Southampton train assistance please

Milaandra

Hello,

I found a train that will take us to our new home with only one transfer and that transfer is not in London. So far, so good!

The downside is that it leaves at 8:15, which sounds a bit tight to me.

If we self-disembark, are we likely to be off the ship in time to make that? I understand the station is only 10 minutes away by taxi or unilink.

If we prepay the tickets and miss the train, have we lost our money or are they good for another train? (there is another at 10:15, but I'd love to get in earlier if possible)

Do we need to prepay the tickets? Is it likely to sell out or are the fares likely to increase?

We are arriving October 14.

Thank you!

First, I would say that you should check with smithsforairports.com IF you're going anywhere in the London area and certainly, anywhere on the west side of London. We used them to and from LHR with a bill of around 75£ for 2 people.

As to disembarking, if you use "self help", you should be able to get off the ship as early as 7AM or very shortly after. Meet in the Queen's Room and you be good to go when the self help signal is given.

I don't have any idea as to what it cost on the train, but you'll have to get a cab from the port to the station. When we got off in July (around 7:30), I didn't see any cabs, but then again I wasn't looking for one as Smiths was waiting for me and we were on the road to LHR in a couple of minutes.

If you self-disembark, you can get off the ship by 7:00 - 7:15 am, no problem. By latest 7:30 am, you should be out of the pier terminal, and there should be plenty of taxis waiting at the pier side. The taxi ride to train is no more than 10 minutes, about 5 - 7 pounds sterling. Plenty of time for your 8:15 am train.

As to prepay for train, I can't answer that, but usually easy to purchase tickets at train station and get on the train at that hour.

Hi,

My I urge you to factor in to your schedule, that you are travelling during the rush hour.

Southampton is a busy city and the traffic can be slow, depending upon the weather.

I am a keen supporter of the railways but the service is likely to be busy at this time with commuters and schoolchildren.

I am a keen supporter of the railways but the service is likely to be busy at this time with commuters and schoolchildren.

And these trains (unlike the longer range Inter City ones) are generally not equipped with much luggage space - you might be better going later on a post-rush hour train....

Hi

I urge you to try for the later train and remove the stress and worry of EVERYTHING going to plan, QM2 arrival on time, no holdups in the terminal, enough taxis waiting for the numbers self-disembarking, no traffic jams, finding the right platform (with cases) at the station, boarding the train with cases, the crush of the rush hour at Southampton Station is something to see. etc, etc...

The slightest hitch and... :eek:

Far better to relax and go clock-watching free.

And you'll get breakfast on board :) (have you seen the lack of catering on trains?)

This close to the date there won't be much of a saving (by comparison with the overall cost of your trip) over the "turn up and go" fare by pre-paying for the rail tickets, unless you're making a really long journey. Two months in advance will get you real savings.

Unless you've really GOT to be somewhere at a certain time why ruin the end of your relaxing crossing with self-inflicted stress?

Well, that's my thoughts anyway. I get on QM2 as you get off, have a wonderful crossing, Bon Voyage!

This close to the date there won't be much of a saving (by comparison with the overall cost of your trip) over the "turn up and go" fare by pre-paying for the rail tickets, unless you're making a really long journey. Two months in advance will get you real savings.

Does just outside Edinburgh count as a really long journey? I suppose it does, although it takes less time than the train to NYC for embarkation.

If it is an anytime ticket, does that literally mean we can use it throughout the day? I'm not familiar with the different terms for rail travel in the UK. Until this point, we have only taken one short train ride from London to Hampton Court and that was 8 years ago.

I could kick myself for not having made these arrangements already. It's a relocation, and this part of the journey got lost in the morass of details.

My Scottish genetics are protesting at paying twice what I need to in order to avoid a London tube ride with luggage...it will be worse if we pay higher on the day. :) You should have seen me last night trying to figure out how to qualify for a flexible railpass... :D

Does just outside Edinburgh count as a really long journey?

Hi

Yes, from the south coast to Scotland counts as a long journey, presumably you've been looking at "Cross Country Trains". The fare could be considerably cheaper for such a distance even this close, the "turn up and go" ticket bought at the station on the day will be eye-wateringly expensive (£606 First Class Open Ticket). Look at their website for prices or the National Rail website.

If it is an anytime ticket, does that literally mean we can use it throughout the day?
Yes, an "open" or "anytime" ticket means that. On the day shown on the ticket you can use any train on a specified route. They are much more expensive than a ticket tied to a certain time of train.
My Scottish genetics are protesting at paying twice what I need to in order to avoid a London tube ride with luggage...
Then don't use the tube, get a cab from Waterloo to Kings Cross. However, better to have at most two trains to your destination. Let us know what you decide to do, Bon Voyage!

