bargin shopping in Auckland

http://www.victoria-park-market.co.nz/

I know that we have some wonderfully helpful Kiwis on this forum so could you please tell us if we can purchase some bargin nick-nack souvenirs... nothing too expensive for the grandies etc.

We've found the Victoria park market and wonder if there are any discount stores there which sells these types of items. If so, how easy is it to get there (does the Free city circuit bus go past?) or where else could we go

Thanks in advance

B&B

A few decades ago Victoria Park Market was a great place to go for souvenirs and cheap nick-nacks. However, sadly, as the years passed the stalls shut and the place became a bit of a ghost town. Eventually, a few years ago, they shut down altogether.

Developers bought the place and are doing it up. Last I heard it is going to become a small shopping and restaurant district, due to open the end of this year or early next. Until it actually does open, I'm not sure people will be able to give you too much advice on what it's like.

To get there it would be a cheap taxi (it should be less than $10). Or if you were really eager, you could walk there in under half an hour.

A few decades ago Victoria Park Market was a great place to go for souvenirs and cheap nick-nacks. However, sadly, as the years passed the stalls shut and the place became a bit of a ghost town. Eventually, a few years ago, they shut down altogether.

Developers bought the place and are doing it up. Last I heard it is going to become a small shopping and restaurant district, due to open the end of this year or early next. Until it actually does open, I'm not sure people will be able to give you too much advice on what it's like.

To get there it would be a cheap taxi (it should be less than $10). Or if you were really eager, you could walk there in under half an hour.

Just looking at what they have done there, I dont think its going to be a bargain market place. Looks very upmarket to me , which means vendors will face high rents, which means there wont be too many bargains on offer.:eek:

David, what is that shopping centre not far from the wharf called, please? There are all kinds of shops there - in fact we got no further than that last time (after we did a north shore tour). DH bought a great pair of earphones from the "Sam's Warehouse type of shop" there. There were souvenir shops there.

David, what is that shopping centre not far from the wharf called, please? There are all kinds of shops there - in fact we got no further than that last time (after we did a north shore tour). DH bought a great pair of earphones from the "Sam's Warehouse type of shop" there. There were souvenir shops there.

That sounds like the Downtown Shopping Centre.I think it may be a Westfield Mall now. Its just over the road from Princes Wharf. You cant miss it as you will see an overroad walkway leading onto the first floor from a car parking building.Its like most malls, no shops on the street side, except a wine shop that is very handy:D, so you have to go inside to find all the shops. I think there are about 3 levels of shopping.

Lots of good stores in there. The NZ discount shop you may be talking about is just called "The Warehouse"...lots of bargains in all departments.

Just looking at what they have done there, I dont think its going to be a bargain market place. Looks very upmarket to me , which means vendors will face high rents, which means there wont be too many bargains on offer.:eek:

I agree. It looks like it will be more boutique-like than market-like.

I hope it works out for the developers. It was quite sad watching the gradual demise of Vic Park Market.

Downtown Westfield has a large NZ souvenir shop little expensive for this Kiwi.

But I found a small variety shop, sorry I can't remember the name, on the ground floor its just a small shop.

I purchased some great priced NZ souvenirs, coffee mugs, lanyards,pens pencil cases,rulers,cards,key rings,mini backpacks,magnets.

If you are travelling around NZ keep an eye out for cheap variety shops as most of them have a NZ range of souvenirs which are great for small pressies to take back at a reasonable price.

Enjoy

If you are travelling around NZ keep an eye out for cheap variety shops as most of them have a NZ range of souvenirs which are great for small pressies to take back at a reasonable price.

Enjoy

Too true. Good tip.

I don't even live in a touristy town, but the $2 style shops here have lots of NZ themed stuff.

I love the shops in Queen St, but I also like to get on the train to the Sylvia Park shopping centre. About a 20min train ride directly there. The stop is called Sylvia Park, and cost is under $5 each way. If you have a car, the north shore is good too.

Jen

I go there every time I visit Auckland, but like you hadn't thought of it re cruise passengers. It is only a very short walk from the station to the shops. Easy to spend the day there...LOL...I spend too much as well, but for a good cause, me! Pretty sure it is only 15 to 20 mins from Britomart.

Jen

Sylvia Park is easy to get to on the train.

Dont forget good old St Lukes...I believe thats a huge shopping centre now. Not sure how to get there by bus, but its only a short taxi ride from the CBD- via the NW motorway , and off at Western Springs.:D

By the way , the leases for Victoria Park Market were advertised in the weekend paper. What they have done is looking very nice indeed,but its going to be pricey:eek:

Guess its aimed at all the trendy folks in Ponsonby:rolleyes:

Archived