Has anyone done the Titanic graveyard tour with Grayline?

Hi,

We'll be crusing to St. John and Halifax next August. In St. John we'll probably so the St. Martin / Bay of Fundy tour offered by the ship there, so will already be visiting a fishing village / doing a little walk on the ocean floor.

In Halifx on our own we plan to visit the Maritime museum, and due to our great interest in Titanic history are planning on doing the Grayline Titanic cemetary tour. And then we'll just look around on our own with other time. Other tours I saw that do the Titanic cemetary do way more things too like Peggy's Cove, etc.and are serveral hours in length. Having done a fishing village tour, etc. for about three hours the previous day, we are really just interested in a Titanic graveyard tour.

I'd love to hear from anyone else has done any Grayline tours in Halifax (Titanic cemetary or other) and what they thought?? In general I know Grayline has a good reputation and is also for here the only place I found online that offers a tour that is just the Titanic cemetary. It sounds as if Grayline caters more to people visiting Halifax vs. cruise passangers (pick up people at hotels), but it would be easy for us to meet them by the Maritime museum.

We rented a car at train station just accross the street from where Princess docks and drove out to Peggy's Cove for the day. On the way back into town we stopped at Fairview Cemetery to see the Titanic graves. Click on

for a video showing our excursion. The first part of the video was made in St. Johns, Newfoundland.

I highly recommend going to Peggy's Cove. It is a very picturesque place. The cemetery was interesting as well.

Ron

Did you reserve the rental car before arrival in Halifax? What rental car company is it?

We reserved the car in advance via National Car Rental's website. Select the Halifax “Cruise Ship/via Rail (YHZP06)” for the pickup location. The physical address is 1161 Hollis Street, Halifax, NS B3H2P6. The car rental counter is located in the train station directly across the street from the port of Halifax pier where Princess ships dock.

Have a great time on your cruise.

Ron

We reserved the car in advance via National Car Rental's website. Select the Halifax “Cruise Ship/via Rail (YHZP06)” for the pickup location. The physical address is 1161 Hollis Street, Halifax, NS B3H2P6. The car rental counter is located in the train station directly across the street from the port of Halifax pier where Princess ships dock.

Have a great time on your cruise.

Ron

Thanks so much - great information!

Is Fairview Cemetery on the way back from Peggy's Cove? This is exactly the route we are planning too.

Thanks so much - great information!

Is Fairview Cemetery on the way back from Peggy's Cove? This is exactly the route we are planning too.

Fairview Lawn Cemetery is located at the north end of Windsor Street in the northern portion of Halifax. It is not very far from the train station where you will rent the car. I suggest renting a car with GPS and let it do the navigating for you. You won’t have any problems finding Peggy’s Cove or the cemetery.

Here is some additional information about the Titanic Graves: http://www.titanic-whitestarships.com/Halifax.htm.

Ron

We just visited Halifax on our transatlantic back to FLL. We booked our tour through the ship as we didn't decide until too late to sightsee. We went out to Peggy's Cove and then did a stop at the Titanic Cemetery (there are actually 3 cemeteries in Halifax where Titanic passengers are buried. We visited the Fairview Lawn Cemetery where the most passengers are buried but also went by the Catholic and Jewish cemeteries. It was a very moving experience to see all those graves. You wouldn't need that much time there as everyone is buried in the same place. You can just walk up and down the rows and read the headstones, etc. We were there about 1/2 hr. w/ the tour guide.

There were quite a few taxis driving into the cemetery and letting people out to view the graves. You could easily do this on your own. You would need transportation as it's a distance from the port.

Peggy's Cove is a beautiful place to see. Very scenic. We bought lobster rolls and sat at a picnic table and had our lunch w/ fantastic views of the water. Weather was great that day. So you could do both places in a day and have plenty of time.

I would really suggest that you see if anyone has an organized private tour for your day in Halifax and join that group or start your own. Check out the taxi website the previous poster has given you. The bus we rode on was hotter than Hades and the a/c did not work (if there was any on the bus!). We complained and complained but the tour guide and driver didn't hear us. Just my thoughts.....

• 5 months later...

Hi Kathy,

Although renting a car may be a great option, having a guided tour will give you a much better overview of Peggy's Cove, the Fairview Lawn Cemetary (Titanic victims final resting place) or any other spot. If you were looking for the Cemetary, I would highly suggest a guided tour. Gray Line does offer a Titanic tour that I hear is quite good and I also know that the ships offer tours as well.

We did a HAL tour of Maritime Museum and Fairview Lawn Cemetary as well as 'drive around' Halifax giving us a lot of commentary of history, diversity of the population, description of the Great Explosion. We really enjoyed it and learned far more than we expected. We are in Halifax at least twice each summer and really enjoy that city and her people.... not to mention lobster lunch. :)

Archived