As I'm not sure what your precise final destination is; I shall for information purposes assume it is Edinburgh Waverley. There is a Cross-country train direct to York departing Southampton at 09:46. York is a very easy station for making connections even with luggage. There are two sets of tunnels and lifts for each platform. From York there is a Cross-country train departing for Edinburgh at 15:32. National Rail's Website can be a bit quirky and it refuses to show me this as a connection with a through fare. However, you can book the first segment to York at an advance fare as low as ₤27.50 and the connecting train for Edinburgh (for example) for ₤40.

As with VIA Rail here in Canada, these rock-bottom cheapest fares must be used for the specific train and will have no value if you miss the train. I have used “self help” disembarkation from the QM2 and taken the direct train to York (it was a different time then) and we had plenty of time to spare at the station. We could have taken an earlier train and changed at Birmingham, but that station is not recommended for changes. If you splurge on first class, Cross-country will provide not only large seats but hot sandwiches and an endless stream of snacks and non-alcoholic beverages. We always travel throughout Britain with a first-class Britrail pass so we can take any train. If you are doing any other train travel, it might be worth looking into the various pass options.

Brilliant! Booked! It's a nice route and an incredible price.

We're actually heading to Dunbar, so it's a little closer than Edinburgh.

I can't help thinking that it's funny that another Ontarian came up with that, though! You go often? We thought York was fascinating when we were there. It was a tour, so we didn't get to explore as much as we would have liked, but now that we'll be living so close, we'll have lots of opportunity for daytrips.

Brilliant! Booked! It's a nice route and an incredible price.

We're actually heading to Dunbar, so it's a little closer than Edinburgh.

I can't help thinking that it's funny that another Ontarian came up with that, though! You go often? We thought York was fascinating when we were there. It was a tour, so we didn't get to explore as much as we would have liked, but now that we'll be living so close, we'll have lots of opportunity for daytrips.

So glad to hear you got that train booked. I've taken that route, and if David hadn't already posted, it's what I would have suggested. I love taking the train in England, but it seems crazy that a country of that size should have something like two dozen different train companies (not counting historic/restoration railways). Oh, for the days of BritRail, when it was all one company!!! The Southampton to York train has incredibly low advance fares. But the line that runs from Southampton to London has no advance fares. The fare is the fare is the fare. Crazy.

If you have time, take a quick look around the Southampton station. There are some lovely tiles of ships with Cunard red stacks.

I hope you enjoy living in the UK!

Not quite true about advanced fares.

As we locals never tire of pointing out, the fares to London on the Megatrain (see their website) can be as low as £2 per person for an off peak service.

Of course there are terms and conditions but if you are flexible and plan well ahead they are killer prices.

Not quite true about advanced fares.

As we locals never tire of pointing out, the fares to London on the Megatrain (see their website) can be as low as £2 per person for an off peak service.

Of course there are terms and conditions but if you are flexible and plan well ahead they are killer prices.

They sure are, but they are not posted by the train company, and can be purchased only from the Mega site. It has been a number of years since I used the Megatrain connection from London to Soton. At the time, the site would not take credit cards from a bank outside the UK, so these great fares weren't available to someone in the US. Fortunately, I have an obliging English cousin who did my booking for me, and I got the 2-pound fare. I would hope that by now the Mega people have sorted that out so that anyone can take advantage of the good prices.

I urge you to try for the later train and remove the stress and worry of EVERYTHING going to plan, QM2 arrival on time, no holdups in the terminal, enough taxis waiting for the numbers self-disembarking, no traffic jams, finding the right platform (with cases) at the station, boarding the train with cases, the crush of the rush hour at Southampton Station is something to see. etc, etc...

The slightest hitch and... :eek:

Far better to relax and go clock-watching free.

So true. I recently had to be at a business meeting in Newcastle at 10.15am arriving back from the Maiden Round Britain which involved a taxi at either end and flying Southampton to Newcastle. We hit the tail end of the hurricane, my flight was delayed and very bumpy take off & landing. I made the meeting by 10.45am but the last couple of days of my relaxing holiday were filled with a sense of worry about all the times. Mr H's last couple of days were spent worrying how he was going to get home with my luggage as well as his own. Never again...

MrsH

In the Spring we plan to disembark in Southhampton and then train our way to Paris. We are assuming that we will train to London, and change trains. Any hints on how to best make this happen will be greatly appreciated.

Once upon a time, this would have been easy, as the Soton trains and Eurostar both used Waterloo Station. Now Eurostar uses a station across the city (St Pancras, which I always want to call St Pancreas), so you'll need to take a taxi across London.

You'll have to look at the schedules for Eurostar and the Soton-London trains to see how they mesh. Are you planning to do the trip all in the same day, or spend some time in London? If you're doing the trip in one day, allow plenty of time to get across London. Traffic usually moves at a crawl.

Also take a look at Megatrain for the Soton-London part of your trip. They offer cheap prices, but on a limited number of trains. It's the regular train, but Mega has a deal to sell cheaper tickets on it.

Archived