QM2 Transatlantic, help with port or starboard

Little London

Next June we are sailing (have yet to book) transatlantic west bound, and I am sure I have read somewhere on these boards which is the best side to be, can anybody help? I also have a couple of other questions but will ask them at a later date. Thank you.

We have been on the QM2 twice westbound. It did not matter to us which side but we were on the port side.

Sailaway party from S'hampton was on an outside deck on the same deck as the Todd English rest. so you can see both sides of the ship.

Then you have the same view - water - on both sides.

Approaching NYC, it is scenic from both sides but the main attraction is the Statue of Liberty and the ship swings around so both sides do get to see it.

We loved our time on the QM2 and would go anytime, MaryA

Next June we are sailing (have yet to book) transatlantic west bound, and I am sure I have read somewhere on these boards which is the best side to be, can anybody help? I also have a couple of other questions but will ask them at a later date. Thank you.

Port side westbound for the sun (if you're lucky, I had 4 days of fog westbound in May this year).

Book it! and then fire away with the questions :) . There are photos of QM2 interiors and cabins via the link below. Bon Voyage!

It really doesn't matter, unless you intend to stay cooped up in your cabin all day.

The sailaway takes place outside (weather permitting) and on the approach to NYC, like most other nutcases like me, you'll be up on deck long before 0600 hrs, and long before breakfast.

They've stopped the commentary going into NYC as apparently, some people were complaining about being disturbed so early.

Stewart

It really does matter what side your room is on if you spring for a balcony. The difference between being able to use your balcony or not could depend on which side it's on. At the same time being on one side of the ship or the other could mean having a sunny and warm area to use or a shady and not so warm environment. From England to the States, I would get a port side room.

Port side westbound for the sun (if you're lucky, I had 4 days of fog westbound in May this year).

Book it! and then fire away with the questions :) . There are photos of QM2 interiors and cabins via the link below. Bon Voyage!

pepperrn, would you have a similar website for Queen Victoria? Would much appreciate. Thank you.:)

pepperrn, would you have a similar website for Queen Victoria? Would much appreciate. Thank you.:)

Hi ombrelle

Thanks for asking! As well as many pictures of QM2, there are photos of almost all of QV's public rooms, many pictures taken out on deck, and photos taken whilst on a cruise, via the same link, just below (there are also similar pictures of QE2. Photos of QE will follow next year).

Hope they help, Bon Voyage! :)

Hi ombrelle

Thanks for asking! As well as many pictures of QM2, there are photos of almost all of QV's public rooms, many pictures taken out on deck, and photos taken whilst on a cruise, via the same link, just below (there are also similar pictures of QE2. Photos of QE will follow next year).

Hope they help, Bon Voyage! :)

Thanks,pepperrn:)

If you would like to see the QV--QM2 and the QE please feel free to view my photo,s

There rather alot and they do show all rooms, however there are also filled with friends and events rather than just empty rooms, it may give you an idea of what to expect.

I would say that I have been lucky enouth to have sailed on QM2 1 times, QV 3 times and the new QE only once, almost all long voyages, the QE is really the most beautiful ship I have sailed on, qm2 the grandest, QV is almost a wonderful ship, you may see RCl , NCL and P&O on there as well.

http://community.webshots.com/user/rob685211

Thank you all so much for the answers, - We will book Port Side and hope for some good weather:)

Good choice. I hope you get good weather. Nothing beats a sunny day, having coffee (or tea if it's your preference) on your balcony in the middle of the ocean!

283280795_watersmall.JPG.9585b324a0dfb680c9091f7c771214f5.JPG

Little London - On some days on the ocean many people go to Deck 12 for sunshine under the closed class ceiling. No wind, sunny, warm, and two hot tubs at 100+ degrees. Absolutely glorious under the glass. Imagine a sunburn at 29 knots midway between New York and Southampton? It happens. We did the Atlantic last month in both directions.

http://awesome.webplus.net/theqm2/

Jack Morris

It really is quite important to get the "right" side if you have a balcony....we were port side on our WB TA,and starboard on EB. Made all the difference...sitting on balcony in the sun,or in shade with a stiff,cold wind...

In the first transatlantic crossings in the early 20th Century, the word POSH was invented for the wealthy travellers who had first choice of the cabins. It came from the saying ..... Port Out, Starboard Home.

If you search around for this explanation you will find that it's pretty much a load of old nonsense - it's called a Backronym. i.e. where people make up a saying to fit the word that already exists.

It's like the word "Chav" - Council House And Violent, for example.

If you search around for this explanation you will find that it's pretty much a load of old nonsense - it's called a Backronym. i.e. where people make up a saying to fit the word that already exists.

And further to this, it is supposed to refer to P&O's (and others) ships from the UK to India, where cabins on the nothern (cooler) side of the (un-air-conditioned) vessel were highly sought after, not the North Atlantic ferry.

As you say, it's a load of nonsense.

When ships only had small cabin portholes (to look out on the Atlantic fog) it made no difference which side of the ship you booked on a crossing.

But this subject, like so many others, will run and run...

Little London - On some days on the ocean many people go to Deck 12 for sunshine under the closed class ceiling. No wind, sunny, warm, and two hot tubs at 100+ degrees. Absolutely glorious under the glass. Imagine a sunburn at 29 knots midway between New York and Southampton? It happens. We did the Atlantic last month in both directions.

http://awesome.webplus.net/theqm2/

Jack Morris

It is the only way to do it really, B2B, I wont do it now any other way, we have had hot sun, fog, rain and 2009 a force 11+ all were wonderful, didnt get a suntan though.have to say a served cream tea on deck 7 mid atlanic it a great way have afternoon tea, a little slow maybe , but great to do

Archived