Checking Booster Seats onto plane

Sunshine101

Hi all!

When checking in at the airport and bringing your kids booster seats for the car, do you just bring them loose up to the check in counter at the airport, or should I put them in a bag of some sort and then tell them they are car seats and they will check them like that? Or, do they give you a big bag or something at the counter to put the seats in? Not sure how to do this?

What kind of booster seats? It is not really recommended to check any sort of child restraint as you have no idea how it is being handled behind the scenes and what damage is done. There are many videos of car seats being thrown or kicked down stairs while under the care of baggage handlers (a quick you tube search will find plenty.) If I am traveling with an airline approved child seat, I bring it on board with us and use it in the airplane seat. If I am traveling with a backless booster I also bring it on board and just put it overhead. I have avoided traveling with a high back booster for this exact reason.

What kind of booster seats? It is not really recommended to check any sort of child restraint as you have no idea how it is being handled behind the scenes and what damage is done. There are many videos of car seats being thrown or kicked down stairs while under the care of baggage handlers (a quick you tube search will find plenty.) If I am traveling with an airline approved child seat, I bring it on board with us and use it in the airplane seat. If I am traveling with a backless booster I also bring it on board and just put it overhead. I have avoided traveling with a high back booster for this exact reason.

Ditto. DS1 travels with his low-back booster in a duffel bag for this exact reason, and I've yet to find an airline employee argue this one with me. Even on the over-booked, weather delayed leg from Orlando to Philadelphia at Christmas last year no one asked me to check the booster seat. That speaks volumes to me.

DS2 still uses his Marathon on board, although this will be his last one in the car seat (woo hoo!).

Yes, you should have no trouble with a low back booster in the overhead compartment. I don't know if they would help accomodate a high back booster but remember, high back boosters are much safer so if your child still needs a high back booster, please try to get it on the plane so they can travel safely once you reach your destination. I have read that they will occasionally count boosters against you as a personal item. But they are MUCH safer than being checked. I've twice seen parts of booster seats come out on the baggage carousel and would avoid checking child restraints if at all possible.

We didn't fly when our girl was of the booster age, but for carrying around her seat, my hubby found a study duffel bag. We would dissemble it and tie the pieces together with rope and insert it into the bag. We did this with train travel and cruises. If using a taxi to get to a hotel, out comes the package and we reassemble.

when we take the booster seat, we usually just put him in it if there is limited space for the other things overhead. That way we know where his seat is at all times. it also helps him see out the window and keeps him seated and buckled.

in the past when we had to check a large car seat or larger stroller, we carried a large heavy duty trash bag with us to wrap the stroller in and one for the car seat. Some airlines do give you a bag. But I would always bring one just in case.

when we take the booster seat, we usually just put him in it if there is limited space for the other things overhead. That way we know where his seat is at all times. it also helps him see out the window and keeps him seated and buckled.

in the past when we had to check a large car seat or larger stroller, we carried a large heavy duty trash bag with us to wrap the stroller in and one for the car seat. Some airlines do give you a bag. But I would always bring one just in case.

Technically you cannot use a booster seat on an aircraft. I can see how some airline staff would allow you to use it to save space, but you should know that since it is a shoulder belt positioning device, it serves no purpose when used with an aircraft (i.e. 2 point) seatbelt.

FYI there are low-back boosters with belt positioners, which allow much more flexibility and adjustment versus those that do not have the belt positioner. You give up the lateral head protection, but at least in Canada this is not part of the safety standard collision testing.

We always check our carseats in carseat travel bags we bought at babies r us. The bags have taken a beating but the car seats come out in good shape. Whe also check our BOB duallie stroller. We took it through security once, but it became to much of a hassle so now we just check all of it.

Isn't traveling with kids so much fun!!!!

Wow! You travel with your BOB Duallie?!? I love ours at home, but am too nervous to travel with it d/t the size and amount of $$ we shelled out for it! We typically just bring our single BOB and Ergo to get through the airport. It sounds like you check it as baggage (as opposed to gait check), do you put it into some sort of huge bag or something? Have you done it often, ever have any damage? Sorry for all the questions, just very curious/inspired:)

The FAA has banned the use of booster seats on airplanes. I'm not sure how you were able to use one, but no one should count on being able to do this.

We have traveled twice with our Duallie in since April. Once was cross country and once from Boston to Charlotte with nothing happening either time. The first time we gate checked the stroller and the second time we checked it at the ticket counter instead of lugging it around. We are flying to Orlando for visit to Disney in December and it will be coming with us on a third flight!

We worry something might happen to the stroller, but it is like luggage you never know and have no control over what might happen after you loose sight of it!

We always take our booster (and carseats in the past) & put it in the overhead. While I am concerned about damage, my bigger concern is if it gets lost (which occasionally happens to checked luggage) then I am really stuck. I can live with getting my luggage the next day; but would never risk the safety of my child in a vehicle without her carseat or booster.

Archived