Live from the Spirit

margbem

From the Seabourn Spirit in Croatia

We checked in at San Basilio after taking a land taxi from Piazzale Roma. We were alittle before 2pm so there was no line - straight on board where we were

given our room cards etc then to our suite 111. Everything clean, sparkling, as we expected. Met our room stewardess, Carla from Chile, who is new to Seabourn (just

3 days in!) She's OK - still learning the ropes but we only have to ask her if she's forgotten something and we get it.

Sailaway was spectacular - Bellinis, opera and Venice in the setting sun. Who could ask for more?

First night dinner was excellent with a couple of good wines - contrary to expectations! The first time we've ever eaten on a table for 2. maybe because we were late arriving (about 8.15) but we enjoyed watching everyone and speculating on our fellow travellers!

Saturday was Ravenna, Italy. A shuttle ran from the port - about 25 minutes so it would have been a long walk! Ravenna has some amazing mosaics in various churches and mausoleums. We were totally awed by them and had a fabulous day. Evening was formal optional dress and a lot of men wore tuxes so we were glad we'd taken one too. We dined with the Staff Captain on a table made up of all British people and we all got on very well. Dinner was excellent again and my request for a glass of sweet wine to accompany the foie gras was met with a smile and a 'certainly, Madam'.

Sunday was marina day and also tenders ran to the small island in Triluke Bay which was well worth a visit. It has a lovely walk around the headland and we swam in the crystal clear sea. We kayaked and swam and went on a pedaloe from the back of the ship - great fun. We dined in Restaurant 2 in the evening because it was Tasting Night. The menu was superb and we treated ourselves to a special bottle of Riesling from the additional wine list.

Today we have been on a wine tasting excursion from Korcula. It was quite a long drive to get to the first winery, where the wines were interesting!! We bought a bottle of liqueur then moved on to 2 more wineries where the wines were not as good. We had lunch at the last one which was excellent and we were served their own wines with our meal. On arriving back we wandered the very pretty town of Korcula then had a swim.

Tonight we dine with the Seabourn Club representative and it is the chef's tasting dinner.

I will try to do another report later on in the week and answer any queries anyone might have.

To address afew issues which have been mentioned on CC: the onboard deposit for future cruises is $250 PER PERSON; the wines have fallen in quality slightly but if you ask for something else it will be served - I like New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc and it is very nice so I ask for that at dinner. Champagne is flowing freely but it is a little sharp - it is Nicholas Feuillatte but not very good. I actually prefer the Prosecco! We have had no problems with shower gel, shampoo etc. It has been restocked well before it has run out! :)

• 2 weeks later...

we are now excited we are on the 28th October cruise, thanks for sharing

From the Seabourn Spirit in Croatia

We checked in at San Basilio after taking a land taxi from Piazzale Roma. We were alittle before 2pm so there was no line - straight on board where we were

given our room cards etc then to our suite 111. Everything clean, sparkling, as we expected. Met our room stewardess, Carla from Chile, who is new to Seabourn (just

3 days in!) She's OK - still learning the ropes but we only have to ask her if she's forgotten something and we get it.

Sailaway was spectacular - Bellinis, opera and Venice in the setting sun. Who could ask for more?

First night dinner was excellent with a couple of good wines - contrary to expectations! The first time we've ever eaten on a table for 2. maybe because we were late arriving (about 8.15) but we enjoyed watching everyone and speculating on our fellow travellers!

Saturday was Ravenna, Italy. A shuttle ran from the port - about 25 minutes so it would have been a long walk! Ravenna has some amazing mosaics in various churches and mausoleums. We were totally awed by them and had a fabulous day. Evening was formal optional dress and a lot of men wore tuxes so we were glad we'd taken one too. We dined with the Staff Captain on a table made up of all British people and we all got on very well. Dinner was excellent again and my request for a glass of sweet wine to accompany the foie gras was met with a smile and a 'certainly, Madam'.

