But going Anchoarge/Denali Park is just about parallel to the Parks Highway, and if on limited time, this isn't the best use of it. You can see and do more with a rental car.

I have always found the train trip from Anchorage to Seward in regards to seeing things much better than driving. It does run parallel until about Portage when it heads out towards the Grandview area and lots more that you won't see from the road.

I mean I live here and occasionally I just take the train, so I don't have to make the drive.

Susan in Anchorage :)

We will be taking the train to Denali and staying there for a couple of nights with possibly a night in Talkeetna. My question is, should we take the motor coach the entire trip to Seward, or take the motor coach to Anchorage, overnight in Anchorage and then take the train to Seward? Is the route on the motor coach much different from the train route to Seward?

Pictures from a moving bus are trickier than from a train I found.

We took the train and here are a FEW shots. First two are before the train and road separate, the last ones are train only views.

DSC_0514.JPG

DSC_0520.JPG

DSC_0540.JPG

DSC_0558.JPG

DSC_0578.JPG

I only went inside to eat breakfast with the hubby and make sure he hadn't traded me in for someone willing to sit still and look out thru the windows.

As noted above, seats are assigned on the Alaska RR.

BUT, I have my preferred seating which I always take advantage of. :)

From Anchorage, I sit this segment, until Grandview on the right side of the train- IF my seat assignment is the left, then I head to the dome car, or park in the vestibule. After the Arm, I switch sides, so my viewing is left, either in the assigned seat, or the alternative listed above. :)

The purchased coupon books may also offer discounts depending on the upcoming offers for next year. Will be out by next month.

Archived