Airport strike

"Qantas has warned that a nationwide strike by airport baggage handlers and ground staff will affect more than 6100 passengers.

Members of the Transport Workers Union (TWU) at major airports will stop work for four hours during Tuesday's morning peak as part of an ongoing row with the Flying Kangaroo's management over pay and conditions.

"We apologise to our passengers who will be caught up in this strike action from the Transport Workers Union," Qantas spokeswoman Olivia Wirth said in a statement issued on Monday"

"UPDATE 5.37pm: QANTAS passengers face weeks of possible delays and cancellations after ground staff flagged plans for more rolling strikes until a row over pay and conditions is settled.

About 3800 Transport Workers Union baggage handlers and ground staff members walked off the job this morning, delaying thousands of fans heading to this weekend's AFL and NRL grand finals.

The union will hold a further two-hour stoppage between 4pm and 6pm at airports on October 7.

'They now intend to take rolling stoppages until this dispute is resolved,'' TWU national secretary Tony Sheldon told reporters in Sydney.

About 8400 passengers were affected by today's action, with Qantas cancelling two flights and delaying 40 others"

What do people think about this action..........as we plan to cruise in a few weeks and will need to fly to sydney?

B&B

Hi We have a flight next Saturday Bris to Syd - then connecting with an international flight to the US - we are a bit nervous at this stage. Contacted Qantas and they advised to keep an eye on their website update to see if any changes / delays etc.:(

Hi We have a flight next Saturday Bris to Syd - then connecting with an international flight to the US - we are a bit nervous at this stage. Contacted Qantas and they advised to keep an eye on their website update to see if any changes / delays etc.:(

I'd be worried too. Surely there must be a better way to get a pay rise than stressing and inconveniencing travellers.

Whilst I detest bully boy tactics in unions trying to get what they want..........Alan Joyce, CEO of Qantas recently took at 71% pay increase to $5 million a year. Investors have not received any financial return (dividends) for years.

This pay dispute, as well as the pilots dispute, has been on the table for many many months then Joyce takes a whopping pay rise. Investors are not getting any financial return either.

These guys do not want to strike, they want to negotiate.....and Qantas are refusing to even sit down with them.................I'd be striking too.

It's unfortunate for travellers and I share you concern for your travel arrangements, but blame the over paid Qantas executives and not the lowly worker.

Disruptions are also happening with Customs and Quarantine having stop work disruptions as well.

I guess they are giving plenty of notice when they are walking off the job, so I would recommend keeping your eye on the news (not Qantas' website) and be prepared to change your travel arrangements and travel a few days earlier.

We fly out of Sydney to Rome on Thai, 4.25pm on Tuesday Oct 7. Day of strike.

Fingers crossed. We will get to the airport at 12.30pm, to give ourselves some space.

I have little time for these arrogant unionists, all they do is disrupt the public. I note they are not on strike Monday Oct 3.

Why? Because it is NSW Labour Day a Public Holday, no doubt the airport workers are on triple time.

:eek::confused:

Wonder if we will be affected on an Air NZ flight into and out of Brisbane over the next couple of weeks???

You may face a mild delay, but I doubt it. AirNZ has their own staff at major Australian ports, I believe.

Archived