Passing Gibraltar

sirdavid

Many years ago in the Navy, we would get some "greenhorn" who had never been to sea before to stand watch and notify the bridge when we neared Gib and he saw the Prudential Life Insurance Co sign illuminated. Anyway, as previously mentioned, you can't miss "the rock" coming or going. The Strait of Gibraltar is only about 9 miles wide, so you see Africa on one side and Europe on the other.

Have a good trip!

Regards, captgeo

Hello Sirdavid,

We,re doing the Barcelona to Miami repo in just over 2 weeks time,

I'll be sure to check the view for you and possibly post some picks on

my return mid Nov, hope you can wait that long!

I've been researching our cruise for over 12 months and I still

dont know much.

Good Luck

Roger

On transatlantic crossing either WB or EB do you ever get a view of Gibraltar pass through the straights?

Depends on your routing. We've done 5 transatlantics but have only passed the Rock of Gibraltar once. That was when we had some Mediterranean ports on our itinerary in addition to the ta.

Sorry I should have made my routing clearer... I'm booked Miami to Barcelona on the Epic April 14, 2012... an am thinking of booking the W/B cruise in October 2012. In both case we have to transit the straights of Gibraltar. Hoping to get a view of the "Rock."

Sorry I should have made my routing clearer... I'm booked Miami to Barcelona on the Epic April 14, 2012... an am thinking of booking the W/B cruise in October 2012. In both case we have to transit the straights of Gibraltar. Hoping to get a view of the "Rock."

On Epic EB Miami to Barcelona May 2011 we passed Gibraltar late in the evening & couldn't really see much other than distant lights. The cold wind and some mist didn't help. As we sailed through the straits on the African side we did though have a good view of the Moroccan coast, albeit at night. Still it was very exciting to see it.

John

On Epic EB Miami to Barcelona May 2011 we passed Gibraltar late in the evening & couldn't really see much other than distant lights. The cold wind and some mist didn't help. As we sailed through the straits on the African side we did though have a good view of the Moroccan coast, albeit at night. Still it was very exciting to see it.

John

We were on that EPIC TA, too, and very disappointed to see nothing as well. On the Gem the year before we also passed at night. Met a lady who'd been though about a dozen times on TAs and she'd seen it twice. I thought coming from the Azores we'd have better luck than we had coming from Cadiz, but the schedules seem to make it at night. These were eastbound...the person had been both ways and usually didn't see anything.

Archived