snorkeling with child(ren) (beginners)

Almost Packed

We will be in Cozumel and Progresso in February and will have ds-7years old with us then. He will have just turned 7.

He is a beginner swimmer, recently late this summer feeling comfy in the water and going under etc.

I was hoping to find somewhere that we could snorkel with him to show him how pretty the ocean is and give him an idea of what's below. This will be his first cruise.

Any suggestions/tips about snorkeling with a beginner child and where to go. We did buy him his own mask and snorkel. I don't mind doing a tour or going on our own.

Thanks in advance.

Let him practice in a pool, or even in the bath tub with the snorkel and mask. He'll have a better experience if the mask doesn't leak, and if he is comfortable breathing in the water with the snorkel. We will be snorkeling in Chankanaab. I'll come back and let you know what the snorkeling was like, but here is a thread that has pictures and info.:) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1475020&page=2

My son's first snorkeling was at 5 or 6. He wore a floatie suit and we held hands as we swam along (with me providing the forward motion with my fins). The main thing is to keep them calm and still. so that they relax their breathing and just enjoy the view.

When he needed to clear his snorkel he would just support himself on my back or I would lift him up.

Flts2_sm.jpg

I'll come back and let you know what the snorkeling was like, but here is a thread that has pictures and info.:) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1475020&page=2

:D

I will post my review of Chankanaab here for you to read. We just got back last month from going to Chank (BEAUTIFUL PLACE!!!) and even though it wasn't your normal walk right in from the beach type of place, it was easy enough for our 3 1/2 year old to go with us. We wasn't sure how she was going to react with snorkeling this year and especially with "salt water" (taste) and she really amazed us!! We figured we would have to take turns going out to snorkel while the other watched her back at the beach...NOPE. She went out there with us and swam right beside us the entire time watching the fish. Granted she does have her own mask and has put it on and dipped her head under to see the fish, but she was just as happy watching them from above the water as well. She had a blast! I was so proud of her.

A picture of her swimming with us:

IMG5707-S.jpg

And for a REALLY GOOD LAUGH...check this one out of her and a huge fish checking each other out...real up close and personal LOL

IMG5714-M.jpg

And my favorite video yet of her watching the fish and laughing because they tickled her legs....

My review of Chankanaab:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30683350&postcount=59

Mitsugirly, we have been working with our son who is 5 but will be 6 when we go on our cruise in Feb in our pool over the summer. He seems to have a great grasp of it but the saltwater may be the issue. But watching how well your daughter was doing I am really excited now for him and I think that he will do great. He will love all of those fish swimming around him... :D

We are also going to Chankanaab and I love the pictures and video. Looks like a fantastic place and that I made the right choice for excursion...

Mitsugirly, we have been working with our son who is 5 but will be 6 when we go on our cruise in Feb in our pool over the summer. He seems to have a great grasp of it but the saltwater may be the issue. But watching how well your daughter was doing I am really excited now for him and I think that he will do great. He will love all of those fish swimming around him... :D

We are also going to Chankanaab and I love the pictures and video. Looks like a fantastic place and that I made the right choice for excursion...

I can't wait to hear how he did. We did notice that some places (I know this sounds weird) seem "saltier" than other places. I'm not sure why.

However, being in the pool on the ship (salt water) got her use to it prior to arriving at the port and snorkeling. The look on her face the first time she got a gulp of it (in the pool) was hilarious. She kept licking her lips over and over the entire time when swimming. LOL :p

If you have a way to video tape and take pictures when you have all the fish around, do so. What a wonderful, cherished memory for both you and your child for years to come.

I'm actually considering another cruise next year that will return to Cozumel (with other different ports with it). That's how much we loved it. :D

Enjoy your cruise!!

Mitsugirly- that was the most adorable video ever..

we are heading out on our 1st cruise in a week and our daughter was scared about the idea of snorkeling ("what if a fish nibbles my feet") and seeing your video just made her gush (mind you, our daughter is 15, so now we are teasing "look how fearless that little girl is"

thanks for sharing

Mitsugirly- that was the most adorable video ever..

we are heading out on our 1st cruise in a week and our daughter was scared about the idea of snorkeling ("what if a fish nibbles my feet") and seeing your video just made her gush (mind you, our daughter is 15, so now we are teasing "look how fearless that little girl is"

thanks for sharing

hehe, that's funny. They will only gather around you like that if you are feeding them. Other than that, they just swim around and don't come near enough to touch you. They are more afraid of you than you are of them (tell her). :)

Let me know how it goes with her. Have a WONDERFUL trip!

Archived