Sunday was marina day and also tenders ran to the small island in Triluke Bay which was well worth a visit. It has a lovely walk around the headland and we swam in the crystal clear sea. We kayaked and swam and went on a pedaloe from the back of the ship - great fun. We dined in Restaurant 2 in the evening because it was Tasting Night. The menu was superb and we treated ourselves to a special bottle of Riesling from the additional wine list.

Today we have been on a wine tasting excursion from Korcula. It was quite a long drive to get to the first winery, where the wines were interesting!! We bought a bottle of liqueur then moved on to 2 more wineries where the wines were not as good. We had lunch at the last one which was excellent and we were served their own wines with our meal. On arriving back we wandered the very pretty town of Korcula then had a swim.

Tonight we dine with the Seabourn Club representative and it is the chef's tasting dinner.

I will try to do another report later on in the week and answer any queries anyone might have.

To address afew issues which have been mentioned on CC: the onboard deposit for future cruises is $250 PER PERSON; the wines have fallen in quality slightly but if you ask for something else it will be served - I like New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc and it is very nice so I ask for that at dinner. Champagne is flowing freely but it is a little sharp - it is Nicholas Feuillatte but not very good. I actually prefer the Prosecco! We have had no problems with shower gel, shampoo etc. It has been restocked well before it has run out! :)

Have a look on www.intellicast.com where you type in your place of interest and can get a 10 day forecast. I found it very accurate!

If you want a quiet spot to read and sunbathe, head for deck 5's whirlpool area. There is a coolbox there with drinks and glasses so help yourself.

If you would like to eat at hosted tables in the restaurant but don't get an invite just tell the front desk and they will ensure you get one/some. Similarly if you get an invite but want to dine alone or with friends then just let them know - you will still get another invite later if you want one. We find this a really nice way to meet fellow travellers.

There is a laundrette on deck 4 at the front of the ship with 2 washers and dryers and powder for anyone's use.

A lot of men on our cruise wore tuxes on formal optional night so you won't be out of place if you feel like dressing up.

Can't think of anything else to tell you, but ask any questions you think of and someone will be happy to answer!

Have a look on www.intellicast.com where you type in your place of interest and can get a 10 day forecast. I found it very accurate!

If you want a quiet spot to read and sunbathe, head for deck 5's whirlpool area. There is a coolbox there with drinks and glasses so help yourself.

If you would like to eat at hosted tables in the restaurant but don't get an invite just tell the front desk and they will ensure you get one/some. Similarly if you get an invite but want to dine alone or with friends then just let them know - you will still get another invite later if you want one. We find this a really nice way to meet fellow travellers.

There is a laundrette on deck 4 at the front of the ship with 2 washers and dryers and powder for anyone's use.

A lot of men on our cruise wore tuxes on formal optional night so you won't be out of place if you feel like dressing up.

Can't think of anything else to tell you, but ask any questions you think of and someone will be happy to answer!

A question regarding dining, how does this work, do you show up and they seat you? Can you have a table for two or do they seat you with other people? Sorry if this may be an odd question, just not sure how it works with Seabourn.

One of the (to me) best aspects of Seabourn is that you will be asked as you arrive at the dining room if you wish to join others or not - you can take pot luck, or arrive with people you have already met and sit together at a 4, 6 or even 8, or say you would like a table for two, and if you arrive fairly early, or leave it until the first twos have left about 8.15 or 8.30 will have no problem getting one. Entirely up to you. Also, you are likely to be invited to a hosted table, occasionally, with a staff member or officer, and a group of others. This is great if you want to meet people and maybe find friends.

So much nicer than being at a set table each evening. If you find wait staff you like, you can ask to have a table with ?? and get to know them and they you.

There is a Bose music system in the room which I am sure is a docking station, or if not, then a system that you can connect to your i pod as that is what my husband did for us to listen to music. If you take a cable to be on the safe side. Soory to not be more certain but I'm a techno numpty - just listen to the radio!!

Do you happen to know who the CD might be in December? Sailing 9/12 through the Canal. Thanks!

Sorry - didn't think to ask how long staff were on for. We weren't impressed with the CD at all - sorry to everyone who likes him!

Don't know who the Capt will be either.

I'm sure someone will know the answers.

Enjoy the Canal - it's something I would love to do.

Archived